SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way for selling off a gun collection
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best way for selling off a gun collection Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I just lost a close friend (covid) with a really nice collection of guns, probably over 200. It includes a few Glocks, maybe a Ruger or two but for the most part pretty high end pieces; HK rifles and P7's, Wilson 1911's, Sig P210 and custom shop pistols, Walther PPK (German), Ed Brown, Colt Pythons, S&W 41's, various Browning, Beretta's etc.

His widow expressed interest in selling off some of them (maybe 1/2) in the near future. Any suggestions for her to get fair prices other than just listing them on GB?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
If you’re willing to help her out, listing them here may be an option.

If there is a trusted dealer in your area you may be able to do a consignment sale, or even sell them outright to the shop.

Posts: 1634 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
There's an auctioneer in my area who does a nice job of liquidating large gun-related collections. I can get you contact info if you'd like.

God bless America.

Posts: 13909 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If she is not experienced with selling these fine firearms, then let the pros do it. Consign them to excellent outfits like Keystone for example, at 15% fee. Their presentation is first-rate, and the returns are almost always beyond expectations.

Q

Posts: 27621 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Help her negotiate a deal with a local brick and mortar, have them consigned.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I have a very good friend who owns a pawn shop in Fairmont. He would consign or consider purchasing some I’m sure. Hit me with an email if you’d like me to put you in contact. I would also be interested in a python myself here in WV.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Posts: 1629 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Jack the Dog on Guns America. This guy does an amazing job in photography and consistently brings top buck.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I should add this is in AZ.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Jeff Quinn from GunBlast recently passed away and his brother (Boge)just made a video and said he is selling his brothers guns thru a dealer in Texas...Tyler Gun Works buy entire estates and he (Boge) was adamant about the dealer being upright.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry to hear of your friends passing. This is a scenario a lot of us have or will face or possibly even be the deceased. There is the auction route which some have mentioned but the fees vary from company to company. Brick and mortar shops are hit and miss. I’ve had some friends create a list with prices that are offered to friends/acquaintances first and whatever isn’t sold that route is then auctioned. Like rangemaster said I’d certainly be interested in a few of the HKs and other older guns if local sale is considered. Obviously you want to get as much as possible for your friend’s widow. My email is in my profile if she decides to sell some locally. I commend you for being willing to help your friend’s widow during this extremely difficult time.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1900 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’d be interested in a couple of the HK rifles if we could do a face to face.

I’ve never owned an HK rifle.

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If they're medium to high end weapons and there's possibly 100= That's quite a bit of money.

A local place \ brick and mortar won't have the audience you'd want and they'd probably want 25%.

A national seller, with the right audience and a sterling reputation would make sense. Any increase in cost would be made up for by the increased audience and exposure.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell her all major financial decisions should be deferred for a year. Becoming a widow is emotionally devastating. Better decisions are made after some time has passed.

You're a good friend. One of my friends died, and 3 of his friends tried to con her out of guns he had "promised" them.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with waiting. Don’t make any decisions on dispositions until you’re thinking clearly.

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
was adamant about the dealer being upright.

Keep in mind that they aren't all. That can work both ways. Its not that they want to cheat you, they just might not know what things can sell for.

A while back, like 20 years ago, I bought a P210-7. Yeah, its just a 22. But its one of the original -7 guns and had hardly been shot. A gem. I innocently asked what the price was and the dealer said he wanted $1850. Big Grin Then before I could even try to cheat him down, he suggested $1750 for a really rare gun. OK, I bought it, The cruised home at well under the speed limit on the interstate, smiling all the way! And I still haven't shot it.

Just because its a gun shop doesn't mean they're smart. I've since seen a well worn one with a $5000 asking price. And it only had one mag and no box!Big Grin Maybe the guy was selling it as "experienced".

Your job of helping a widow is to get as much as you can. If you're a buyer, find the dummy dealers.

Reality alert: Dealers will cheat you if they can or if you're stupid (as in not knowing the market value.) I've sold off a bunch of S&Ws, and thought I was pretty good. But I sold them through David Carroll. HE got me more than I ever could have. That was after his commission.

Wives make lousy sellers. Mine has the idea she'll just let our sons come and pick what they want. I can't think of a worse system. Breaking up pairs and such. IF your offspring don't want a gun for its connection to dad, Let them have what's left over.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences for your loss.

As far as the guns go it really depends. What's more important to her? Top dollar or convenience? At some point somebody is going to put a fair amount of time and effort into selling these to get a decent price for them. Can she do that? I suspect not. From a convenience standpoint I would suggest getting offers from a local shop if possible or one of the reputable auction places that does a lot of guns.

I used to do a lot of this when I ran a large retail shop. I wouldn't pay what they could sell them for on GB, but I'd pay cash and make it very easy to resolve. When you're talking 100+ guns the time and effort required to move them on GB is typically not small. I also wasn't out to rob people and would pay a fair price that left room for profit. There absolutely are dealers out there that will take advantage of a widow in this situation so she needs to be careful. One of the online auction houses is probably the best bet if you don't already have a trusted dealer in mind. It's going to be much easier for her to move these all through one place vs piecemealing them out. Best of luck.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If she is not experienced with selling these fine firearms, then let the pros do it. Consign them to excellent outfits like Keystone for example, at 15% fee. Their presentation is first-rate, and the returns are almost always beyond expectations.

This is what I would do. 15% is very reasonable.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the condolences.

quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Tell her all major financial decisions should be deferred for a year. Becoming a widow is emotionally devastating. Better decisions are made after some time has passed.

You're a good friend. One of my friends died, and 3 of his friends tried to con her out of guns he had "promised" them.

Good suggestion and I believe she now understands there's no real hurry. I think I'll buy a copy of Blue Book of Gun Values just to be able to give her a ballpark idea of the value of them. When it comes time I think a reputable outfit (preferably near Phoenix) that can market them on auction sites may be the best bet.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

That's valuable advice right there. I wouldn't have thought of it myself but I can recognize it. It's not like she's under the gun so to speak to liquidate at this point.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Do This and Keystone is a first class outfit. There are other good GB sellers too but Keystone is one of the best. 15% is a bargain too.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Report This Post