SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tabasco & the Military
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tabasco & the Military Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use Tabasco sauce at least 5 times a week which is kinda weird since I never ate hot food until I was in my 20's.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I've never tried Tabasco, but after reading these stories, I put it on the shopping list so I can try it on an omelet Thursday night. Cool

Just make sure you don't get any on the grill while frying hamburgers or other food. It will vaporize and run you out of the room. Big Grin

Toxic, is it? Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I'm like Justin Wilson I like Louisiana Original Hot Sauce better. I like the Cayenne flavor more than Tabasco peppers. Justin used it in his cooking.

Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
I've never tried Tabasco, but after reading these stories, I put it on the shopping list so I can try it on an omelet Thursday night. Cool

Just make sure you don't get any on the grill while frying hamburgers or other food. It will vaporize and run you out of the room. Big Grin

Don't put it in a flameless ration heater either.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

Don't put it in a flameless ration heater either.

GAS! GAS! GAS!

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I have fond memories of eating a quasi-frozen package of chicken a-la-king (squeezing the chunk up to my face) through the driver's hatch of my one one three with one hand while driving with the other hand, all on icy roads in Bavaria. Looking back, I might have been out of my mind, but hey, I was 19 and hungry. Smile

Tabasco was the only way to make some of those things bearable....

You are the reason as to why MP's drink. Wink

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
I like Louisiana Original Hot Sauce better. I like the Cayenne flavor more than Tabasco peppers.

Same here. It also has a bit less vinegar than Tabasco.

Frank's is another of my favorites.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
I like Louisiana Original Hot Sauce better. I like the Cayenne flavor more than Tabasco peppers.
Same here. It also has a bit less vinegar than Tabasco.

Frank's is another of my favorites.
My all-time favorite. I was introduced to Frank's when I was working as a contract programmer at BellSouth, in the Birmingham area. One of my favorite lunch places, Johnny Ray's, had a bottle on every table.

I wish we had a Johnny Ray's here in the north suburbs of Orlando.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was still eating c-rats from 1945... in 1980.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The regular Tabasco is pretty good, but my overall favorite from them is this one:

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The regular Tabasco is pretty good, but my overall favorite from them is this one:

^^^^The bee's knees!!!

Most soldiers I served with back in the 70s and 80s kept a 2-oz bottle of Tabasco sauce in their ammo pouch.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Try it on your popcorn.

Do IT.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Call me a cynic, but I thought it was because the head of the Armed Service Committee was Rep Hebert of Louisiana.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Call me a cynic, but I thought it was because the head of the Armed Service Committee was Rep Hebert of Louisiana.

I'm sure that helped!

I cringe to think what the USG paid for each of those tiny MRE Tabasco bottles, probably as much as a full-size bottle in the store knowing how that all works.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one of the small bottles, so I can try it tonight. Nothing says so on the bottle, should I refrigerate it after opening?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

My marines would get the MRE heater, put the enclosed Tabasco and add water, then toss into an enclosed space.

Yes, it would bring a tear to eyes.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got one of the small bottles, so I can try it tonight. Nothing says so on the bottle, should I refrigerate it after opening?

Depends if your fridge has space or becomes easily hidden in there. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're using it right, it shouldn't be around long enough to go bad Wink Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen a bottle go bad. It has lots of vinegar and while it may separate a little, just a shake, and it's as good as new again. I know I didn't really answer your question, but around here, the stuff sits out on restaurant tables all the time.

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish we had bottles of Tabasco when I was stationed in Korea.

ANYTHING just to give a good taste to powdered eggs and cans of C-rations.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, mutedblade. I'll leave it out, and if it starts to rumble or smoke, I have a neighbor I could throw it at.

Oh, and LS1 GTO...

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18