SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dying friend, advise sought.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dying friend, advise sought. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I have a lifetime friend who´s time is running out.

Met Bob in Buenos Aires back in ´87 or ´88 when he was a Panam flight engineer and I had gotten my first job selling computer software at the first specialized store in my city/country.
I provided him with IT wisdom and asked him to bring me computer related stuff every now and then.
We became good very friends and I used to end every trip to the US by staying at his home in FL for a few days and regrouping all my Computer Shopper originated purchases prior to my return flight.
Most karmas I ever won here were received by him while waiting for the opportunity to reach my hands.
We´ve kept in touch for over 30 years. I haven´t made it to the US for the past 15, there have been too many obstacles.

He´s been telling me for a while that his doctor told him he should be dead by now. He shouldn´t have made it past early Dec.

Just can´t face the fact.

I tell him and myself that I´l do my best to get a US visa at soonest and fly there. Not easily accomplished.

Any advise on should I do or how to rationalize these facts? We´re all getting older, Bob is just 10 older than me. In his early 70s. One thing is to lose touch with friends, another to know they are alive and well but not in touch and then there´s this, when you know a dear friend´s breath might be his last any minute now.

Thanks for reading.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12112 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My heart aches for you. Could you send letters or email to keep correspondence up while he handles his affairs?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went through a similar situation about a year ago. (About a 4 hour flight apart). We had a number of phone conversations, just staying in touch. I also wrote him a letter explaining how much his friendship had meant to me. I was fortunate to be able to visit a couple of times as well. (Something that was initially very hard for me to do, but so glad I did it).
His wife later told me that the letter meant a lot to him.
None of it was easy but I'm really glad I was able to spend some quality time both in person and on the phone.
Guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to test your comfort zone. You won't regret it.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
keep in touch with him as best as you can. We can only be responsible for the things under our control. If things happened that prevent you from coming to visit him; don't put that on yourself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
If you can’t make it in person, just stay in touch. Phone calls, emails, texts...

The sad reality of someone going through the last stages is people with whom they are close, tend to distance themselves. Maybe the pain is too hard for them to handle. I don’t have an answer.

Just treat him as your friend, the same way you would want to be treated if the roles were reversed.

God Bless,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any advise on should I do or how to rationalize these facts?

condolences on your situation; had similar loss myself recently. My best buddy from grade school 1953 recently suddenly passed. We had visited just a few months prior, and he was otherwise healthy.

The odd thing this trip was we had scheduled a special little adventure pending my visit to his place. I called the night before heading his way, and was told of 'unexpected complications'. Met him in his intensive care room a few days later.

Even in his barely confirmed terminal diagnosis, he was absolutely realistic about the circumstance and short time frame. Instead of weeks perhaps, a few months....it was less than one week.

I've learned a lot about the sudden reality of grieving recently, that prior passing of friends/family members did not produce.

It helped me to meet/visit with some of his other friends I had not met before, to get over the shock. You will find emotional support if you look for it.

Strength & serenity will come.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Is Skype or Facetime or something similar a possibility?

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Do your best to reach out. Whether that be by phone, text, email, or if you can, by flight as you said.

You can never recapture the lost time, trust me since I lost my Dad and Mom, just do your best.

Both of you will appreciate your best efforts.

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Nicki,

Zoom.us offers basic accounts. A basic account is free for peer to peer meetings using VoIP. You can talk in the time you have together.

Be well.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun Zeke:
Is Skype or Facetime or something similar a possibility?

That’s a good idea.

Keep in touch as best you can, even a simple text lets them know you’re thinking of them.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
If you can’t make it in person, just stay in touch. Phone calls, emails, texts...

The sad reality of someone going through the last stages is people with whom they are close, tend to distance themselves. Maybe the pain is too hard for them to handle. I don’t have an answer.

Just treat him as your friend, the same way you would want to be treated if the roles were reversed.

God Bless,
Smith

What Smith said. And don't take it personal if he breaks off contact. I've been through that with a friend also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

In my case with someone who while we weren’t “close” - (she was the sister of
a *very* dear friend), she and I didn’t have the deep connection her brother and I had.

I just didn’t know what to say.

I told her brother this and he said “A lot of people are feeling that. It can be awkward.
I loved her and admired her but...there just weren’t any words that didn’t seem like tired cliches.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would write a carefully composed letter to your friend that expresses whatever you may want to convey to him.

The written word has much, much greater impact than a simple email or phone call - if it's done right.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So, so sorry to hear this bad news.

I lost my best buddy about 3-4 years ago. We lived next door to each other.

We knew the end was near for him (raging cancer) and he had done all the radiation therapy stuff, none of which helped, only burned the crap out of him to the point that nearly all the skin on his head was burned black.

I spent hours sitting on his front porch with him, just talking about everything but his cancer.

One day he asked me what he should do about his cancer, that the doctors told him that he didn't have much time. (Damn screen acting up again, happens a lot when I think about Pete).

I told him I could not tell him what to do, but if it were me I would stop all those treatments as they were just torturing him.

He did, and about 2 weeks later he died in his sleep. Every day until his death we sat on his front porch, drinking coffee together. Sometimes not even talking. Just being together in the spring air.

In short, since you cannot be with him, just communicate as often, as long as you can.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Most definitely Skype is the way to go.
We do this, no problem. We`ve been doing it for years, matter of fact.

What tears me up is the fact that both, F2F and in writing, he`s at peace with the fact that his time is over. Never have seen someone as calm. Guess I picture myself kicking and screaming, just like in the way in.

Thank you all for your words. Just like I advised P220 smudge, I`ll try to be the best man I can be and stay with my dear friend as long as he can.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12112 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Three days ago marks the third anniversary of losing a friend to cancer, she and I had been friends since junior high and though we had lost touch with each other for a few years she found me again through the internet (she lived in another state) and we continued to correspond through her stage four cancer, her various chemotherapy treatments, her unsuccessful bid for a clinical trial treatment and her entering hospice. We used messenger to do this daily, sadly we never managed to get together in person where I could have given her an actual hug, instead of merely saying that was my wish. I think of Denise often and miss her greatly and admired her incredible strength and courage. My point to all this is find the way to correspond with your friend, whatever works best for both of you, I don’t think you’ll regret it, I’m glad I had what time I had with my friend.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
I would write a carefully composed letter to your friend that expresses whatever you may want to convey to him.

The written word has much, much greater impact than a simple email or phone call - if it's done right.

V.

Perfect, I was going to say the same thing! The written word in your own handwriting is much more heart felt than anything you can type. Even if your writing is sloppy and you don't like writing it is still much more meaningful.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this 0-0, currently I'm at that time that I've lost just about all my friends to age and health issues. It never gets easier losing them. My very closest friend we could just look at one another in unspoken words understood the depth of friendship just sitting quietly together. I miss them all but in my beliefs, I too shall see them again one day and can look forward to a glorious homecoming among them all. I will offer you and your friend my prayers. You seem like a great friend, thats worth everything.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have no other advise beyond what has been previously offered but I want to add my condolences.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6320 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
What city or area of Florida? We live 20 miles (32Km) north of Tampa will offer our guestroom for you to visit your friend if that will help. We both have weekends off and will drive you wherever we can.

If it helps, TSM11 speaks "REAL" Smile Portuguese as her family comes from Portugal and her mother taught her.

Email me at Rotndad@Gmail.com if we can help.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post