SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possible Auroras?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Auroras? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
https://www.spaceweather.com/
quote:
SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: Arriving earlier than expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field today, April 23rd, at 1737 UT. The impact sparked a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm with auroras in Europe sighted as far south as France. The storm is still going on and could produce auroras over the USA after nightfall.

I hope it’s clear and some of us get to see this.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
We're north of you - right on the south shore of Lake Ontario. It's cloudy but supposed to clear. I hope to see it but may not be able to stay up late enough because it's a school night.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
We're north of you - right on the south shore of Lake Ontario. It's cloudy but supposed to clear. I hope to see it but may not be able to stay up late enough because it's a school night.
Yes, it’s too cloudy here as well. I’ll be up for a short while longer and I’ll check from time to time.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. It's also supposed to the height of the Lyrid meteor shower tonight, with an estimated 18 per hour. Be a good night for sky watching. I just hope I'm not too far south to see anything neat.

Posts: 17202 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As is the problem here in this area for every celestial event, we have 80%+ cloud cover tonight.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Socked in here in the Yoop, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16118 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Plainly visible. It’s not the bright green and blue dancing stuff I saw the one time living on the Canadian border, but it’s visible with the naked eye. Thought it was cirrus clouds at first, until I spotted the lone real cloud in the sky nowhere near what I was looking at. It’s taking up most of the northern half of the sky right now. I’ll check back in a bit.

If you have clear skies where you live, get yourself outside and have a look. If I can see it this plainly this far south, others will have a better view.

Posts: 17202 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It would be impressive were it not for our crappy weather.

It's completely blown out the ham radio bands though.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Clear sky here in SLC. Checked several times throughout the night and didn't see a damn thing. Screw it i'm going to bed.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Too much surronding light plus too far south down here in southeastern Louisiana.... But got to see many many of these light shows while living in Alaska for at least 6 winters.... Any thing from barely able to see anything to massive light show from horizon to horizon with massive color changes... The scientist claim that they do not make sounds that the human ear can here which I disagree with because of personal experience. ....... drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We had complete cloud cover. I ended up falling asleep before any cleaning occurred.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
Pretty good show here in MN last night. Clouds to the north diminished the full effect unfortunately. Spent 90 minutes out in the cornfields staring up. Kind of like watching fog banks flying past at 75mph straight overhead much of the time.

Finally got too cold around 0100 and went back indoors.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5164 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing cool photos from people in my area who captured it - at 02:30. I went to bed way before that.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post