SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some questions for cyclists that ride or race gravel bikes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions for cyclists that ride or race gravel bikes Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have been looking at some gravel bikes because it looks like that would be fun. I need advice on gear, bikes and maybe a forum I can be directed to. I don’t want to spend $2k on a bike until I know I like it. Is throwing a set of 700x32 gravel tires on my Trek Domane SL5 feasible?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trek Domane SL5

You raise many questions by omission. The above model come with or w/0 disc brakes. Many gravel enthusiasts would require disc for wet conditions or possibility of bent/wobbly wheels. Specs I briefly read show different geometry and wheels/tires between the 2 models.

If you do not have the disc model, you may have the wrong platform for ideal gravel riding.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2077 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It has rim brakes... so that appears to complicate things a bit. I am looking at the Niner RLT carbon.

https://www.competitivecyclist...OmNhdDEwMDIxMjc5Mg==

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trek Domane SL5

Brake type is indeed an issue, although my brother has an older gravel bike with rim brakes, your bigger issue will be tire clearance. My Giant Revolt 0 came with 700x40 and will accept up to 45mm, slightly larger if I drop down to 650b hoops, looks like the newer Trek you reference maxes out at 38mm. Definitely a marked improvement over road skinnies (I got ridiculed when I moved to 25s on the road bike) but the sweet spot seems to be 40-45 for hard pack gravel. Starting to see drop bar gravel bikes running 50mm tires in some less technical XC mountain bike races around here as of late too...

No mater what you go with, make sure you set it up tubeless and run the lowest pressure you can. For me that’s in the 35-40psi range compared to 85-90psi for road.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
forums.mtbr.com has a gravel bike section. There are a bunch of really good YouTube videos also. I have a new interest in getting a gravel bike with 40c tires to have a little more comfort even on road rides. My 25 year old Cannondale with 25c tires isn't any fun to ride even on rough city streets. I have a never ending supply of gravel roads in Oklahoma to go exploring.

I like the look of the Marin Headlands bike, I think it will fit me well.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post