SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We had a scam caller this morning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We had a scam caller this morning Login/Join 
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted
My son and I were spending the weekend with my folks. The phone rang early and my Mom picked it up. it was Sgt Miller from the Virgina Beach sheriff’s office. He said he was processing warrants and my dads name came up. Eventually he missed jury duty and there was a warrant for his arrest.
It made my Mom visibly upset. The guy had all my folks information. It made it even more upsetting. I got my mom to give the phone to my son. I called the non emergency police and before I was done explaining I was told it was a scam. They also verified there was no warrants on my dad. He’s 86.
My son keep the guy on the phone for a while. He convinced him he was driving to the store to get some “green Dot Money Packs” . When the guy explained how to scape the back of the cards for the numbers my son told him he was still on the land line and the cord didn’t reach.

The dregs of society...where do they come from

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that anyone would fall for these scams but not knowing the procedures some could get fooled. I feel bad when the elderly get scammed as many times there is little to be done.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m officially a senior citizen, I’m getting those kind of calls almost every day now.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
IRS is coming to pick my wife up again. She refuses to buy any Green Dot or Itunes cards, she said it's time for a vacation from babysitting the grandkids.....I'm inclined to agree some days.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Virginia, but in Texas anyone 70 or over is automatically excused from jury duty. I'm pretty sure other states have similar rules and regulations.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2193 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I don't know about Virginia, but in Texas anyone 70 or over is automatically excused from jury duty. I'm pretty sure other states have similar rules and regulations.
Florida, I don't think it's automatic, but it is granted if requested.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Az. is the same. ^^^^^

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
In their final years, my parents were constant targets of phone scammers. It infuriated me, and there seemed to be nothing I could do as they both were easily confused. I contacted local law enforcement and even the state attorney general's office (they had a program for this sort of thing) and although sympathetic, there wasn't a whole lot they could do.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8534 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
CT is the same - 70 or over and you don't have to serve.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16538 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd be screwed, I don't even know what a green dot card is.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Are green dot cards the same as S&H green stamps? Wink

Posts: 3737 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they try to scam the wrong people...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/vp0z0keOd8w

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife has been getting emails. The typical “We’re about to ship your order” and an option to cancel. Just add password credit card etc. I’m hoping I’ve caught all of them. She is also incapable of not answering a phone. “It May be someone we know” my reply, “If they are they’ll leave a voicemail.”
I think we have an ingrained habit to respond. It used to be that when the phone rang it was from someone you knew. With bills you didn’t want to be in debt. Now almost all the calls on my landline are scams. Why keep it? That’s what I give when I absolutely have to give a number. Guess I’d better get Nomorobo and set the land line to voicemail.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This is a multi-trillion dollar a year industry. And for the most part, it goes without punishment due to the offenders being off shore. Lawless places like Nigeria, and Jamaica seem to be hot beds for it. There is very little that US Law Enforcement can do, and Homeland doesn't care unless the loss is greater than 5 million US.

Over the last year, my unit was sticking it to them. We were tracking the accounts that the scam transactions were going to and seizing them as a part of civil asset forfeiture. We would then hold hearings, send letters and subpoenas to the shell corporations that the money had been seized and they can come to our office and claim it. Of course, no one ever showed, and we distributed the money back to the victims. I suppose that will now stop with the latest SCOTUS ruling, and the small dent we were making in it will again go away to no punishment.

This sort of thing seems to be about like trying to convince people to lock their doors, lock up their vehicles, not store valuables and guns in their vehicles, etc. People fall for it. No matter how much you get the word out, they still are more than willing to fall for it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If I had a dollar for all my warrants domestic and international I wouldn’t need to be working with this really nice Nigerian gentleman to help him move his money stateside. I am getting a killer commission for this Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
This guy just might have the answer. Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have a friend I used to work with who lost a large sum of money to the IRS is coming to get you phone scam.
He had just gotten a loan to consolidate bills and the person who called had all his personal information.
I told him to send the police the the bank to investigate to see if his personal information had been compromised but they said they could not do that.

My old bosses sister had been scammed not once but twice with the lottery scam. They got caught up in the I am going to be rich dream.

My wife and I have cable service for our phone,cable and internet. When some one calls us it pops up on our T.V. If we do not recognize the number of person calling we let the answering machine pick it up.
We get the IRS calls, the Microsoft calls, the you owe money calls or the we are looking for this person calls at least 2 to 3 time a week for about 6 months than they stop for a while then they start up again. I can't tell you how many times in the last 15 years the sheriff was suppose to come get me. At this point I am still waiting.

I feel bad for the people who get scammed. Some people have lost their life savings to scammers.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Huh, these scammers are getting bolder and more informed. We let everything go to voicemail. Figured if it was important, they’d leave a message. Have had many of the computer generated voice messages that we were going to be charged $499.99 for some reason if we didn’t answer and tell them we cancelled. Never did say what we were supposed to cancel. Big Grin

Posts: 1127 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also beware of official looking emails from credit card companies wanting to "confirm your information". I've gotten several of those.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Every one of these damn calls I just say “Come get some boy” and hang up.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post