SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    who makes toyota’s motor oil ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who makes toyota’s motor oil ? Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

Which oil company produces Toyota Genuine Motor Oil ?

Thanks!

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which oil company produces Toyota Genuine Motor Oil
This should be the subject line of your thread, not "TGMO". No one will know what this means. Please edit your subject line.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
LMGTFY:TGMOIMBM

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Exxon Mobil

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
In the US, normally Mobil makes Toyota oil to Toyota specifications. It is not the same specifications as Mobil Synthetic if that is what your thinking. VOA have shown it is not identical.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It is basically Mobil 1 with extra Molybdenum added, which is an anti-wear additive. It is a great oil.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
LMGTFY:TGMOIMBM

In this case I applaud your nebulous use of acronyms. Well played, sir.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I think it might be Mobil. Anyone?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No manufacturing company makes it's own oil,

HD Oil is Citgo

Toyboyah is Mobil1

Each is made to the companies specs.

For oil fun facts www.bobistheoilguy.com

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lube plants are interesting. It's not my field in the oil & gas industry, but I've been able to to tour two.

It's demand driven (order some and they'll make some) unlike gasoline (run refineries at full-tilt until next turnaround or something breaks).

Very flexible assembly line that can make a lot of different blends for their own products and for others (e.g. Toyota).

They can fill quite a few different size and shape bottles. The new thing in lubes is to ditch the bottle entirely and have a cardboard box with a bag/liner and spigot. The retailer does't have to pay someone to unpack the 1 quart or 5 quart bottles, the retailer doesn't have to recycle cardboard, and it takes less energy to make at the lube plant.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info!

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This silliness over branded oil always cracks me up. If you buy a synthetic oil that has all the certifications (like Mobil1 or even Walmart SuperTech) and change it and your oil filter on a regular, consistent, basis, your Toyota will last forever. Buying Toyota branded oil is about as effective as burning a pile of cash on the driveway. Buy a good oil when its on sale and you'll be ready to go when its time for a change.

Caveat: If you drive a car with a super high performance motor (i.e. BMW, MB, Porsche turbo V6's and V8's) then I would recommend filling with whatever the manufacturer specs/recommends for that motor.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Toyota factory fill oil is supplied by Tonen, a company related to ExxonMobil. It is qualified by Toyota engineers, and the tests they specify are not always known to the additive supplier. Most often in Japan the oil supplier requests the additive supplier to create an additive, but can not disclose the OEM tests or the test data. They can only ask for corrections to the formulation, with phrases like "improve the extreme pressure protection." It is challenging to formulate for OEMs like Toyota.

If you are asking, by inference, "How do I purchase Toyota factory fill oil but not pay the price the dealer quotes me?" the answer is "You can't buy Toyota branded oil without paying the price quoted by the vendor." There is no generic substitute.

If you are asking, as most people do, "What oil should I buy for my Toyota?" the question is easy to answer. Buy what makes you the most satisfied. If you prefer OEM oil, Toyota-branded, pay the price. If you want a great synthetic oil, choose one like Mobil 1. If you want a cheap and effective motor oil, look for the API certification required by the manufacturer and buy that.

It takes millions of dollars to formulate and qualify a motor oil. The tests are very well managed, and cover all the typical requirements of the engine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No manufacturing company makes it's own oil,

HD Oil is Citgo

Toyboyah is Mobil1

Each is made to the companies specs.

For oil fun facts www.bobistheoilguy.com

Beretta oil has a Valvoline logo on the bottle.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
In Japan is was made by Idemitsu. Spell check that. Cant find it here but Amazon has it. Expensive juice.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had an oil change done on my 2020 T4R today at the dealership

Looks like Pennzoil has the bulk contract now for synthetic 0W20 according to my invoice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I just had an oil change done on my 2020 T4R today at the dealership

Looks like Pennzoil has the bulk contract now for synthetic 0W20 according to my invoice

The dealers bulk tanks can be filled with anything the local Toyota dealer ask for. That is available from the local oil distributor they buy from.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
In Japan is was made by Idemitsu. Spell check that. Cant find it here but Amazon has it. Expensive juice.

Correct...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned as long as you use a recommended oil and change it as specified that’s about all you can do.

Toyota has actually had a ton of oil sludge issues but it seems mostly caused by engine design and not so much oil problems.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post