SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teens Are Protesting In-Class Presentations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teens Are Protesting In-Class Presentations Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Remember when your biggest stresser in HS was getting called to write on the board with a badly timed boner?

Ha! I still remember stalling by pretending to dig around for something in my bag!

Thanks for bringing back traumatic memories. Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Students who support abolishing in-class presentations argue that forcing students with anxiety to present in front of their peers is not only unfair because they are bound to underperform and receive a lower grade, but it can also cause long-term stress and harm.

This is really pathetic. And what about those students who excel at public speaking? Who enjoy it and perform it naturally? Maybe they're great at that but suck at science or math or just written tests in general. Should we abolish those subjects as well because some students feel anxious about it?

Jesus Christ, since when do we care so much about what high school students think? They are irrelevant and unproven in the world. Just up and do what you're told, you little self-absorbed, arrogant nothings.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I'm guessing a lot has to do with the gradual surrendering of parental duties to the State, under the guise of "education."

We reap what we sow.

True, but it also seems to come from that asinine "everybody gets a trophy" bullshit.

In my career I was required to do presentations to literally 100s of people at a time, and given the budget, schedule etc topics not all of them were friendly! But they had to be done. I once read a science fiction story about a society in which nobody left their "safe space". All communications were accomplished via what we call today "smart phones". As expected that society was dying out.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
. . or we could help kids by providing them the tools to overcome anxiety. Like building self-confidence, practicing the presentation, being knowledgeable about what they are presenting. Shit even yoga or meditation.

This idea that we must avoid what makes us uncomfortable is bonkers.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Lovely.

So we are going to get EVEN MORE young people not ready for adult life after they get out of school.
Roll Eyes

I went back to school around age 28, in the early 2000's and started with community college and I recall a class where we all had to do presentations up front. There was this one girl, 18 or 19 who was as mousy as can be, never said BOO, never hardly talked. When it was her turn to speak on a topic she was expert in (the assignment was just that), she gets up to the front of the classroom and proceeds to speak for 8-10 minutes or so in a very confident, clear voice about Barbie Dolls! The history, the background, the different types, on and on and she was GREAT! The mousy, quiet girl had just vanished for that 8-10 minutes.

There was another girl I recall, I guess 18 or 19 as well and she was quite attractive and well-endowed and the poor girl was nervous and her body reaction to being nervous in front of everyone was that her nipples went rock-hard and stayed that way the entire time. Oh boy. Eek

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I say more power to them. If they want to prove to the rest of the world at such a young age that they're going to be followers and not leaders, let them.

What does speaking to an audience have to do with being leader vs. a follower? Well I don't think followers have to brief others, at least not from what I've experienced.

I had a company commander who was a damn good briefer. As the company fire support officer, I would provide him information last minute (that's what our schedules dictated) and he would knock that shit out like a champ to the battalion commander. I have brief battalion and brigade commanders.

At graduate school we do class presentations all the time.

If they don't want to do it, just let them sign their own future failures in life card now.

Life isn't about doing shit you're comfortable at doing. If you want to grow, get the fuck out of your comfort zone, the real world doesn't care about that anyway.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
I suffer from near-debilitating anxiety when it comes to public speaking. My return to college has required some form of public speaking in almost every class and I'm surviving. I'm glad for it because it is preparing me for my future. I get why these kids don't like it but if the schools cave to this the children are doomed in their future careers. In a recent class we were given an industry research article showing that the most important skills, regardless of career path, is the soft skills. Interpersonal communication, public speaking, and the ability to work as a team were at the top of the list for the most desired skills from an employer perspective.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Future plantation dwellers you younger folks will have to feed like I helped from the seventies. And the vote demorat.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Future plantation dwellers you younger folks will have to feed like I helped from the seventies. And they vote demorat.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Remember when your biggest stresser in HS was getting called to write on the board with a badly timed boner?

Stupid thing caused me more stress and anxiety when I was young than everything else combined Mad

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll que up Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

From 1st to 8th grade (Catholic School in the 50's) we were expected to stand straight up, arms @ our sides, make eye contact with classmates and look @ Sister Mary or another Saint named nun for her reassuring nod.

The "Penguins" would stroll about the class administrating corporal punishment for those talking, picking their nose or farting. I always had the problem of laughing when I saw a nun quick stepping & whacking the offender, the class always faced forward as the good sister worked the back & sides of the room. I couldn't help laughing cuz I knew what was coming. I'd get my cuffing after my classmates got his (hers). We had to finish our reports or speeches while wiping a tear or rubbing a check. God those were the days! Public high school was a breeze.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So the little SJW NAZIs can show up in a mob to deny someone else their actual Constitutional Rights by blocking roadways, screaming, shouting and throwing things, all in front of the media and the nation but they want a pass when they have to stand in front of their 20 person (or thing...whatever new genders there are this week) class to actual present something and show they did the assignment.......ok. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3941 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post