SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inspirational quotes or sayings.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspirational quotes or sayings. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Saw this on FB so I have no one to attirbute it too, but it made me think. While I desire things in life, I currently have everything I need and most everything I want. Things didn't used to be so Rosey.

Post your favorite quote/saying.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke (maybe)

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence:

"From bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance;
from abundance to selfishness;
from selfishness to apathy;
from apathy to dependence;
from dependency back again into bondage."

Alexander Tytler (maybe)

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.-Philo of Alexandria

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Why are women so uptight? They got half the money and all the pussy. ~Richard Pryor

One thing you can give and still keep is your word. ~Mom

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be bloody, bold and resolute.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
No matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/KFwUcEwD4l4

Don't be an idiot...simple, yet highly effective.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Be the ball -- Ty Webb

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You don’t have to like it.....you just have to do it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body"

CS Lewis

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
"Never trust a fart"

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Way back in high school the newspaper would print a quote of the week in the Sunday paper. I used to cut out the ones I liked and tape them to the blotter on my desk. This one was at the top and as I have gone thru life and faced situations it always comes to mind:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
When writing the story of your life, don’t let anyone else hold the pen.
- Warren Zevon

Posts: 13262 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
When I decided to go back to school, I got a lot of “advice” from family members telling me it was a bad idea. I put this quote on the wall above my and decided I was going to sign up anyway.

Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try nothing and succeed. - Lloyd Jones

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
When I decided to go back to school, I got a lot of “advice” from family members telling me it was a bad idea. I put this quote on the wall above my and decided I was going to sign up anyway.

Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try nothing and succeed. - Lloyd Jones

Reminds me when my ex wife went to medical school, she had a guy in her class who started when he was 44 years old, after a career in banking up to that point. Someone said 'You'll be 48 years old when you graduate, why would you do that?!?' He said, "How old will I be in 4 years if I don't do it?"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
"How old will I be in 4 years if I don't do it?"

I love this.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Teach a man how to build a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Okay, so that wasn't very inspirational...

Take a look around. Think about yourself, your family, everything you have, and all of the horrible stuff that has never happened to you.

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My first legal job was with a now-gone Chicago grocery chain. The General Counsel was a retired Army Major and one of the things he taught me was that executives have people bringing them problems all day long and expect them to solve them. He told me he didn't hire me to bring him more problems, he wanted me to bring him solutions. He might not agree with the proposed solution, but he wanted me to think of a solution instead of just bringing him another problem.

Years later, I came across this quote by Stephen Covey which captures my old boss very well: "People who end up with the good jobs are the proactive ones who are solutions to problems, not problems themselves, who seize the initiative to do whatever is necessary, consistent with correct principles, to get the job done."

(He also drilled me in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I suspect he wouldn't last long in today's corporate culture. Big Grin )

I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Teach a man how to build a fire, he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Okay, so that wasn't very inspirational...

Take a look around. Think about yourself, your family, everything you have, and all of the horrible stuff that has never happened to you.

Flattery is partly when others take-up a thought you had.

It was over 20 years ago when I said that --

"Make a fire for a man
and you warm him for the night.
Light him on fire
and you warm him for the rest of his life."

Another was --
A journey of a thousand miles
starts with being pushed back from the gate.

One was cause of all the fuss about fish
and the other because these days we do not actually walk great distances.

--more quirky than profound Wink
Motivational -- The harder I work, The luckier I seem to be.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Get the fuck back up and get the fuck back into the fight!"

Marine Corps Drill Instructor Sgt Darrell Farr.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
Michael Jordan.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8349 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post