SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DIY Teardrop Camper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Teardrop Camper Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Saw an article on this yesterday & thought it was pretty interesting.
At $5-7k it's significantly cheaper than a mfg trailer. From what I've found, most 2 person teardrops are $10k+
Have to factor in the 250 est hrs for assembly & some building skill, but a neat concept.

Their test tow vehicles were a Honda Fit & VW GTI, so just about anything should be capable of towing it

https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
That is pretty slick. Not sure I could give up my bathroom in my MiniLite, but the improved gas mileage would be nice!

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure my shed is quite big enough to build it.
Need a new project since I sold the Lotus & my other option seems to have fizzled out of possibility.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Assuming you have more than a Honda Fit as a tow vehicle, you might consider a cargo trailer conversion.

Posts: 10962 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely have sufficient tow vehicle for a much larger RV, just thought this was a neat concept/project.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s neat and who doesn’t like varnished mahogany? But, I look at it and say where do you sit play cards or Monopoly when it’s raining? Where do you make a meal and eat it when it’s raining? Then, I start thinking about what I could do with $5-7k, 250 hours of my time, and an enclosed trailer. Searching the internet for cargo trailer camper conversions reveals a lot of interesting ideas.

Building one of their kayaks was a great project. I may build three more with my kids when we get a few other projects finished.

Posts: 10962 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
While interesting design & execution, I'm simply too claustrophobic even if I did fit inside there.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I like cozy spaces like that. Despite not having a can and no space for your Monopoloy board, it still would be a neat place to spend a rainy night.

Posts: 107625 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not overly different than a smaller pop up tent, but more weatherproof.

With 3 young kids & a dog, it wouldn't really work for us right now, unless it were just me & the wife getting away for a weekend.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Room for you and a hooker and a six-pack and that's about all.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107625 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The first & last, I'll take. Pass on the 2nd Wink

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Everything you need and nothing you don't! lol

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's gorgeous. RVs and campers have always fallen short with me when I think of all the airline tickets and hotel rooms I could buy with the payments, gas and insurance. This is a stronger augment.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^With 5 of us and a dog, I think of all the money I save on airline tickets and hotel rooms.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Don’t spoil this year’s Sigforum camporee. The real excitement of course is going to come at the end of the event, during Sexual Awareness week. We import two hundred hookers from around the world, and each camper, armed with only a thermos of coffee and two thousand dollars cash, tries to visit as many countries as he can. The winner of course is named King of Sexual Awareness week. I think we’re still on for pillaging, too.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Teardrops are cool. They are fully enclosed, can be towed by just about anything, and are nimble enough to go most places that the tow vehicle can get them. They also have the advantage of being hard-sided, so there's no canvas to tear, mold, or rot. I like a unit that I can take on a road trip, pull into a spot after dark, and leave at sunup with minimal setup and teardown...teardrops fill that role nicely. As others have mentioned, they also tend to be far better constructed than most commercial offerings, and as a DIY project are much cheaper than buying a ready-made RV.

The downfall for me is that I have a family of six, and there's just no way we are all fitting in a teardrop. I ended up converting a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer, and we've used it to camp all over the country, literally from the Pacific to the Atlantic the first year that we had it. I have about $2500 in it, and it has more than paid for itself in hotel costs over the 7 years we've owned it, even after factoring upkeep and gas mileage.

If you're the sort of person that wants all the comforts of home on a trip, something like this isn't for you. But as a replacement for a tent with the added advantages of no setup/teardown, robust protection from inclement weather, and a wall between you and hungry animals, they're hard to beat.

Posts: 8581 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like cozy spaces like that. Despite not having a can and no space for your Monopoloy board, it still would be a neat place to spend a rainy night.

I’m in the opposite camp. I looked at that and how when you sleep your legs go under the kitchen… the claustrophobia is strong with that one.

Yeah room for you, the hooker, and a sixer, but due to the leg room, all you can do with the hooker is drink and cuddle. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

I’m in the opposite camp. I looked at that and how when you sleep your legs go under the kitchen… the claustrophobia is strong with that one.

Yeah room for you, the hooker, and a sixer, but due to the leg room, all you can do with the hooker is drink and cuddle. Razz

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Maybe with some full size trailer tires. Someone come along and figure out the rpm on those tiny tires at 70-80mph....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12424 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I believe their recommended trailer has both 8 & 12 inch tire options.

Would be interesting to sere an overlanding setup with one of these.

I think with bigger tires, you could run into door interference. I've read a few build logs where they had to run with no fenders due to door clearance.

Saw another where they nixed the trailer completely & mounted independent suspension/hubs directly to the camper shell.