SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honolulu Hawaii disarms medical marijuana card holders...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honolulu Hawaii disarms medical marijuana card holders... Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Oops. Will the whole state follow suit? Wonder about other medical only states (where there is a clear documentary record), let alone CO, WA, CO and other "legalized" states do?

Honolulu Police Order Medical Marijuana Cardholders to Surrender Their Firearms - 29 Nov 2017

The Honolulu Police Department is ordering medical marijuana cardholders to surrender their firearms within a 30-day window of time.
KITV reports that Honolulu police are doing this via letters to cardholders demanding they “surrender weapons, permits, and ammunition to HPD or to transfer ownership.”

On November 28 The Honolulu Star reported that police have been sending letters throughout the year and the one dated November 13 was signed by HPD chief Susan Ballard. It says, “Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition.”

Ballard points to Hawaii Revised Statutes, Section 134-7 (a), which says, “No person who is a fugitive from justice or is a person prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under federal law shall own, possess, or control any firearm or ammunition therefor.”

On August 31, 2016, Breitbart News reported that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that a ban on gun ownership for medical marijuana users is constitutional. The decision was based on the fact that marijuana use remains illegal on the federal level, whether state-sanctioned or not. This means medical marijuana cardholders cannot pass background check form 4473 and, therefore, cannot legally purchase a firearm.

Form 4473 asks if the would-be firearm purchaser is “an unlawful user of…marijuana.” No one who answers “yes” to that question can purchase a gun.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-surrender-firearms/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The police need to cut the stupid shit and acknowledge what they already know, which is that the United States is in a period of transition with regards to marijuana use, and to fuck with the citizens under these contradictory circumstances is simply wrong.

Anyone who is paying attention to this issue can see that before too long, all 50 states will have decriminalized marijuana possession and the Federal government will then follow suit and reclassify marijuana, because Uncle Sugar just can't be missing out on all those tax dollars that they will grub and squander.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I think Colorado does something similar. Medical weed card or CCW card. Can't have both.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it's basically a federal violation.

Interesting that the City (effectively County) Police Chief is so fired up to enforce federal law.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
They picks and chooses.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Makes as much sense as doing it to someone who had a beer last week, or a cigar.

Idiots.

Of course, the root cause of this nonsense lies in the absurd scheduling as it stands.

Until that's fixed (federal declassification, once and for all) such idiocy will persist.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
They picks and chooses.

Which is more dangerous? Gun owner that smokes ganja or illegal aliens?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
So it's basically a federal violation.

Interesting that the City (effectively County) Police Chief is so fired up to enforce federal law.

-------------------------------------

I would challenge this is a press a liberal mayor (Honolulu) and the state's governor.

When will a buyer be required to present a photo ID, and said ID is copied, to purchase weed? I think that is only a matter of time unless the federal government changes its laws.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Hawaii is one of the most "gun-unfriendly" states already, I'm surprised it took them this long.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The very idea that there's any meaningful relationship of a dangerous sort between marijuana use and gun ownership is as painfully stupid and disingenuous as it gets.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
They picks and chooses.

All guns are evil (and by default - their owners) - think of the children. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Mas Ayoob has written that the only carry permit in the entire state is held by the Honolulu PD's civilian armorer.

ETA: I might be mis-remembering the "only" part, but it is certainly one of a very few.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Shouldn't it be which one is more legal or illegal...

What about illegal aliens that smoke ganja that have guns, are they more or less dangerous...

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
IIRC, Mas Ayoob has written that the only carry permit in the entire state is held by the Honolulu PD's civilian armorer.

I read this and thought there was no way it was this bad. So, I hopped on my googler and found this:

No carry permits issued in 2016

And, since they are only good for 1 year that means no carry permit holders at least by the end of last year.

How can that not be construed as a ban?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
I think Colorado does something similar. Medical weed card or CCW card. Can't have both.

This is true.

It's equally wrong and stupid, but true just the same.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
.gov at all levels will disarm you with any and all means available.

Count on it.

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Clear case that demonstrates why gun registration is a bad thing.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While I don't agree with it being illegal, this is simply enforcement of the law - Clear as day on a 4473 that it's illegal under Federal Law.

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

And of course Hawaii, being a liberal anti-gun state, would like to collect them all (the guns, that is).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
A convenient (to the antis) circumstance allowing them to disarm some of the public.
I'm only surprised this didn't start sooner.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And the order to turn in guns is based solely on possession of a medicinal cannibis card.

A person can get one, yet never actually use marijuana, and therefore is NOT actually a prohibited person under federal law.

Don't people get prescriptions they elect not to fill?

Let that sink in a moment.

BATFE and now Honolulu have decided possession of what is essentially a prescription makes you a prohibited person.

Why then is not every person in a state where there is no requirement for a medicinal cannibis card, or more extremely, legalized possession, sale, and use of marijuana also not automatically a prohibited person? The same fact set is true; there is a piece of paper (the enacted legislation) authorizing possession, sale and use. Under the BATFE and Honolulu policies that equates to actual use, even if the card holder doesn't actually use marijuana.

I fear some gun grabbing politican or some bankrolling billionaire will attempt to make that very argument in court.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32051 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post