SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homemade Soup/Stew/Stoup Recipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Soup/Stew/Stoup Recipes Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I have a hankering for a pot of homemade soup or stew, and want to try something new.

What's your go-to recipe?

Bonus points if it's a slow cooker/crockpot recipe, but that's not a requirement by any means.

I'll start us off with one of my favorites: Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Posole

-0.25 to 0.5 cup butter
-2ish pounds of chicken, sliced into 0.5 inch or smaller cubes (Can substitute in an equivalent amount of canned precooked chicken, if you want it to be even quicker/easier)
-2 cups chopped onion
-0.5 tablespoons garlic, minced
-2.5 teaspoons ground cumin
-1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
-0.25 tablespoon salt
-0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-50 ounces canned white hominy, drained
-12 ounces canned diced green chiles (I like a combination of mild and medium)
-30 ounces black-eyed peas, drained (I like Trappeys jalapeno black eyed peas)
-32 ounce carton of chicken broth
-chopped cilantro
-sliced limes

1) Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautee chicken, onions, and garlic in the butter until chicken is no longer pink, or if using precooked chicken, cook until onions are slightly browned and starting to turn translucent.

2) While chicken/onions are cooking, combine green chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne in the slow cooker. Add drained hominy. Add half of the black-eyed peas whole. Mash the other half of the black-eyed peas and add to slow cooker. (Black eyed peas typically comes in 15ish ounce cans, so you can just put one can in whole after draining, and mash the other in the can after draining with a fork and some elbow grease.)

3) Once chicken/onions are cooked, add to slow cooker.

4) Add about half of the chicken broth (2ish cups). Stir everything together.

5) Cover slow cooker and cook on Low about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Add additional chicken broth to your desired thickness, if needed, about 30-60 minutes before eating.

6) Serve with cilantro and limes on the side, so each person can add their desired amount of cilantro and/or lime juice to their bowl.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am so making that...

Here's a good one.

Pot Roast (chuck) 2 to 3 pounds
Peeled potatoes, cut in chunks
Peeled carrots, cut in chunks
Regular or Sweet Onion, cut in large chunks
Large can chunked stewed tomatoes
1qt. beef stock or broth
A good bit of chopped garlic
1 to 3 bay leaves, depending on size
Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, basil, and oregano to taste.
Olive oil
Stick of butter
1/3 to 1/2 cup flour

Put olive oil in a cast iron pan and heat to medium. Sear the chuck on all sides until nicely crusted, about 3-5 minutes per side, remove from pan and place in slow cooker. Reserve oil and beef dripping in pan.

Add chunked onions, potatoes, carrots, and stewed tomatoes with liquid.

Melt butter in cast iron skilled with reserved oil and dripping, deglazing as butter melts by scraping with a spatula, saute chopped garlic. When garlic is partially cooked, add flour and cook into a roux. Mix in beef broth until a thick gravy is achieved. Season with Worcestershire sauce.

Pour completed gravy over meat and vegetables in slow cooker, stir in, leaving the slab of meat on the bottom of the cooker. Add bay leaves, salt, pepper, oregano and basil to taste, together with any remaining beef broth, if it all didn't go in the roux.

Cook 3 to 4 hours in slow cooker until potatoes and carrots are done. Beef should be able to be torn apart and mixed in large chunks into the gravy and vegetables.

Serve in a bowl with a chunk of meat, veggies, and a heavily crusted piece of bread, or corn bread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Not my recipe, but I have made it a number of times. It is simply the best roast beef i have ever had. NB, I do add a bit of nutmeg to my version.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
That sounds awesome. I don’t measure anything so it’s a little different every time. Here’s a couple good ones:

Easy: bacon potato soup
Chop up a pound of bacon and brown it in a big heavy pot. Remove the bacon, leave all the fat.

Optional: sauté a diced onion in the fat, then:

Dump in 3-5 lbs potatoes. It’s a little better if you peel them but you don’t have to.

Cover with chicken stock or bone broth or you can use milk. Boil until the taters are very soft.

Blend in the pot with wand mixer or blend carefully in blender in batches. Add more stock, water, or milk if it is too thick for your liking.

Add the bacon, Lots of fresh ground black pepper and adjust salt to your taste.

More involved but still easy:
Couple whole chickens including giblets, organic preferred.

Put in a large pot and cover with water. Throw in some salt.
Optional: throw some garlic cloves, an onion, a few sticks of celery, and a couple carrots in.

Bring to a simmer and cook for an hour until the chicken is done. Pull it out and let it cool on a sheet pan until it’s cool enough to pick. Pick the meat off and reserve in the fridge. Return the bones and skin and giblets to the pot add a healthy splash of bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar and simmer covered overnight (preferably) or an hour or two.

Strain and retain the broth, and return it to the pot.

Add a couple diced onions, a bunch of diced celery, a bunch of chopped Italian parsley, and a few diced carrots. Handful of garlic wouldn’t hurt.

Bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are starting to get soft. Add a pound of your favorite noodles and cook until they’re as done as you like. Throw in the reserved chicken meat and adjust salt and pepper.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3291 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Roast beef is soup or stew?

I must've been doing it wrong. Big Grin

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Roast beef is soup or stew?

I must've been doing it wrong. Big Grin

I know, but once you mix the mushroom gravy with the meat, which is so tender it falls apart, with the potatoes and carrots, it's basically a stew. After I postesd, I realized it wasn't quite what you were looking for, but it's soooo good, I decided leave it up anyway. Smile

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Here are some others I’ve done. I won’t be offended if you find you can’t abide my crappy video skills.

Vegetarian lentil/sweet potato stew (with bacon)
https://youtu.be/Lc6vHkYCEWw

Caldo de res en chile guajillo (Mexican beef stew with chiles)
https://youtu.be/yCYAS6re-TQ

Hearty beef stew
https://youtu.be/QWlzwIi-CrI

Ham, apple, and vegetable soup
https://youtu.be/63pNxOJJbO4

Smoked ham and red lentil soup (like split pea)
https://youtu.be/BYYy33S33yk

Portuguese style butternut squash soup
https://youtu.be/y5EStuAzSi0

“Not chili”
https://youtu.be/Wb-sX-B0Geo

Creamy clam chowder with leeks and sherry
https://youtu.be/KK1uMldHHAU

Avocado buttermilk tomatillo soup with shrimp
https://youtu.be/NmkNk7BJd98

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3291 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
This one is a quick and easy seasonal favorite here - great with grilled cheese on a cold day.
Note-it was introduced to us by my sons ex-girlfriend. She was a gluten-free/vegan moonbat, and the soup ingredients kinda reflect that, but its good nonetheless. Girlfriend is long gone, but the soup remains.

2 large red bell peppers (left whole)
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in juices
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp dried dill
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
3-4 tsp Stevia to taste
1 pinch red pepper flake for heat

Roast red peppers in a 500 degree F (260 C) oven (on a foil-lined baking sheet) or over an open flame on a grill or gas stovetop until tender and charred on all sides - about 10-15 minutes in the oven, or 5 minutes over an open flame. Then wrap in foil to steam for a few minutes.
In the meantime, add remaining soup ingredients to large pot and bring to a simmer. Then unwrap red peppers, let cool to the touch, and remove charred outer skin seeds and stems. Add to soup.
Transfer to blender or use immersion blender to purée soup.
Then transfer back to saucepan/pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Let simmer on low for at least 10 more minutes. The longer it simmers, the deeper the flavor develops.

Now that I don't feel compelled to follow the vegan/gluten rules, I like to finish it with garlic croutons and a little grated parmesan.

***Edited to correct a typo - tsp vs Tsbp***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: motor59,

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3160 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
First is best beef stew Ive ever tasted...crock pot

Campfire Beef Stew
Adapted for crock pot from Publix Aprons recipe

Ingredients
6 slices center cut bacon, cut in half
2 to 2.5 lb boneless beef chuck roast (HEB lean stew beef is top notch)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves only
1 lb fresh presliced carrots
3 cloves fresh garlic
2/3 9oz tomato paste
1 and 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 qt cups no-salt-added beef stock
1 Tbsp Worcestishire sauce
3 - 16 oz cans whole new potatoes (sliced or whole as preferred)

Cut meat into small cubes for stewing.

In dutch oven, cook bacon until clear. Remove and drain.

While bacon is cooking, set up crock pot and put in the following items:
Beef stock, tomato paste, garlic, ONLY 1 cup of red wine, thyme

Poke holes in bag of carrots and microwave high for 4 mins.

Turn crock pot to high and stir ingredients.

Cut onion into large chunks and sauté in bacon fat. Place into crock pot.

Mix salt, pepper with flour to coat meat chunks and sauté in olive oil. Don't overload the dutch oven, split into 3 different rounds as needed. Put meat into crock pot.
After last round of meat, heat pan and use remainder of wine to deglaze the pan and put contents into the crock pot. Add W sauce.

Cook on high until temp is 180 degrees F, stirring occasionally, then cook 1 hr more on medium.
Add thyme (1 tsp dried) and fresh ground black pepper to taste (1/2 tsp)
At last half hour, add potatoes.

Next, Carcamusa, a Spanish pork stew I first ate in Toledo, Spain on a trip w my kids this past Summer. Stove top cooking

Carcamusa

This is a traditional recipe from Toledo, the old and famous city in Spain, very important place that once was the main city for muslims, jews and Christians, living all together. It was too the Spain`s Capital during the reign of the Visigoths in Spain, which took place from mid-5th century until the beginning of the 8th century. It is a very easy recipe and very tasty.

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb grs. pork cut into cubes. – Find some nice thick boneless pork chops
1 cup peas.
2 med onion, chopped
1 small can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic, chopped.
4 oz of Spanish chorizo cut into small cubes.
1 red pepper cut in 1/2 “ strips then hlf again
4 oz Spanish Serrano ham cut into small cubes
1 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
¼ cup chicken stock
¼ cup dry cooking sherry
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup Ore-Ida diced hash browns, baked 425 for 20 min or until brown

METHOD:
In a frying pan or cataplana, put five tablespoons of olive oil. When pan is hot, fry the meat slightly and put aside in a pan. Add some salt, carefully because the ham and chorizo will bring lot of salt to the stew. Remove pork.

In the same oil (add more if needed), fry the onion and the pepper. Add the garlic and continue for a few mins.

Add to the frying pan chorizo and ham and turn four or five times. Fry for a couple of minutes and add the liquid ingredients on med-high heat. Mix well and leave for a minute to evaporate the alcohol.

In a dutch oven, combine tomato ingredients and spices and add back everything from frying pan. Bring to low boil then reduce heat to low and simmer. Add peas and continue for 1 hour or so, until the meat is tender (the time will depend on the type of meat). You have to control the water, it should be a sauce not too liquid.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
Not my recipe, but I have made it a number of times. It is simply the best roast beef i have ever had. NB, I do add a bit of nutmeg to my version.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0DRkQ8S1Kwk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

this guy has some great recipes,

warning tho, if you like the historical aspect of his cooking, his channel can be a rabbit hole, hours may be consumed

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup from Nom Nom Paleo
https://nomnompaleo.com/post/2...eam-of-broccoli-soup

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I just made this today. It was an experiment and turned out to be a keeper.

I don't use a lot of measurements but I'll put in the ones I did.

Liquored up Beef and Barley Soup

In a large soup pot brown about a pound and a half of beef in a little bit of oil. I used avocado oil and a cheap manager's special pot roast cut into bite sized cubes. Add a little kosher salt, black pepper, and a good dash of Grillmates brown sugar bourbon seasoning. Midway through add a generous daaaash of Jeremiah Weed whiskey. Once the meat is browned and the flavors have incorporated well transfer to a bowl and be sure to retain all juices.

Dice 4 small to medium sweet onions, 2 large carrots, and three large celery stalks. Toss into pot with a little more oil and a pat or two of butter and start cooking them down. Add a little more kosher salt and pepper and another dash of Grillmates to the mix.

While the veggies are softening, in a separate pot bring 8 cups of water to a near boil and add two rounded tablespoons of Better than Bouillon beef base and stir. Better than Bouillon is amazing stuff.

When veggies are about half done, add two pressed garlic cloves. I like to add a few tablespoons of the broth at this point. Just helps veggies and seems right.

When veggies are softened add beef with juices, broth, and 3/4 cup medium pearl barley. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 50min.

Whole process from ingredients to finished takes about an hour and twenty minutes tops. Sum seems much better than the parts.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pot roast in a crock pot.

Place 2-3 pound roast in bottom of crock pot,
Chunk several small potatoes,
Cut and onion,
Some carrots,
Pour one bottle of pace picante salsa over the top
(I usually add 1/2 cup to one cup of broth, but you don’t need it)
Turn on low and walk away - I usually start it around nine and we eat at six....if I have gotten to it late, like noon or up until three I turn the pot to high....and we still eat at six.

Super easy

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I like to buy a larger size can of cooked whole peeled tomatos, such as the Cento brand Roma Tomatos.

I drain and save the juice and roughly chop up the tomatos and add to my chili, stew or soup.

Then I add one can of Campbells Tomato Bisque Soup.

Sometimes I'll add a palmful of Quick Barley for a unique flavor.

Or, I just go make reservations someplace.
Good stuff!

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You're all going to laugh, but I'm not a cook. However, I do make a kind of beef stew using only canned food:

1 can roast beef and gravy (typically 13 oz)--don't use roast beef au jus--you need the gravy

2 or 3 small cans of vegetables: kernal corn, green beans, mixed vegetables, etc. (these typically run 8.25 to 8.5 oz)--drain the liquid before adding to the pot

Dump them all into a 2-qt sauce pan and heat them up together. I like to break up the meat lumps a little more while this goes on.

I also microwave a packet of Uncle Ben's original rice, and serve the stew over it.

There is actually enough for 2 portions, and I find it quite tasty. It requires very little preparation or time.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
You're all going to laugh, but I'm not a cook. However, I do make a kind of beef stew using only canned food:

1 can roast beef and gravy (typically 13 oz)--don't use roast beef au jus--you need the gravy

2 or 3 small cans of vegetables: kernal corn, green beans, mixed vegetables, etc. (these typically run 8.25 to 8.5 oz)--drain the liquid before adding to the pot

Dump them all into a 2-qt sauce pan and heat them up together. I like to break up the meat lumps a little more while this goes on.

I also microwave a packet of Uncle Ben's original rice, and serve the stew over it.

There is actually enough for 2 portions, and I find it quite tasty. It requires very little preparation or time.

flashguy

Might I suggest you make reservations instead? LOL.

Take care.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
There is an Italian place that prides itself on making soups with no butter and no cream. I think those ingredients would amplify taste, but I digress.

My base is a few fingerling potatoes and 2 onions chopped in quarters. My aim is to roast all the ingredients in a 425F over for 25-30 minutes. You can literally add anything to the roasting pan. I usually add cloves of garlic and carrots (a little goes a long way).

Play around with it and add different things, or not.

Once everything has roasted, I put into the Vita mixer in 2 batches with chicken broth and blend. Salt and pepper to taste and into a larger pot. Then the second batch.

It's quite amazing how good a few fingerling potatoes and onion are after roasting. Let your imagination run wild!

JP

Posts: 2074 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've posted this recipe from Cook's Illustrated here before, but I'll post again. This is my favorite soup to fix when I want something easy and fast. The recipe makes enough for two with a nice amount of left overs. Recipe can be halved if you don't want left-overs or are cooking for one.

Italian Pasta and Bean Soup

4 ounces pancetta, chopped (See note below)
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (the tomatoes make a difference--use a quality brand)
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cup water
Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups ditalini (See note below)
2 (16 ounce) can cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed

1. Heat pancetta and oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until fat renders and pancetta is browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, broth, water, and rosemary and bring to boil.

2. Add pasta and beans to pot and cook until pasta is al dente. Discard rosemary sprigs. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve.

Note: If you can’t find pancetta, thick-cut bacon can be used. Any small pasta shape—conchigliette, acini de pepe, or orzo—can be used in place of the ditalini

Posts: 2691 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My Navy Bean:

Five cans navy beans, drained and washed
four good sized (not baby) red potatoes, peeled
One yellow/white onion, diced
3-4 carrots, diced
4 celery ribs, sliced thin
Ham steak
3-4 Fresh thyme sprigs
Bay leaf
Chicken bone broth (about 3-4 quarts depending on desired thickness/volume

saute onions, celery and carrots until onions are translucent. Add ham steak diced into pieces
saute until ham pieces nicely browned. Add beans, potatoes (diced), bay, thyme and broth.
Simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Remove bay and thyme. Here I will take out three cups of mixture and then use immersion bender on the rest and then add mixture back for a thick soup without any thickener. If you like pieces, don't blend. If you hate pieces, blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. I also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to taste as well but YMMV.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2070 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post