SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: ID.me vs. LOGIN.GOV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: ID.me vs. LOGIN.GOV Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
This afternoon I logged in to www.eftps.gov to make my P2 1040-ES payment via EFT (electronic funds transfer).

For the last couple of years that www.eftps.gov log in has required an ID.me or a LOGIN.GOV account. For reasons that I don’t recall, I have the LOGIN.GOV account. I’m wondering about the relative merits of the two. Hence this poll. Which do you use? And do you have a reason to think that one or the other is better?

Please don’t vote, or post, unless you have PERSONAL experience with BOTH accounts. Posts such as “Me and the wife like login.gov” aren’t helpful.

Question:
Which online ID authentication method do you like best?

Choices:
ID.me
LOGIN.GOV

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i was forced to lose access or use id.me several years ago.

it now makes it easy to get into irs, soc sec, many gov sites & soon veterans administration, where i get med services + volunteer.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ID.me is a commercial enterprise and Login.gov is an internal .gov function. which one you use depends on your level of trust and their ability to not lose your credentials to hackers. I have been notified no less than three separate times by OPM that their systems were compromised. None of them have a great track record.

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

it now makes it easy to get into irs, soc sec, many gov sites & soon veterans administration, where i get med services + volunteer.

I think that you neglected to read the OP.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
ID.me is pretty invasive with having the face scanning authentication etc. for setup and more complicated 2FA

Login.gov is much simpler and easier 2FA

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

I think that you neglected to read the OP.

i'm not sure login.gov was available when i used id.me.

i thought my comment might help, only time on your polls for me!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
ID.me is pretty invasive with having the face scanning authentication etc. for setup and more complicated 2FA

Login.gov is much simpler and easier 2FA

Thanks – just the kind of info that I was hoping to get. I was also wondering if one or the other worked for more web sites.

Serious about crackers

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I was also wondering if one or the other worked for more web sites.
login.gov is for government websites.

ID.me is used by a bunch of commercial websites. Example: It is used to verify status to provide access to Apple.com's military / veteran discounts (I use it for that purpose).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post