SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1983 Bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beruit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1983 Bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beruit Login/Join 
posted
On this date (October 23d) in 1983 the Marine barracks in Beruit were bombed, by a suicide truck bomber, in Beruit Lebanon. This resulted in 241 service personnel, of which 220 were Marines, being killed. Truly a sad day in American, and Marine Corps history.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Concur, it was a sad day.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it. I was sophomore in high school.

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Another, remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, day.

Posts: 13595 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A classmate of mine's father was killed in the bombing (Marine).

It was sobering in that pre-9-11 world to see the area by their fireplace with his photo, flag, and medals.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
You are not forgotten:
220 Marines
18 Sailors
3 Soldiers

Semper Fi

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
A good friend and a great Marine was sent in to take over the command there about 2 weeks after the bombing.

It was a sad day and time.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Never forgotten Devil dogs...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the Navy in ‘83. We were off the coast on a cruise.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Best friend in High School older brother was a Marine wounded in the bombing, he was never the same afterwards.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There was also a second bombing nearby and the French lost another 55 or so.
Just shows that even with the world's strongest military, we need to pick our spots carefully.
Most likely Iran was behind this and certainly sympathised with the bombers.
Another "thanks Jimmy" moment. Even good intentions have unpleasant consequences.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
When I was in High School I read the book written by Eric Hammel called "The Root". I would recommend it to anybody wishing to understand what those Marines put up with during that conflict.
Per the book, the Marines were in a constant state of combat and saw a lot of action in which the media did not really give their due for. Also, they were put under some of the worst rules of engagement that could have been written.
Richard Marchinko, the famous Navy Seal, wrote in his book "Rogue Warrior" that when he toured the area before the bombing that the only rule that was left out for the Marines was "Bend over and Kiss your Butt goodbye".

Posts: 318 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Gone but not forgotten. Semper Fi

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I was there Feb-May 1983. I was with Echo 2/6. Were were stationed around the airport. The barracks was the HQ for many people.

I was home and discharged (Sept 83) when the barracks was bombed. Had I been there when it happened, I would have known several Marines that would have been killed or injured.

Semper Fi

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3450 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was two suicide attacks resulting in mass casualties, besides the USMC barracks attack, the French paratroopers barracks was also attacked near simultaneously, resulting in 58-killed.

Weinburger vigorously vetoed a joint-US/French mission to hammer IRGC positions in the nearby Baaka Valley, his reasoning was we couldn't be sure it was the Iranians. George Schultz was pissed and Reagan ended up siding with his SECDEF. Keep in mind, the US Embassy had been bombed (OKC/Khobar Towers-style, whole front opened up) only 5-months earlier with 60+ dead from that. Cap Weinburger provided a lot of bad advice.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I was out of town Wednesday but I try to make it every year. Weather was not the best last year and this year it was great. Sorry I wasn’t there for it. But from what I heard from the boys it was another excellent ceremony.

Here are some pics from when I was at there in 2015.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was and remains an outrage. ..
Semper Fi

Marines 72-76

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I handled the funeral for one of the Corpsman who was killed. His wife was in the process of divorcing him when he died. She got his burial money and skipped town without paying us. Sad times.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I handled the funeral for one of the Corpsman who was killed. His wife was in the process of divorcing him when he died. She got his burial money and skipped town without paying us.
She sounds like a real class act.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post