SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning A Grill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning A Grill Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I have a Webber Grill. No idea what the model number is, but the grill itself is very heavy. A couple of years ago I pressure washed the grill. After that, no matter what I put on the grill, it stuck to the grill. So, I’m thinking I need to coat the grill with something after it dries. What should I use? PAM?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Cast iron grill? Grill up some fatty bacon.

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Don't use cooking spray - it has stuff in it that will turn into sticky gunk.

If they're cast iron grates, you can season them just like you would a cast iron pan... apply vegetable oil, bring to 350-400 degrees, leave it there for a while.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You probably have cast iron grates like mine. You need to re-season them

https://www.firecraft.com/arti...caring-for-cast-iron

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You could try some crisco. You could wipe some on the grate before you use it each time. I sometimes wipe mine down w/ veg. oil and get some of the black off.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Reseason, or you can buy replacement grates. Webber has lots of options for replacement grates and they are usually 20-30 bucks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Yes, big heavy cast iron grill. I’d post a photo, but it’s too gross to post here. Usually a wire brush will clean it well enough to use, but it’s impossible to do that now.

I know one said not to use a spray oil, but that link says it’s ok.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Yes, big heavy cast iron grill. I’d post a photo, but it’s too gross to post here. Usually a wire brush will clean it well enough to use, but it’s impossible to do that now.

I know one said not to use a spray oil, but that link says it’s ok.

It also says to use paper toweling which is generally not good either. But to be honest, I usually do anyway.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Don't use cooking spray - it has stuff in it that will turn into sticky gunk.

That's all I use and it's never given me any issues.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Bacon grease is what i used for my egg smoker, 400 degrees, rub with grease, use a brush/mop and mop it on there real good, reapply grease every couple hours until its nice and black and slick. If you ever use it to sear a steak, 6-700+ degrees then you will have to reseason. Always clean while its hot, after your cook when the grill is nice and hot. Foil or brush it whatever you like to do then spray with cooking spray, I use an olive oil spray that a local grocery chain sells. The Weber brand spray works good too.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Yes, big heavy cast iron grill.

Coat it in Crisco and heat it on the grill to 400(ish) for an hour or so. Repeat that about a dozen times and you'll be good to go.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use Canola oil before and after. Seemed to work for a while anyway.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Reseason, or you can buy replacement grates. Webber has lots of options for replacement grates and they are usually 20-30 bucks.

Maybe the charcoal versions, but replacements for gas grills are more expensive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Maybe the charcoal versions, but replacements for gas grills are more expensive.

Not sure of the model but OEM can be had cheap. Here is a set for 40.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-P...r+grill+grate+spirit

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the grate replacement for my grill. It’s $100.00 and yes, it’s a gas grill and it is quite heavy. According to Amazon, the grill weighs 21.5 pounds. I know from removing it before that I do not want to drop it on my fingers trying to get it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-C...nements=p_89%3AWeber

---------------
Gary

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i would go stainless steel this may not be for your grill you need to find the model #

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-S...ords=stainless+steel

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Not sure of the model but OEM can be had cheap. Here is a set for 40.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-P...r+grill+grate+spirit

That is for the Sprint which is the smallest Weber gas grill, and the one linked is actually over $50 with shipping. Genesis Weber grates are more in the $80 range for cast iron, and $100 for SS.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post