SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Extension cord questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extension cord questions Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Extension cord questions:

1) what kind of extension cord covering do I need to prevent the cord from stiffening up in cold temperatures (not northern cold just mid atlantic cold).

2) Regarding power tools what guage wire should I get for use as extension cords assuming two length scenarios of 25 and 50 ft of length ? My tools draw what I guess would be typical range amperage rqts like 7-1/4 saws, auto polishers, jig saw, sander, 1/2 drill etc.

3) Regarding the above question if I get 12 guage instead of 14 gauge extension cord would my tool run with less stress that 14 guage wire would (25 and/or 50 ft).

You may adjust these questions in case I'm asking the wrong question, electricity is not in my wheelhouse. I just want to avoid hot cords or choked tools, whatever that means.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...sion-cord-62916.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
For cold weather, look for an order tension cord with a SJO type cable jacket. Very flexible.

For long runs (and 25 feet is long) always go up in gauge wire. If you are using power tools, 12 ga is much better than 14 ga. I made up some 10ga ext cords for long runs. the tools run much better off the larger cords.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
You can buy cords that are rated for cold weather. They stay flexible.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depends on how many amps your tool is drawing and the distance.

You can get some wire here and add connectors on the end.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back when I was even more anal about my livelihood I regularly wipe my "good" extension cords clean with a silicone-sprayed (dampened) cloth. One of my favorites, stored many winters in my truck box, is still in service. The cord has never kinked and rolls into smooth loops easily, the rubber cover pliable and uncracked. Two decades old.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
All of the above comments are true but for a back of the napkin guess if your using a 25' cord 14 gauge should be fine for general saw usage.

50 ft to 100 ft we use 12 gauge.

Over that we use 10 or 8 gauge..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a brand for outdoor low temperature use called Polar/Solar cord, this is a trade name. May be others for low temps.

smlsig has the standard footage - size right.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of extension cords rated for cold weather (even the arctic). Most have blue jackets.

When I first moved to Anchorage, I installed a heater both on my oil pan and one on my battery (helps it crank). At first, I used a short extension cord that I had owned for years, but after sitting in sub-zero weather all day at work it didn't want to roll back up. I bought an arctic rated one and it coiled and uncoiled easily even after 3 days of below zero weather at the airport.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post