SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best DIY alarm system.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best DIY alarm system. Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
I have Brinks/Alarm.com and their customer service stinks. They used to be better but now they just stink. Would love to hear your experiences!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6014 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably not fully DIY, but we have a Vivint system at our new house.
So far, happy with it.

It uses Schlage keypad deadbolts, and has 5 cameras (doorbell, 3 exterior & 1 interior).
We added window sensors when the tech came to get it moved over to our ownership after we moved in & he installed the window sensors, didn't look above DIY effort for those.

Cameras require a cable run to each (CAT5 IIRC), but otherwise just screw into the soffit.

All accessible & all 3 deadbolts remote lock/unlock via the inside panel or the phone app.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I've had SimplySafe for years and it's been fantastic. Easy to set up, expandable as needed, customer service is great (only needed to call them twice in all the years just for questions), etc.

I like it so much my daughter and step daughter both have systems I bought for them.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Frontpoint.
Installed myself and great customer service.

Myron

Posts: 138 | Location: NoVA | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
I've had SimpliSafe for years and it's been fantastic. Easy to set up, expandable as needed,

I've dealt with a couple of their systems. Mojojojo is right -- they're easy to set up and expand, and easy to use.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SimpliSafe here as well. No contracts with them either. Start and stop monitoring as needed or desired. Phone app is pretty good also.

Posts: 384 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ring alarm, monitored for around $110 a year I think. Has cellular backup as well. So far we really like it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a SimpliSafe customer since their 1st gen systems. Upgraded to current gen hardware after Ring came out, but liked SS better. Incredibly easy to install, and great customer service.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use Ring.

Flat rate fee integrates monitored alarm (including fire), plus their premium video cloud storage the Ring Cameras.

Software improvements over time have added functionality. Things like triggering how different cameras react based on the armed/disarmed status of your alarm (for instance, only allowing your backyard camera to record if you are "away"), or triggering all of your camera lights and video recording if your alarm is triggered.

The $10 a month also includes Ring's extended warranty for their devices. I've had cameras sitting out in the sun for years now, and when they inevitably cook themselves, I just hit up customer support and they send me a new camera.

For additional cost, Ring's alarm system can also act as a fail-over internet router so that the Ring camera footage will still continue to upload into the internet even if someone kills power and cuts internet to your home. Basic cellular service for alarm monitoring is already included.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter lives alone and travels a lot for work. She has SimpliSafe and pays for the monitoring. She has had one false alarm and once the cleaning person forgot the alarm code. SimpliSafe called immediately and cops were there in minutes. Pretty amazing.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Guineafowl

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second or Third to Simply Safe. Have been great. Sent out a new communication chip for free when 3G was ending. System has had no issues over three years. I love a temp sensor and water sensor for my basement and hot water heater (in case of problems). Cameras work great for monitoring. Alerts on phone for whatever sensors your want. At a very reasonable price $27.99 a month. ADT wanted $65 4 year ago a month with cameras.

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2001AudiA6:
At a very reasonable price $27.99 a month. ADT wanted $65 4 year ago a month with cameras.

And that's the reason for the switch over here. ADT simply got WAY expensive.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl. 90 lbs. of German Shepard/Labrador Retriever mix.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RING Alarm Pro. We already were happily using RING camaras and doorbells. DIY install was easy and just worked from the beginning. It's very customizable with an ever-growing amount of features. With battery and wireless backup, it's pretty secure.

We'd do it again in a minute.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I literally just finished setting my new place up with SimpliSafe today. I've been using them for 5 years and I just upgraded to their latest generation system. No complaints at all. They've expanded their devices. Setup was so easy that my 12 year old son was doing it with me.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Honeywel/Adcom commercial equipment and Alarm relay monitoring.

https://alarmrelay.com/

And a 4 legged bark alarm!

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I installed a Honeywell/Ademco Vista 20P with an EyezOn network interface.

I can see the status of our panel anywhere I can get an Internet connection, receive notifications of all events on phone, watch, and tablet, and via email, activate/deactivate the system from our mobile devices, bypass zones, etc.

I added the optional 24x7x52 monitoring for $8/mo., which was slightly less than our home insurance discount for having the monitoring.

All windows and doors are monitored, incl. the garage door. Three motions--one a wireless motion in the µBarn. Smoke/fire. Sump well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If this is for the store, you might want to check in with your insurance company to see if they have any criteria.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Question for the Simpli Safe People

do you have the Camera's? if so what do you think of the Set up and do they work well

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post