SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Air Force Modified This C-130 To Land In A Stadium And Rescue Hostages During The 1980 Iran Crisis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Air Force Modified This C-130 To Land In A Stadium And Rescue Hostages During The 1980 Iran Crisis Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, you're referring to Operation Eagle Claw, a complete failure. Two weeks later was Operation Credible Sport, not any more successful.

I remember wondering how a simple peanut farmer was going to pull any of this off. Obviously, not very well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
You should take in a Blue Angels airshow. Fat Albert (modified C130) puts on a great demonstration.

I was fortunate enough to see Fat Albert at the Reading Air Show in the late 1990's. The short field landing was incredible. The assisted take-off was spectacular. The sounds and sights associated with that takeoff were music to this gearhead.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Yes, you're referring to Operation Eagle Claw, a complete failure.

And from that tragic CF came:

quote:
The mission highlighted deficiencies within the U.S. military command structure and led to the creation of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
IIRC, there were two of those rescue C-130s built. One crashed at FT Bragg during testing. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I knew I had some old Fat Albert JATO photos somewhere. I just found them...forgive the quality, they were taken with an olympus 3 mexapixel point and shoot. These are from an airshow I went to in spring 2003 outside of Indianapolis. I know I've been to at least one other show or practice after that one where they used them, but I can't remember when that was.

Fat Albert is still fun to watch, but it's nothing like it was back when they used to use these things. The noise and the smoke was just awesome.

Posts: 8617 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post