SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Avira software let down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avira software let down Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I usually put different AV solutions on different machines do I can have a second opinion if things don't look right.
My wife is a minimalistic internet user and only access work related sites, browsing is done via her phone almost exclusively.

She runs Avira antivirus.

I noticed some files and folders where infected with the .nlah virus. Avira never said a peep. I am not happy, the machine holds her phone backups and a bunch of pics are gone. STRIKE ONE.

Their ever increasing popups are now offering a free software updater that also does drivers, or so they say.
Installed it and an error prevented it to connect to their (drivers) database. It scanned all my disk and told me to update a bunch of sofware. Not the info i requested.
STRIKE TWO.

Tried installing the updater on another machine. Same ineffective results.

So Avira is a waste of time for me, a dangerous one.

Thumbs down.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12126 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just try another, it is not uncommon that one AV will miss what another picks up.
Malwarebytes has made me LOTS of money cleaning client machines.
YMMV

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Sure, Steve. I trust Avast and MS in other machines.

The problem was solved almost inmediately upon detection.

Ran MB afterwards. All clear.

Thanks.

0-0

Posts: 12126 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Hey O-O, quick question, not related to that software

When I start up my computer, sometime between pressing the on button and things ready to go, I notice three CMD windows pop up and close in very close timing.

Is this normal? I looked at the startup menu, services, etc and checked the programs I did not recognize to no avail. Most of those I did not, I googled and they are apparently good to go.

Not sure what to think.

Regards

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I'd be slightly worried until I find out, but keeping in mind these seem to be harmless.

Fastest way I can think of is to type msconfig in the command box and then look at what is in your startup.

(Longest path is to dive in the registry. A few places to look but start with solution #1)

You should find a tab with all the programs that run at startup. I normally disable a few that I don't use often and can be launched msnually and some annoying updaters/bandwith leeches.

If and when you look at the services tab, check the bottom box that hides all MS services to make things quicker. It's just a filter, you are not changing anything.

0-0

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Just try another, it is not uncommon that one AV will miss what another picks up.
Malwarebytes has made me LOTS of money cleaning client machines.
So, which tools do you favor, smschulz?

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post