SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The gamble of buying a used watch on EBay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The gamble of buying a used watch on EBay Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’ve recently become quite a fan of Automatic watches. When I came across a bright orange Invicta dive watch with a Seiko movement I should have been more suspicious. I figured the missing bezel insert was the reason for the cheap price.

I won the auction and got the watch for less than $40. When the watch arrived it rattled and wouldn’t wind. I realized pretty quickly that the rotor was loose and hitting the glass on the caseback.

My first thought was CRAP! I bought someone else’s junk. Then I did a quick internet search and discovered it might not be hard to fix. I managed to get the case back off without any specialized tool and using a small screwdriver I was able to tighten the rotor.

No more rattle and the watch has been working perfectly for over 10 hours so far. Hopefully the rotor stays tight and I’ll have a great beater watch. It’s keeping great time.

I should have a new bezel insert later this week which will definitely improve the aesthetics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Nice watch! Popping dial, almost Rolex Salmon in that light. A vintage dark brown leather strap might work for me. No automatics currently, but I'd like a green dial, like the Alpinist.

Sometimes a gamble is only worth the sum of the parts.

A parts watch I sold on TZ to a youth in Hong Kong backfired on the kid. He put in a claim with PP, claiming "pitting, scratches, corrosion, etc (he had seven or eight lovely superlatives for "crappy watch") but "the band may be of some small use" to him. So he only wanted the somewhat vintage Omega band AND a discount. The band was easily worth the entire purchase price. I countered the entire product would have to be returned.

Pissing off a snotty middle-schooler on the other side of the world. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve never sold and item on eBay. My brother sold an amp that was gutted and ruined by the buyer then the loser disputed and returned the item to my bro broken and useless. PayPal did nothing. I only buy on eBay and even that’s risky.

It looks like this Invicta has been dropped or taken apart. The dial (near 6 o’clock) has a small piece missing but it isn’t that noticeable.

I’m hoping the watch continues to hold together. I’m digging this orange dial.

If it doesn’t then I’ll get to tear into its NH25A movement so I can learn what makes it tick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
eBay? You’re a brave man

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
eBay? You’re a brave man
Indeed, especially for anything remotely high end.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
eBay? You’re a brave man
Indeed, especially for anything remotely high end.
He said he got it for less than forty bucks. I would not call that "remotely high end."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Invictas, when new, are not remotely high end. Not much risk in buying cheapo watches on eBay. I have bought and flipped a lot of nice guitars and amps on eBay. Only problem I ever had was with FedEx dropping a well-packed 80 lbs. amp. But they overpaid me for it, I got it repaired and sold it again, just about doubling my money. So all good.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just bought one this morning. Hope the seller was honest in his description. Time will tell.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 bad buys on Ebay. But I wouldn't qualify them as being ripped off. Just old watches bought for very little money that worked for a few months then quit. One is worth fixing, the other not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out. Never spend more on Ebay than you are willing to lose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Yeah, I just bought one this morning. Hope the seller was honest in his description. Time will tell.

RMD

I see what you did there...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

RMD

I see what you did there...

Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I bought a very nice 1958 Rolex 6422, non-original leather strap, original box and paperwork, on eBay.

Canadian seller, with a lot of feedback, mostly good. The few negatives read more like buyer's regret. The eBay seller also had a web address.

Made the buying peace of mind and caveat emptor emotion a little less.

Research. Sometimes good bargains to be found. And sometimes not.

You made a great purchase, given your own googlefu research made to effect the repair.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
what are you guys considering 'automatic' watches?? I have two Citizen Eco-Drives that work based on movement from the wearer..automatic?? I only paid $600 for one and $450 for the other from Kay jewelers..my absolute favorite is a Seiko ive had for prob 20 years..i know its not an automatic

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Eco drive are solar powered watches, the sun charges a capacitor/battery which powers the watch. Kinetic watches have a battery but are charged by motion (they are kind of a hybrid). Automatic watches are mechanical watches that are powered by spinning a rotor which winds a spring that powers the watch. Automatic watches are 100% mechanical and do not require solar or battery power. You shaking or wearing the watch powers it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
If you do your homework, ebay is useful.
If not, it can be a problem.

On a lark, don't do it.
If you are serious about putting in the time you can get some great deals.

Know how to look at pictures, visual acuity is an acquired skill.
Ask for better pictures when need be and know the item being purchased very well.

Ebay favors the buyer as a seller it can be trying at times.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Anything shipping from India is a pretty solid bet. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Eco drive are solar powered watches, the sun charges a capacitor/battery which powers the watch. Kinetic watches have a battery but are charged by motion (they are kind of a hybrid). Automatic watches are mechanical watches that are powered by spinning a rotor which winds a spring that powers the watch. Automatic watches are 100% mechanical and do not require solar or battery power. You shaking or wearing the watch powers it.

thanks for the info!

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yepp. Smile. My pleasure.

I should clarify that Citizen does make some eco drive watches that are radio/satilite sync meaning via radio wave or satilite signal they synchronize with atomic time every day. I have two, they are very cool watches. I personally prefer the less accurate but more interesting to own automatic watch....they have a uniqueness to them that is hard to describe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time will tell.RMD
No pun intended.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post