SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rotational Noise Front Passenger Side
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotational Noise Front Passenger Side Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
I was away on a business trip and the wife was driving my car, a 2013 Lexus GS350. She was trying to move out of the way of an approaching fire truck and she hit the curb pretty good on the passenger side.

She explained what happened and when I got home I found the front passenger tire flat and the rim mangled pretty good. I aired the tire up and it held air overnight. The next day I took the car to my tire guy and on the way I noticed a rotational noise coming from the front passenger wheel area. I was confident the wheel bearing was boogered. The tire guy beat the rim back into round then balanced and rotated the tires.

On the way home, same rotational noise coming from the same place. I replaced the 2 front wheel bearings as well as the front rotors and pads (rotors were warped anyway). No change with the noise.

I took it to a mechanic to help diagnose the issue. He says I have a bent strut on the front passenger side, warped rear rotors, and the back rims aren’t perfectly round. Well I don’t know how a bent strut would cause a rotational noise and the noise is coming from the front of the car. In any event, I replaced the rear wheel bearings, rotors, and pads as well, but still no change in the noise.

Is it possible that a bent strut could in fact be causing this? If not, any ideas as to what I might look at next that could be the culprit?

Thanks!
JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Any rub marks on the inside of the wheel or tire?
Bent strut could mean a number of things, depending on where it is.
Does it make the noise when it's up so you can spin the wheel by hand?

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Bent knuckle? Damaged drive axle?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Front hub bearings may be what is making noise.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My first thought after the hub was the brake backing plate was bent.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
My first thought after the hub was the brake backing plate was bent.

My first thought after reading the OP

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Any rub marks on the inside of the wheel or tire?

No

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er: Does it make the noise when it's up so you can spin the wheel by hand?

Not sure.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Bent knuckle? Damaged drive axle?

This is where I'm starting to think the problem lies.

JP

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
any ideas as to what I might look at next that could be the culprit?
Your bearing races may have gotten Brindled or otherwise damaged in the curb strike. Replacing the bearings themselves will not cure this. Visual inspection may not reveal this situation.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Does it make it when you jack the front up on stands and turn the wheel by hand. If not then it's happening when weight it on it, look around for anything touching or rubbing.

Surprised the tire guy didn't find it... or maybe he did telling you the strut is damaged.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Oz_Shadow and P250UA5, my bet is on the brake backing plates. They’re made out of relatively thin sheet metal and warped rotors will in turn deform them.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver:
Like Oz_Shadow and P250UA5, my bet is on the brake backing plates. They’re made out of relatively thin sheet metal and warped rotors will in turn deform them.

I'll look into this...thanks!

JP

Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Your bearing races may have gotten Brindled or otherwise damaged in the curb strike. Replacing the bearings themselves will not cure this. Visual inspection may not reveal this situation.

I should have been more clear. I replaced the hub assembly on all 4 corners, not just the bearings.

JP

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Is your insurance company involved?

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is it a swishing noise whose pitch gets higher the faster you go? That was a slightly bent backing plate rubbing the rotor on my dad’s car last week.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Is your insurance company involved?

No, they are not.

JP