SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Gun Market is SLOWWWW
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gun Market is SLOWWWW Login/Join 
posted
Local gun stores here in Tx are reporting super slow sales. The private market is slow as well from everyone I speak with. Guns sitting on consignment shelves forever. It's weird, I thought buying would be brisk in this booming economy. How is it in your states? Thoughts behind this?

Posts: 756 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dealer says it's slower than previous years but then again it's hard to compare the Obama sales years to normal, those years were feasting years for them.

I have bought a couple this year, and I'm waivering on get a G48 or P365xl, my LGS wants too much for the G48, I can get it for significantly less at two other area LGS.
did buy an AK though

The range is always packed and I think it helps the larger gun store...

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's been slowwwwwwww forever. Nothing new.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The market is saturated and there is no urgency to buy.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that comparison to the Obama years is not really fair. I also think that a lot of us "overbought" during those years and are well stocked. I doubt we'll see panic buying to that degree anytime soon. As the Obama survivors age, that stock will be sold and passed on. There are 300+ million durable products in circulation, so the demand for new is going to be suppressed for quite a long time.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the guns...

The milsurp secondary market is doing okay, since the primary supply of C&R guns from dealers has almost completely dried up.

I paid for a decent chunk of our home renovations by selling some surplus guns from my collection over the last couple years.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You can't tell by looking at private sellers, who still think their ordinary used guns are worth 20% to 30% more than they actually will sell for.

I guess that is normal, though.

I was looking for an out-of-production Beretta a few months ago, and private sellers wanted about $100 more than dealers on a gun worth about $550-$650.

Agreed, though. The overall market seems soft. Good time to buy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Saturation- we is there

Fortress America

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Agreed, though. The overall market seems soft. Good time to buy.

Yeah, I should have said the general market is slow.

When you're talking some specific areas, like the rare/collectible guns, they still sell quite well.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing a real decline in firearms dealers and selection at the local gun show, but what I am not seeing are particularly good deals on anything that isn't a generic AR 15, or factory reloaded ammo.

Reloads and ARs are cheap right now, but optics, new and used quality pistols and rifles are holding pricing pretty high, and I'm holding on to my money until the used stuff comes down a bit. I'm not seeing much justification for a lot of the pricing I am seeing. It seems to me that the dealers are holding on to Obama-era pricing, in a time of Trump-era demand. As a consequence, the public isn't buying as much stuff.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Just wait for the election year, sales will pick up because the panic will set in on the chance a "D" gets in office.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’ll trade you.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The market is saturated and there is no urgency to buy.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Obama-era pricing, in a time of Trump-era demand.

This right here. They were all about the price increases when panic sales increased, but forgot about the swing the other way when panic sales subside. A simple economics class at a JC would do wonders to help these folks get things to turn over, but it seems most are just regular gun folks that believe they have the only gun that anyone wants. >>> Roll Eyes <<<Can't do this hard enough when I see local prices.

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I bought so damn much ammo when Barry was in office, I'll probably never shoot it all.
It bordered on irrational. P-mags, too.

Don't need any more guns, either.

No doubt I'm not alone.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
you are not alone.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've picked up a few over the last year or so, but also had been on hold for many years while our four kids were growing up. Even during the previous regime I abstained from buying, cause we were feeding these varmints.

They're grown now though. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the event that you finally have the chance to stock up on things for future demand,(Democraps in the White House, restrictive laws, civil war, zombies), this is actually a good time. Of course you have to have the funds available.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Things are the complete opposite in Washington state right now. Our new gun laws go into effect July 1st and they’re... bad. I’ve been in half dozen shops the last few weeks and it was invariably a 15-20 minute wait to get to speak to someone behind the counter. Two of those shops installed a “take a number” system. The store owner/manager that helped me a few days ago answered two phone calls from people asking about their 4473 delay, two more telling people “no, I don’t have that in stock,” and was desperately trying to put together some rush orders to replenish inventory while he was doing my paperwork. There were at least three other employees handling customers as well.

When we were wrapping up, he told me that a surprising number of customers over the last month had no idea about the new law, hadn’t even heard of it. He was astonished. His English is accented and he looks Mediterranean, so I assume he immigrated the right way what with owning a gun store, so when he said “my God, don’t you people vote? Don’t you read what laws they’re trying to pass here?” it had a little extra zing to it.

Feast or famine, I guess. We, as gun owners, tend to get complacent when the pressure feels like its lessened and then go nuts when the panics hit. Para and LDD have written at length about it on multiple occasions. "It's quiet now. Go get your stuff."

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ My problem is exactly that. Lack of gun money availability.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post