SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for LEOs: Do you ever put an arrested suspect in your cruiser's front seat?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for LEOs: Do you ever put an arrested suspect in your cruiser's front seat? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hundreds.

I only ever put one person in the front that I shouldn't have and it was in an effort to get to the jail and get turned back around because it was somebody else's prisoner. I never left them there unattended (they could sit on the curb and wait if there was still work to do at the scene).

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Our policy forbids it. If our k9 guy arrests someone, someone else does the transport

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Never did, and never would. It's dangerous.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I understand that that department's policy is to transport in that manner.

I also understand the officers believed the guy was high on PCP.

There are many people who can easily get their handcuffs in the front, especially people high on PCP.

Independent witnesses saw a fight.

Having fought people high on PCP (which does have a unique smell) more than several times in my career, I can quite confidently state that this chief has not. And his imagination is shit.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Nope, never......not in 21 years of being in LE.

Now, every one of our cars has a cage, so it’s really a non-issue with us. A town across the river uses a transport van whenever they arrest someone who needs to be transported.

Putting someone in the front seat is a disaster waiting to happen and a piss poor policy.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3450 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
It is important to note that deadly force is not justified if the officer creates the situation that requires the use of deadly force. This primarily applies to situations like officers stepping in front of moving vehicles to try to stop them, but an argument (and in my personal opinion a strong argument) could be made that putting a subject you believe to be under the influence of a substance known to often lead to violent behavior in the front seat of a patrol car within reach of an armed officer (whose weapon is most likely on his right hip and directly accessible to the prisoner) creates a situation that could result in a fight over that weapon. If I were an attorney looking for a payday, I'd argue that any policy that allows this would be negligent.

But I'm not an attorney, nor am I speaking for any agency I might be associated with. My personal opinion is there is no way I'd put a prisoner up front with me.

Your first part there is state/dependent. The 9th Circuit had a provocation rule for use of force but it was overturned by SCOTUS. My state (in the 8th circuit) has no such rule as you describe.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 815 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Oh I’m not saying I agree with it, but I can tell which way the wind is blowing. Ive seen things come out of the local DAs office in the last few years that defy belief. In today’s climate, I’d be very nervous having policies that put prisoners up front with officers. Yes, cages aren’t cheap. They are however cheaper than attorneys.

I think that in this situation the officer will eventually be vindicated. I think he got tossed to the wolves because the city is afraid they will be writing a very large check when a jury decides that it is negligent to allow a suspect believed to be under the influence of mind altering substances to be within arms reach of an officer more preoccupied with operating a motor vehicle than controlling the prisoner when most departments have had cages to secure prisoners for decades. It’s easier to just blame the officer who had to fight a prisoner over a weapon.

Hypothetically of course. I wasn’t there and have no direct knowledge. I do firmly believe that any agency that has policies that allow for such transports is flirting with disaster and putting its officers at risk both from a physical and liability standpoint.

Posts: 2654 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Simple answer - NO

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Prince George's County.

Add "police abuse" or "police brutality" and do a Google search.

You might also try "misconduct", "corruption" or "civil rights violations".

2014 at the peak

Several years ago, they held the record for police abuse of the citizenry.

They beat my ass a few times back in the day.

Now they are still doing ass-kickings, but demanding money and raping is their expanding field.

Adding some rapey rape

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Very unusual, but I have. There have been times when I had to separate someone from another during transport. Let’s say I had 3 to transport and one was female, I’d stick her up front.

I’ve always felt sorry for Texas DPS troopers who don’t have cages since everyone goes up front. To me, that’s a BIG safety issue. I still believe they don’t want cages so they get better resale.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1216 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Henrico County does not have cages and transports in front passenger seat.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
Nope, never have.

All of our squads, even the investigators cars, have barriers and window bars. Also, our policy does not allow front seat transport of arrested persons.

We are allowed discretion when transporting the public, but I keep all my patrol crap in the front passenger seat so I have an excuse to keep everyone in back.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 595 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post