SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ### GOA Action Alert: Contact Your Senators To Pass National Concealed Carry Reciprocity ###
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

### GOA Action Alert: Contact Your Senators To Pass National Concealed Carry Reciprocity ### Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted
Gun Owners of America (GOA) is organizing a campaign to get the Senate (Senator McConnell) to attach National Concealed Carry Reciprocity to the Prison Sentencing Reform Bill, which has bipartisan support and is considered a must pass bill. The Democrats certainly want this bill to pass, and will likely do so, even with National Reciprocity attached. The Senate is scheduled to adjourn on December 14, 2018. If National Reciprocity is not passed by then, it will have to be reintroduced in the next Congress from scratch. This may be our last chance to pass National Reciprocity, in the near future.

I’ve included a link to GOA’s email tool, so it shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes to contact your Senators. If you don’t want to use GOA’s email tool, I’ve included a link to the Senate's Contact Lookup Tool, and contact info for Senator McConnell below, as well as a boilerplate message (GOA’s message reworded) at the end of this message.

I know to some of you, this will either seem like a waste of time, or too much effort. However, I think this has a good chance of passing, by being attached to the Sentencing Reform Bill. In fact, I think this is the only way this was ever going to pass, is by being attached to a bill the Democrats want. I've (and GOA) tried to make this as quick and simple as possible to do this. So please take the small amount of time it will take to contact your Senators.

Please comment, once you've contacted your Senators, it might encourage others to follow suit.

Thanks and Regards,
Storm

GOA Alert:
https://www.gunowners.org/alert112818.htm

Link To GOA Email Form:
https://cqrcengage.com/gunowne...&engagementId=492978

Contact Links:

Senate Contact Lookup Tool:
https://www.senate.gov/general...derBy=state&Sort=ASC

McConnell:
Email: http://www.mcconnell.senate.go.../index.cfm?p=contact
Ph: (202) 224-2541
Mail: 317 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510

SUBJECT:

Pass National Concealed Carry Reciprocity, Restore Rights To Gun Owners

TEXT:

Senator <Name>,
Please pass concealed carry reciprocity now.

The as-introduced version of H.R. 38 is currently the best reciprocity bill in the Congress. So I would urge you strongly to make sure this language is passed now!

I know that the Senate wants to put a prison sentencing reform bill on the President's desk.

So here's an idea: Put concealed carry reciprocity into the sentencing reform legislation!

Also, if you're going to make it easier for hundreds of thousands of former voters to get their voting rights restored (or at least have the option of petitioning a court for the restoration of their rights), then gun owners should get their Second Amendment-protected rights restored, as well.

Please pass concealed carry reciprocity -- and allow non-violent gun owners to get their gun rights restored.

Signed,
<Your Name>

ETA: Summaries and Links to H.R. 38 and S. 446

H.R. 38:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ngress/house-bill/38

quote:
Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

TITLE I--CONCEALED CARRY RECIPROCITY ACT OF 2017

(Sec. 101) This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by any state or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

(Sec. 102) This bill does not prohibit a law enforcement officer with reasonable suspicion of a violation of any law from conducting a brief investigative stop in accordance with the U.S. Constitution.

(Sec. 103) It specifies that certain retired and off-duty law enforcement officers who are authorized to carry concealed firearms are not subject to the federal prohibitions on possessing or discharging a firearm in a school zone.

(Sec. 104) It permits a federal judge to carry a concealed firearm in any state if the judge is not prohibited from receiving a firearm under federal law.

S. 446:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ress/senate-bill/446

quote:
This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid state-issued concealed carry permit, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in his or her state of residence.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Storm,

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Great Idea!

I'll send this off to Diane Feinstein and kamala Harris right now Red Face

Sorry I couldn't resist being snarky. Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
Great Idea!

Mine is right behind yours. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great Idea!

You know, I get that. Even when Colorado was more of a Red State, I've always been stuck in a Blue area/county. So I've always felt like for most elections etc., my vote/voice/opinion didn't count. However, I decided I'm not going to be silenced, they will at least hear my opinion. I do contact my Democrat Congressman and Senator and voice my opinion.

If you don't say anything, then they've already won by silencing you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I get it Storm and agree about not being silenced.

I'm just a frustrated Californian.

I had a heated discussion with my Congress critter Eric Swalwell last summer at my local grocery store. He didn't like it when I told him he sounds like a male Maxine Watters Razz

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it Storm and agree about not being silenced.

I'm just a frustrated Californian.

I had a heated discussion with my Congress critter Eric Swalwell last summer at my local grocery store. He didn't like it when I told him he sounds like a male Maxine Watters Razz

LMAO! Nice Burn! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ll be in Shoreline later, maybe I’ll just swing by Patty Murrays house and chat in person...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Great Idea!

Mine is right behind yours. Frown

Even if you don't contact Feinstein or Harris, contact McConnell. It's about getting this amended to the Prison Reform Bill. Once that's done, this likely will sail through. The Dems want that bill to pass.

This is like the National Parks Bearing Arms Amendment that was attached to the "Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009", that allowed the carrying of firearms in the National Parks System, that was passed by the Dems and signed by Obama.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Among other things, this bill encourages the states to use "free federal money" to create more bureaucracy in the form of domestic violence stuff.

This is one more way to handcuff the state to the federal teat. And later, if the federal money goes away you know there will be all kinds of problems if the states try to cancel the programs.

I am also not convinced (but am open to being reassured) that this won't lead to much more restrictive states dictating terms to less restrictive states about the qualifications for the issuance of a permit.

Then, of course, there is the whole codifying law giving us "permission" to carry. I don't like it at the state level but can kind of justify it as a states right issue but I don't think the fed should even have to touch this.

I want less federal stuff, not more...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Keep the feds out of states rights and out of CCW if we don't who knows what restrictions will be placed on CCW for it to pass, ie they'll vote for it if it includes universal background checks for all sales, prohibit private sales in specific geographic areas (already happening in FL), require universal background check on private sales, restrict gifting of guns to family members, national waiting periods, national registration fees, national ammo cards NFOID, required social media reviews, yeah we want the commie senators and representatives from the restrictive states to have a say in CCW permits, NOT!

No thank you... My State is fine, and I can travel to most every state with a firearm if desired.

Work on your own state legislators, states rights not federal oversight...

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Keep the feds out of states rights and out of CCW if we don't who knows what restrictions will be placed on CCW for it to pass, ie they'll vote for it if it includes universal background checks for all sales, prohibit private sales in specific geographic areas (already happening in FL), require universal background check on private sales, restrict gifting of guns to family members, national waiting periods, national registration fees, national ammo cards NFOID, required social media reviews, yeah we want the commie senators and representatives from the restrictive states to have a say in CCW permits, NOT!

No thank you... My State is fine, and I can travel to most every state with a firearm if desired.

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a National Reciprocity related to a Second Amendment issue, thereby, clearly, already and only a federal issue?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:

We (gunowners) are our own worst enemies. Both bills (HR 38 and S 446) are already written (see links and text above in the OP). They would be attached amended as is, to the Prison Reform bill.

We have a chance to move the ball forward for once, instead of standing pat and hoping we don't get pushed back. National Reciprocity would be a huge victory for gun owners and a massive demoralizing defeat for progressives.

This is Goldilocks Bullshit. By rights (2A rights), we should be able to carry a firearm anyplace in this country, whether that be Texas, Colorado, New York, or California. If it takes a Federal law to enable that right to be exercised, even if it doesn't conform to some libertarian/originalist interpretation of the Constitution, so be it.

Don't let the Perfect be the enemy of the Good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Storm, thanks for all the info and thanks for sharing your OPINION of what would happen if it were passed.

I read the amended bills (again) before I posted and before you added them in to your original post. My thoughts were not posted from a position of ignorance. I've had real concerns since this started gaining momentum a couple of years ago. If signed in to law I think there is a 70/30 chance we would not like where it ends up.

Once something is written down, it then becomes subject to interpretation by the local city, county, state, and federal politicians, law enforcement, and courts. Surely you must admit that somewhere along the line I might run in to someone who interprets the law differently than I do.

Say I'm in California tooling along the PCH in a rented car and I drive through some backwater town 1 mph over the speed limit and get popped. Now, I've been very responsible and made sure I had the legally correct capacity magazines and that everything is carried in the proscribed manner to comply with local laws as written. The bills as written provide law enforcement the right to make sure that I'm in compliance with the law. So, for everyone's safety he hooks me up while he verifies I'm legal. After a bit, he comes back to me and compliments me on the correct magazine capacity etc... Then, he says "that's a nice blaster you have there, is it a gen 12 siglock? Why yes, I reply proudly.

The nice officer then asks: Are you aware that as of 12/31 siglock decided not to get the gen 12 certified for the approved pistol registry? The gen 11 is fine but the gen 12 is not. I'm going to have to confiscate your pistol and we're headed to the pokey.

Now life is really grand. Eventually I make bail but all my stuff is locked away pending final resolution of my case. I don't have the time or money to fight the state, especially if I have to appeal all the way to the supreme court. Fast forward a year and I've just lost mt appeal at the 9th circus. I get mad and make some ill advised comments.

Those domestic violence and mental health departments created as part of the new bill? One of them hears my comments and decides that for the interim my guns need to be removed from my possession until everything is resolved. Now I'm broke, my guns are gone, and even if they left me something I can't carry it because my permit has been revoked until resolution of the issue.

Unlikely you say? Probable I respond...

No desire to be the test case.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

We (gunowners) are our own worst enemies. Both bills (HR 38 and S 446) are already written (see links and text above in the OP). They would be attached amended as is, to the Prison Reform bill.

We have a chance to move the ball forward for once, instead of standing pat and hoping we don't get pushed back. National Reciprocity would be a huge victory for gun owners and a massive demoralizing defeat for progressives.

This is Goldilocks Bullshit. By rights (2A rights), we should be able to carry a firearm anyplace in this country, whether that be Texas, Colorado, New York, or California. If it takes a Federal law to enable that right to be exercised, even if it doesn't conform to some libertarian/originalist interpretation of the Constitution, so be it.

Storm, I know you're a big proponent of these bills, but I am not. I'm not because I believe they create more problems for gun owners than they solve. Even if these bills got through and were signed into law, states and even counties and municipalities in some states without preemption could regulate CC to death making it so convoluted and complex that we couldn't hope to comply with all the regulations. I travel to states intermittently that have reciprocity with Florida, and those states, even though somewhat pro gun and concealed carry, are difficult enough to comply with. Multiply that by who knows what and it becomes untenable to put it mildly.

I'm with you 100% about what the second amendment means, and that we 'should' be able to carry a firearm unfettered anywhere in the US. But until the states as a whole accept the 2A for what it says and means, no federal legislation is going to restore our 2A rights.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
No thanks, the feds are already more involved in my life than I care for.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of federal reciprocity however there's no federal interest at stake which usurps local or state authority on this. We've talked about it before and arguing your 2A rights as a general principle don't have the higher ground over local and state CCW laws.

Even if this passes into law, a challenge in court has a very high likelihood of enjoining the new law and ultimately will strike it down as unconstitutional.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Form sent via link. To Maria Cantwell & Patty Murray. We’ll see where this goes. Smile

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

Well, right now my carry situation in Utah is just about as "perfect" as I could wish it to be...

If this bill as any chance of affecting how I carry in my own state by action from the feds, I'm without hesitation against it. Can you promise me that it won't?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post