SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Memphis neighborhood named most violent in the nation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memphis neighborhood named most violent in the nation Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Another trophy for Memphis Big Grin

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A new report ranks the most dangerous places to live, and there are two Mid-South cities on the list.

The report from Neighborhood Scout looked at the violent crime reports obtained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation from local police agencies. Violent crimes include rape, armed robbery, aggravated assault and murder.

Memphis was ranked as the 10th most dangerous city, but when they broke the numbers down even further, one local community came in as the number one most violent neighborhood in the nation.

According to the study, the area from East E.H. Crump Boulevard to South 4th Street is the most violent neighborhood in the country. Individuals reportedly have a 1 out of 9 chance of becoming a victim in this area.

The study also noted that the area has more single mother households than 99.6 percent of neighborhoods in the U.S. and 77.9 percent of children in the area live in poverty.

Just a spot behind Memphis on the most dangerous cities list was West Memphis, Arkansas, where your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 59.

West Memphis is reportedly safer than only 2 percent of U.S. cities.

http://wreg.com/2017/04/12/stu...olent-in-the-nation/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Didn't someone here have their Location as "Mogadishu on the Mississippi"?

Seems appropriate.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep the mess away from the Germantown Rd. & Poplar neighborhood, please. Dining at the Commissary needs to remain safe and enjoyable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's crazy is how close that is to the tourist district downtown. People don't realize it when they visit here.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Memphis was ranked as the 10th most dangerous city, but when they broke the numbers down even further, one local community came in as the number one most violent neighborhood in the nation.

Sure... manipulate the data down to one violent neighborhood and get the result you want... Wink

11 West Memphis, AR
10 Memphis, TN
9 Birmingham, AL
8 Detroit, MI
7 Bessemer, AL
6 St. Louis, MO
5 Wilmington, DE
4 Camden, NJ
3 Alexandria, LA
2 Monroe, LA
1 East St. Louis, IL

https://www.neighborhoodscout....blog/top100dangerous

But we know Memphis and West Memphis are just trying to beat out St. Louis and East St. Louis at our own game... Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Seems appropriate.

slabsides45

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there are any common threads to the violence.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an Exxon on the corner of Crump and Third I was getting gas there after work one afternoon (very few gas stations downtown) and there were 4 or 5 gunshots in quick succession a couple of streets over. I was out of my truck pumping gas and most pumps were busy with other locals doing the same. I will never forget that nobody jumped or looked startled or even looked up when the shots rang out. Totally used to it and totally ignored it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I wonder if there are any common threads to the violence.

Well...yes.

quote:
According to the study, the area from East E.H. Crump Boulevard to South 4th Street is the most violent neighborhood in the country. Individuals reportedly have a 1 out of 9 chance of becoming a victim in this area.

The study also noted that the area has more single mother households than 99.6 percent of neighborhoods in the U.S. and 77.9 percent of children in the area live in poverty.

The breakdown of the family as the basic unit of society is the #1 predictor of poverty and violence.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I was working at the old Buick Engineering building back in the 80s. Due to a new rule about no smoking in the building, we snuck up on the flat roof for a smoke. I was amazed at the number of spent bullets laying up there, at least 10 per square foot; from .22s to large lead slugs that looked like .44 or .45, caliber, to jacketed rifle bullets. Sure must have been some wild times in the area over the years.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Seems appropriate.

slabsides45

I wouldn't trust anything that dude posts... he's shifty.

That area is notorious for being violent, but then you really don't wanna go anywhere near ANY areas downtown at night without a little friend.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
East E.H. Crump Boulevard to South 4th Street is the most violent neighborhood in the country. Individuals reportedly have a 1 out of 9 chance of becoming a victim in this area.

I think this is just a few miles from Graceland. When I went to Graceland a few years ago, it just felt unsafe.

Something about the makeshift guard tower in the Graceland parking lot, with makeshift guards.

Too bad since I think it was once a nice place.

But, the statistician in me says that *someplace* has to be the worst place in the nation. I guess that identified place shifts around from year to year, or decade to decade.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Individuals reportedly have a 1 out of 9 chance of becoming a victim in this area.

Great location for a Survivor Show.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Damn, Chris Rock nails it AGAIN.

Shouldn't need to say it, as it is Chris Rock, but...NSFW

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Another trophy for Memphis Big Grin

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A new report ranks the most dangerous places to live, and there are two Mid-South cities on the list.

The report from Neighborhood Scout looked at the violent crime reports obtained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation from local police agencies. Violent crimes include rape, armed robbery, aggravated assault and murder.

Just a spot behind Memphis on the most dangerous cities list was West Memphis, Arkansas, where your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 59.

West Memphis is reportedly safer than only 2 percent of U.S. cities.

http://wreg.com/2017/04/12/stu...olent-in-the-nation/

Great place for a beta "test" wall

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
There is an Exxon on the corner of Crump and Third I was getting gas there after work one afternoon (very few gas stations downtown) and there were 4 or 5 gunshots in quick succession a couple of streets over. I was out of my truck pumping gas and most pumps were busy with other locals doing the same. I will never forget that nobody jumped or looked startled or even looked up when the shots rang out. Totally used to it and totally ignored it.

For 25 years I worked at the main Post Office a couple of blocks north of the station you're talking about. There was an Amaco station just across the street from our south parking lot. One day when I was getting out of my truck they had something going on at the station, police cars everywhere, shotguns pointing at the station, the whole "holdup in progress" going on. The police had to keep waving people away that were still trying to pull in there for gas.

South on third onto E.H. Crump was my way home when they had something going on downtown.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I was BORN in Memphis... but I'll be darned if I go back there anymore - I value my miserable life too much for that. And sadly it seems like Jackson TN is busting their ass to be just like them. I'll NEVER understand that.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Hmm. I was working at the old Buick Engineering building back in the 80s. Due to a new rule about no smoking in the building, we snuck up on the flat roof for a smoke. I was amazed at the number of spent bullets laying up there, at least 10 per square foot; from .22s to large lead slugs that looked like .44 or .45, caliber, to jacketed rifle bullets. Sure must have been some wild times in the area over the years.

I'm trying to picture this....what were they shooting at to have all of those slugs on the roof? Just random in-the-air shooting?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
I gotta wonder what criteria this is based on. I mean, Chicago didn't even make the list? WTF??

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

I'm trying to picture this....what were they shooting at to have all of those slugs on the roof? Just random in-the-air shooting?

Those are probably just random in the air shots,the street level ones are a bit more concerning. Kind of like a few years back during Back To The Bricks at shift change.

Shift change is when the car people start to leave and the hood rats start to arrive in the in their place.

Just another day in BuickTown......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post