SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work shirt with "Military" on it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work shirt with "Military" on it Login/Join 
posted
My work does stuff for the military and they gave me a shirt that says "Military" with our logo on it.

Regretfully, I never served in the Military but am happy to contribute to products that increase lethality as well as their safety.

Am I a poser to where that shirt in public since I never served?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that it's saying you work for a military supporting division of your company. I don't see why someone should find that offensive.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Youre in the industry it sounds like, I wouldn't feel weird about it personally.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The line between wearing a shirt like that (or a “Blue Angels” hat purchased at an air show) and dressing in an actual uniform and misrepresenting yourself as a service member is quite distinct.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
You are part of the military industrial complex and the shirt simply reflects that.
No more, no less by the sounds of it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I think you're good. It isn't like you're pretending to screw a gas tank with a burrito (for those who have been around long enough to understand the reference).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
It isn't like you're pretending to screw a gas tank with a burrito
If you eat enough burritos, why would you need a gas tank?

I have worked in many a defense contracting position over the years. My recollection is that service-branded wear was regarded more a tribute to the service than a claim of honor by association.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it. If it just said "Military", that'd be one thing. I could see how some folks would assume it meant you served. But since it has your company's name/logo, and the "military" portion denotes that you work for that company's military division, I don't see a problem.

No different than a company rep wearing something like a "Colt Law Enforcement" shirt, or a "5.11 Military/Police Sales" polo. Doesn't make people assume they're a cop or soldier, nor does it make the wearer a poser.

quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
It isn't like you're pretending to screw a gas tank with a burrito

Ha! Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Just me, but I would not be comfortable wearing it if I had not severed.

What are you going to say if someone says 'Thank you for your service'?

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Just me, but I would not be comfortable wearing it if I had not severed.

ITYM "served." "Severed" is something else entirely Wink

I'm w/sig229-SAS: I would be disinclined to wear it, and I'm actually ex-military. The implication's there, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm w/sig229-SAS: I would be disinclined to wear it, and I'm actually ex-military. The implication's there, IMO.

Sounds like it is about marketing. That sort of stuff annoys me. Like Insurance companies advertising that they are serving America's heroes.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“...and they gave me shirt...”

They honored you and your company with a shirt. Wear it proudly. Screw what anyone else thinks.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I won’t characterize someone who would equate a corporate logo along with the word “military” as signifying that the wearer had been a member of the armed forces, but military vets usually want to make it clear which branch or war they were in rather than a vague reference. If, however, I were concerned about being wrongfully credited with being a military veteran, I’d just be ready to say, “Thanks for the thought, but this only indicates that my company supports the military.” And smile.

And FWIW, thanks to you and your company. Without the people and companies who supply our military with the fantastic warfighting capabilities they have these days, they would not be so successful with so few casualties. It has been a very long time since wars were fought only by the men on the battlefield.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Nope. You're good.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Wear it proudly. If someone says, "Thank you for your service". Proudly say, "I didn't serve, but I'm proud to support. This is a shirt our company gave its employees because we manufacture WIDGETS for the military".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on, no one would think you are trying to impersonate uniformed military personnel by wearing such a shirt. If you were wearing a shirt that listed a battalion or the logo of specific military unit that would be different.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the only opinions that matter are yours and the customers/military folks who gave it to you.

If short-sighted pettifoggers give you flack, you can honestly say, "That's a fascinating opinion that you have. I can tell you that opinion was not shared by the military personnel who gave me the shirt with the intention that I wear it." Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I think you're good. It isn't like you're pretending to screw a gas tank with a burrito (for those who have been around long enough to understand the reference).

HA! Big Grin A memory of the forum from years ago.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, wear it! It is your company logo and the branch of your company that makes stuff for the "military."

As far as "posing" goes, how would that even work? It doesn't even say a branch of the military, nor have a logo from any branch or unit.

If it really bothers you, how old are you? Want to move to Oregon, join the Army National Guard? Big Grin Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post