SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pentagon studying to add laboratory grown meat to military ration packs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentagon studying to add laboratory grown meat to military ration packs Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...rations-BioMADE.html

Military personnel could find laboratory grown meat in their ration packs as Pentagon bosses scratch around for ways to reduce their impact on climate change.

Bioengineering company BioMADE came up with the idea after receiving $500 million in Defense department funding to reduce its carbon footprint.

But their plan to roll out 'cell based meat' has left a nasty taste in the mouth of veterans who have accused Pentagon bosses of treating front line soldiers like 'lab rats'.

Military chiefs have found the fight against climate change at the top of their in-tray under the Biden Presidency which has deemed it a 'national security priority'.

'It is a national security issue, and we must treat it as such,' defense secretary Lloyd Austin said in 2021.

And officials have been zoning in on artificial meat as 'one of the most immediate, politically feasible, and high-impact ways to do this,' according to the department's deputy assistant secretary Matt Spence.

The sale for consumption of lab-grown meat was only legalized last year, and veterans warned that soldiers are tired of being used for experiments with untested technology.

'There's a large number of active reserve guard members who are still a little jaded from the COVID shot and are very unwilling to be part of the new experiment,' a former Navy Seal of 22 years, told the Caller.

More than 8,400 servicemen and women resigned rather than face a mandatory injection of Covid-19 vaccines, and the Army has slashed its enlistment target by 10,000 this year as the armed forces suffer their biggest recruitment crisis for decades.

The US now has its smallest military in 80 years and veterans warned that the situation is unlikely to be improved by the prospect of dining on what BioMADE calls 'nutrient-dense rations' produced 'via fermentation processes'.

'I think the government should focus on letting the military protect our nation from enemies, foreign and domestic, sometimes, but you know, that's what the military is there for,' former US Special Forces member Martin Bailey said.

'They're not there to be experimental lab-rats.

'You know, why doesn't the government feed experimental meat product that, you don't even know what it is, why don't they feed that to, let's say, homeless people?'

'Well, there's a reason they don't, because that would be completely unethical. So why is it ethical to stick it down the throat of our military service members?'

Marine Lt Col Stuart Scheller who was court-martialed for his complaints about the US withdrawal from Afghanistan said the plan was symptomatic of a military with the wrong priorities.

'It appears that until new Defense Department leadership builds a winning force, service members will continue surviving off scraps,' he added.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association waded in to the row as news of the plan broke last week, calling it 'outrageous.

'American troops deserve to be served that same wholesome, natural meat and not ultra-processed, lab-grown protein that is cooked up in a chemical-filled bioreactor,' said vice-president Ethan Lane.

'The Department of Defense is spending millions of taxpayer dollars to feed our heroes like lab rats.'

Former Missouri governor and ex-Navy SEAL Eric Greitens called the idea the 'height of woke nonsense'.

'The purpose of the military is to win our wars and to kill our enemies,' he added.

'It's such a stupid idea, that in any sane world it would be considered a joke.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meat Rejected by Everyone (MRE). Especially non-woke Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Coasties...and probably refugees, disaster victims, etc. in case they package that crap into the humanitarian aid rations.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Send that shit to Hamas as humanitarian aid.

Posts: 27183 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Shades of Oryx and Crake.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Not gonna go over well

Posts: 53851 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think a national security issue was Lloyd Austin going AWOL for how many days??? Roll Eyes

And they wonder why enlistment is down.

Climate change.... Mad

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
"National security priority" my ass. Just more theatrical pandering from the left.

Posts: 7420 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Shades of Oryx and Crake.

Chickie-nubs. It’s ironic just how many things are happening in the world today that make Margaret Atwood seem like Nostradamus.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a day when we ate “not Grade A, but edible” meat products in the chow hall. I bet the boys today would prefer that over lab grown meat.
Just sayin’.

Posts: 14 | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just another way the pentagon is trying to fuck over the soldiers

Posts: 53851 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine who served in the Navy about 69-70 tells of food stores for officers and seamen being very different. Buddy was a swabby often hauling food including meat on board. there was a big difference in quality according to him.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Let's just cut to it.

Put ground up dicks, cunt lips, bugs, ground up baby and various other offal and patty that shit, freeze dry it, add elebenty hundred herbs and spices, shove it in a hermetically sealed bag, ship it to the poor saps that thought they were putting it all on the line for God and country, only to realize in the end, they were dying for the Military Industrial Complex, GDCs, Wall Street and every other lie...

Then pick your hill and fight me...

I am tired of those who died on my watch, and all those that came after, the many daily that have taken their own lives since, more than those that died from enemy fire.

Who is the real enemy?

Ask DJT. Or, go to the many cemeteries where service members are interred, and ask those that have taken their own way out of the pain and misery after battling enemies, foreign and domestic....

And, if nothing else matters, you sit on your ass and do not vote this coming November 5th, all of your life up to this point is pissed away, and pissed upon, those that gave all...

Yeah, another night of sleep broken, and wide awake, thinking, remembering and hating being here alone.

I am not posting for me, I post for them.

Can you hear them? Can you?

I always do.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
A buddy of mine who served in the Navy about 69-70 tells of food stores for officers and seamen being very different. Buddy was a swabby often hauling food including meat on board. there was a big difference in quality according to him.

During my time (1963-1983) the officers paid for their food in the Wardroom Mess. So some potential to buy food different from that in the General Mess. But I never saw that happen.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 975 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could almost see this as the R&D stage of a contingency or emergency plan. Suppose, for example, whether by a natural outbreak or biological attack, cattle were to get infected with a disease such as foot-and-mouth. The artificial meat, if found to at least be safe to eat, could make up for such a shortage. But, of course, we all know this is not why they're doing it.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do they WANT a zombie apocalypse starting with zombie soldiers? Because in the movies this is how zombie apocalypses begin!

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I'm all for this! On one condition. Lab grown meat should be exclusively fed to the SecDef, the Joint chiefs, the Chairman of the joint chiefs, any flag officer supporting this and the heads of the companies supporting this shit. All meals containing meet need to have this synthetic crap. Absolutely no real meat at all. For a period of 5 years minimum. Then we can talk about giving to the rest of the military.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

That sounds like a great idea. One step farther. It also gets force fed to their families.

Now let’s see how far it goes.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I can hear the taste test of "Steve1989MREInfo" already: "Mmm...tastes like Chemistry class with a distinct hint of Biology and the texture of sawdust from Shop class."

Posts: 2606 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow the money. Who is profiting from this program? Is there any relation to those bidding out the program?

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If it’s good enough for the military, it’s good enough for you. Now eat your food!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post