SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does MSFT 10 keep changing my PDF default program
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does MSFT 10 keep changing my PDF default program Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Frigging MSFT, bought a new 10 pc, runs fine, installed adobe reader, I've set it to the default program to open PDF files, and for some reason it keeps getting changed back to MSFT Edge as the default.

Right Mouse click set program open up and set to Adobe, I'll be damned if 10 minutes or an hour later next pdf I open it used Edge.

Done it in the Settings/system section as well hell confirmed it was Adobe and then bam, back to Edge....

I've done both the suggested methods, and it switches back..

https://www.windowscentral.com...df-reader-windows-10

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Russian Apple Agents.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
your mistake was downgrading from any other useful OS to Windows 10

I refuse to update from XP Pro because of the tracking, spyware and logging as well as random monitoring and data dumps back to whomever

I'm not a brilliant IT guy, just a mid level user and frankly its just easier to dump Win 10 and go with something that works well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ You guys aren't helpful. Big Grin

HRK do you need Adobe for any specific reason? We've had this issue at a corporate level and finally tried Foxit PDF reader and it seems to not let Windows take PDF back, unless we roll out a major version update. 1803->1903 for instance.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I don't need adobe per se but I do have Acrobat that I need to reinstall and of course get get the privilidge of upgrading and paing sillycone valley more money since I do have to create and modify pdf files.

If you have an alternative I'm all ears.

The MSFT edge is quite limited, I have forms that have print to file, print imbedded button and a few other things that edge can't run

And familiarity with adobe.

I'll try foxit pdf just get get rid of the edge issue...

Found another issue, if I do get the software to default to adobe dc when I print to PDF using the built in MSFT pdf printer it won't print a pdf it prints some bizarre file

Probably have to upgrade acrobat to have the full monty and give MSFT the fickled finger of fate award

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
IS MSEdge your default browser? Try changing that.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Thanks, no I use Chrome....

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I refuse to update from XP Pro because of the tracking, spyware and logging as well as random monitoring and data dumps back to whomever

This is dangerous advice that opens you up to all kinds of other problems. Microsoft quit providing security patches for Windows XP five years ago. Any current installation of Windows XP is full of known security vulnerabilities just sitting around waiting to be exploited.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yeah you should at least move up to 8 for security reasons, 10 is actually pretty good, and some of the things I'm dealing with are learning curves and some of it typical software bugs.

Hell apple bricked my ipad with ios 13 update, finally got it up and reset the ios and haven't upgraded the ipad again...

I'll wait until the next ios update...

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
How are you setting the default app?

Try this:

Go to Settings.
Click Apps.
Choose Default apps.
Go to the right part and scroll all the way down.
Click on Set default by app.
Then choose the app that you want set as default.
Restart your PC.

Alternatively, I found this article.

https://www.winhelponline.com/...-working-windows-10/

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
your mistake was downgrading from any other useful OS to Windows 10

I'm not a brilliant IT guy , just a mid level user and frankly its just easier to dump Win 10 and go with something that works well

So you want to dump the whole thing because of a trivial issue like this? Eek

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Thanks, no I use Chrome....

Uninstall Edge.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't see the data mining, logging and sending information without my consent to be trivial issues

I'd rather give up the facade of 'security' and do what I can to maintain my privacy

I recall a quote from someone about that somewhere...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see the data mining, logging and sending information without my consent to be trivial issues

I'd rather give up the facade of 'security' and do what I can to maintain my privacy

I recall a quote from someone about that somewhere...

The "trivial" issue is just changing a default.
Data mining has nothing to do with this.