SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landscapers (amateur or pro). Need help with deer-proof flora
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscapers (amateur or pro). Need help with deer-proof flora Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm looking for shrubs (preferably flowering, but not a requirement) and trees that deer/elk won't destroy.

I live out in the woods and maintain a nice lawn that abuts forest. I do not want to have to put a 6-8ft fence up to keep them out as it would impede not only my view, but access to my surrounding land.

I've found several websites that have "deer-proof" flora, and the tags on some of them that describe them as "deer-proof", only to try them and find them nibbled down to nubs within a few days of planting. The deer around here vermin. They are freakin' everywhere and they decimate almost everything I've tried to grow unless fenced out.

I have discovered that they don't care for lavendar or bleeding hearts, but beyond that they've eaten everything else.

Are there any other shrubs/trees that folks have had good luck with? I'm tired of spending money on these things only to have them gone days after planting.

Posts: 20053 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Do you have space to plant a crop they like.
I have a friend in west Georgia that does just that.they like turnips and winter greens.
They hate curly mustard.
He plants about an acre and they leave his fig and apple trees alone.
He also eats selected deer from the turnip patch during season.
Its quite long here in Georgia and legally can take a dozen.

Posts: 22408 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Purple sage seems to be something they won't eat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I do have the space to plant other stuff, but I don't want to give them any reason to be here. If I bring them in for something they'll eat everything.

Killing them into extinction around here is an endeavor that won't happen. Residents here are limited to taking only one, unless they apply for and are awarded a "B" tag which allows them to take one more. The (lack of) wisdom in the Fish & Game rules here is astounding. As I said, deer around here are like vermin. They are everywhere. Pests to homeowners and gardeners, and causing thousands of dollars in vehicle damages (as well as deaths) due to collisions with them. It's unbelievable how many are around here and yet they don't allow harvesting more. I've written countless times to my representatives to adopt regulations similar to those found in your neck of the woods allowing the taking of more animals to reduce the hazards and nuisance, but have yet to receive a reply. So, I'm left with three options: Finding plants they don't eat, fencing them (and me) out, or breaking the law and killing every one I see.

Posts: 20053 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Purple sage seems to be something they won't eat.

Edible too. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I hate to break it to you, but deer will eat damn near anything when they get hungry. We put in dear-proof shrubs in the yard. The deer promptly ate them one long winter.

The idea of a green plot is not a bad one if you have the room and money. Otherwise, good luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20316 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with other comments...they will eat ANYTHING if they get hungry enough. I am getting ready to test an electric fence system. Will be less obtrusive visually than other fences. I cannot enclose entire perimeter but plan to install at primary path they take and to surround the areas with our shrubs. We will see.
Have a look online for the suppliers...much info there.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
deer-proof

Smile

There are seven outside right now, having breakfast in the yard.

I've considered a moat.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
deer-proof

Smile

Story of my life.

quote:
I've considered a moat.

Now there's an idea I hadn't considered. Hmmm.... Big Grin

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
deer-proof

Smile

I've considered a moat.

We had 4 of the damn things in our front yard this morning when I was grabbing the paper. Yeah, yeah, we still get a newspaper, we're old farts and that's what we do. Smile

I feel your pain Gus. We are at a point where we are thinking of giving up on growing a vegetable garden. For years it was 25% for the deer and the rest for us. The last couple of years its closer to 50%. Mad That and the wife loves doing flower gardens. Same thing!

I've tried all kinds of things, cougar urine being the most effective, but that only worked for a short period.

I'll be following this thread closely.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of re-doing my garden area due to them. It is a costly venture with cemented in pressure treated 8' 4X4 posts, 2X4s, and wire mesh all the way around, but it's the only way to keep them out. Two summers ago they got in and completely destroyed my entire garden overnight. Mad

I like gardening and fresh veggies too much to let them win that battle.

For those interested, I have found that the motion-sensing sprinklers are very effective for keeping them off the lawn. They are, however, fairly spendy and impractical for putting everywhere you'd like to plant things. They also don't work well in freezing temps.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
chinese holly will take awhile to grow.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
I take it that you aren't given an option such as we have in Kentucky.

quote:
Furthermore, pursuant KRS 150.170(7) , landowners have the right to kill any wildlife in the act of causing damage on their property.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
It's a tough call.

I planted a couple of lilac bushes that the nursery told me were deep proof - the deer ate them both to the main stem.

They treat my wife's perennial garden like a salad bar - she sprays that vile smelling stuff on it and it sort of keeps them away until it rains and she has to go back out and spray again. If the deer don't eat them, then the rabbits and a large groundhog we have living under the play structure next door we have named Fatso will eat.

One cold winter 3-4 years ago the deer ate our 5 27 yr old arborvitae bushes from ground up to 7 feet to the main stalk. We have replaced them with 4 foot versions and put netting around them for the fall winter and spring.

As it has been suggested, the deer will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough.

We live in SE Mich and are surrounded with deer - we see them every day. We are two blocks from a very busy downtown area.

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeSig:
arborvitae bushes

Those thing are like crack to the deer around here.

posted Hide Post
four years after building his home on 9 acres, Tom put in $1,400 worth of shrubs ,bushs and flowers.

after two years , not a single plant is still there.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54587 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can think of a few things... All starting with a 30.
308, 30-30, 30-06....

What about piss?
Cougar urine? Wolf? Big-ass male dog? Lion?

Would Bambi smell it and want to stay away?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8328 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
8 foot fences will keep them away. If deer are hungry enough, they will eat anything. I have tried hot pepper sprays, coyote urine, motion detecting water sprinklers, etc.... all to no avail. As all good conservatives know, you have to build a wall to keep them out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several folks I know use a electric fence around their gardens. One trick is to put a square of aluminum foil in several places along the electric fence, put peanut butter on the foil, deer will smell the peanut butter lick it and get a hell of a shock, seems to keep them away pretty well.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The deer have never eaten my rosemary bushes, but it may be too cold to grow those where you are.

Posts: 26887 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post