SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pentagon warns home DNA kits could expose personal info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentagon warns home DNA kits could expose personal info Login/Join 
posted
https://nypost.com/2019/12/26/...xpose-personal-info/

The Pentagon wants US military personnel to stay out of the booming market for home DNA tests.

The Department of Defense recently warned service members that test kits like those offered by Ancestry and 23AndMe could pose security risks to military operations.

Such direct-to-consumer tests “are largely unregulated and could expose personal and genetic information, and potentially create unintended security consequences and increased risk to the joint force and mission,” defense officials wrote in a Dec. 20 memo.

The do-it-yourself tests generally use a saliva sample to determine the user’s ethnic heritage and risks for certain health problems. Some tests have led people to find family members whom they didn’t know.

Testing companies have been marketing the kits to defense personnel with military discounts and other incentives, according to the memo. But “possible inaccuracies” in the tests make them risky for military personnel, who are required to disclose medical information that affects their readiness to serve, Pentagon officials wrote.

“Moreover, there is increased concern in the scientific community that outside parties are exploiting the use of genetic data for questionable purposes, including mass surveillance and the ability to track individuals without their authorization or awareness,” said the memo, which Yahoo News first reported.

The popularity of at-home DNA tests has exploded in recent years More than 26 million people had taken one by the end of this January, and companies offering them sold as many in 2018 as in all prior years combined, according to the MIT Technology Review.

Ancestry and 23AndMe are the largest players in an industry that was worth more than $750 million last year, according to an estimate from Infinium Global Research. The two companies had tested a total of 23 million people through January of this year, while their competitors had only tested 3.5 million, MIT has reported.

Ancestry is getting ready for another initial public offering amid the boom in the market, Bloomberg News has reported. The company first went public in 2009 but was taken private in 2012.

23AndMe did not respond to a request for comment on the Pentagon’s memo. But Ancestry spokeswoman Gina Spatafore said protecting users’ privacy and data is the company’s “highest priority.”

“Ancestry does not share customer DNA data with insurers, employers, or third-party marketers,” Spatafore said in an email. “Ancestry will also not share customer personal information with law enforcement unless compelled to by valid legal process, such as a court order or search warrant.”

Posts: 12695 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems like every time i turn on the news LE are clearing another 30 year old murder / rape case based off family DNA submissions

great way to solve old crimes that's for sure

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
That's the whole reason I will never do one.

But, not like I need to do one anyway, as my gullible brother and sister-in-law did one, and they were so thoughtful as to give a certificate for my parents to do one. Roll Eyes

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was just involved in an event that required I do the DNA, I didn't have much of a choice. I would have not done it otherwise, I saw no reason to have it in a system.

Interesting that I had 1250 matches, the important one being 50%, the next closest .27%!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
seems like every time i turn on the news LE are clearing another 30 year old murder / rape case based off family DNA submissions

great way to solve old crimes that's for sure

This has also resulted in the harassment, inconvenience, and the associated legal fees of completely innocent parties.

quote:
Interesting that I had 1250 matches, the important one being 50%,

Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My parents did it, my brother did it (parents paid), and my mom said they would pay for mine if I wanted.

I declined, for what I see as "all the obvious reasons".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s funny is that they gave the order for military members not to do it and I can promise that your average army private is totally going to do it now and probably weren’t even aware it was a thing or had no plans on doing it. But because they were told not to, they will.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would anybody voluntarily do this anyway? I mean I get bored too but I can find other ways to satisfy that.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did it several years ago to assist with my investigations of genealogy (and it has revealed a number of distant relatives, including some who don't live very far away).

I'm not too worried about the other consequences--my doctor obviously has run some DNA checks because he is medicating me based on some results that were reported. Health insurance? I have Medicare B and Tricare for Life (military retiree policy)--neither of those are likely to be altered by anything found in my DNA.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've sent saliva samples to I think 2 or 3 DNA companies, and so has my wife and daughter.

Maybe when I'm gone they can clone me. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I am not really a fan of many of my relatives, why would I want to find more?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In fairness, if anybody knows anything about compromising servicemembers’ personal info, it would be the Pentagon.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a good thing they got around to telling us about this. It looks like they are the only ones who thought personal info could be used in the wrong way.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
No way in hell would I do this. I am not going to pay a company to take my genetic profile who will, with mathematical certainty, eventually sell it to heaven knows who to do who knows what with it.

“Mr Asonie, thank you for your loyal business with Acme Health Insurance. Our sources indicate that you share 1/64th of a gene with a miscellaneous people group known to carry a slightly elevated risk of toenail cancer. Please see below for your new monthly rate.”

Nope.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
No way in hell would I do this. I am not going to pay a company to take my genetic profile who will, with mathematical certainty, eventually sell it to heaven knows who to do who knows what with it.

“Mr Asonie, thank you for your loyal business with Acme Health Insurance. Our sources indicate that you share 1/64th of a gene with a miscellaneous people group known to carry a slightly elevated risk of toenail cancer. Please see below for your new monthly rate.”
Nope.

That makes too much sense.. Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
What’s funny is that they gave the order for military members not to do it....

Is there something you know that we don't?

What I read in the article is that the Pentagon "warned" service members about the test kits. Nothing here says they "ordered" service members not to use home DNA kits.

Posts: 9049 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post