SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a 4G modem that will work with AT&T
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a 4G modem that will work with AT&T Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Just switched to AT&T and I can add an unlimited data plan for $15.
Looking for a 4G wired modem so I can put an Arlo camera system around my cabin. I don’t want one that converts it to a WiFi connection. I want to plug the modem straight to the Arlo base station.
Found this reviews seem good just looking for other suggestions.
I do not want something with a battery like those WiFi hot spots.
NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem – Instant Broadband Connection | Works with AT&T and Alternate Carriers (LB1120) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N..._api_i_nmh9CbSG1CD9N

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Netgear MR1100v2. It supports AT&T band 14. v1 doesn't. Not many 4G routers support this new AT&T band yet. Band 14 is deployed by AT&T for wide coverage in remote areas.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mofi works with atnt sims. Been using one for 3 years now.

Well we have two, one for upstairs and kids cpu/phone/video games and on down stairs for us.

MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 4G/LTE Router AT&T T-Mobile Verizon Embedded SIM with Band 12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E...p_apap_jpZETdqHPpguf

For coverage, you want 2, 4, 12. 12 will be slower than 2 and 4

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Looking for a 4G wired modem ...
NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem – Instant Broadband Connection | Works with AT&T and Alternate Carriers (LB1120) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N..._api_i_nmh9CbSG1CD9N

You found it. I've been using one on TMO for two years. Works like a champ. Utterly reliable.

Don't know about at&t's band 14, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I use the Netgear MR1100v2. It supports AT&T band 14. v1 doesn't. Not many 4G routers support this new AT&T band yet. Band 14 is deployed by AT&T for wide coverage in remote areas.

Can you please expand on the band 14 info for me? My cabin is in quite the remote area. On a side note the sales guy specifically mentioned that my phone would be operating on band 14 as it is restricted to the first responder system (Firstnet) which I have but the additional lines are not.
I just kind of shook my head to move on as I don’t know much about this stuff and did not really care.
But you mention band 14 will be helpful for remote areas, so now I care since this will be dedicated to a remote area.
Is it worth the extra $110 and can the battery be removed and the device still function plugged in? Also can the WiFi portion be shut off and just use the Ethernet port. I don’t want a WiFi signal transmitted.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Yes Band 14 is FirstNet, which has some government funding (and some from AT&T) mainly for remote coverage for emergency responders. However if there is no on-going emergency in a particular area covered by band 14, normal AT&T (postpaid and prepaid) customers can use it, provided that their devices can support band 14.

It is a relatively narrow section of the 700 MHz group (of which band 12/17 is also, but 12/17 has a bit wider bandwidth). On Reddit and Howards, good number of regular AT&T customers are using it with devices that support band 14 (Galaxy S9/10, Note 9, iPhone XS, Pixel 3a, various LG phones, Netgear MR1100v2 and one more router I think).

Note that band 14 is not only deployed in remote areas, it is for instance seen in Houston area and some parts of Austin burbs (of which my MR1100v2 had been on).

While your particular area may not see band 14 yet, AT&T is very aggressively expanding band 14's footprint per contractual obligation with FirstNet and state governments. So you should make it a point that all your new AT&T devices (phones, LTE tablets, routers) has this band.

In current times, the two bands that are seeing significant expansion rates, coverage area wise, are band 71 (600 MHz) on T-Mobile and band 14 (700 MHz) on AT&T. It is said that AT&T mostly withdrawing out of FCC's 600 MHz auction because it was winning the FirstNet contract. At this point, I think most if not all states had opted in the FirstNet coverage.

So the question people usually ask is - why does AT&T need band 14 when it already has band 12/17, all of which operate in the 700 MHz spectrum? Answer is that AT&T does not have band 12/17 license nationwide, thus band 12/17 coverage can be spotty, where as Verizon band 13, T-Mobile's newly bought band 71 are true nationwide. FirstNet/AT&T band 14 is nationwide.

Yes I think WiFi can be turned off (will check later and update). Yes it can run without battery but I think you'd want the battery in there at all time).

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the extra info. I got an IPhone XR so I presume it functions on band 14 since it was $299 with Firstnet activation so I am hoping they would not steer one towards a phone that does not function on that band.

I am concerned with leaving the battery in modem all the time as the cabin is generally unattended so it will be plugged in all the time so concerned about the battery being damaged or bursting.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Confirmed that my MR1100v2 has option to disable WiFi.

The MR has battery heat mode control, so it stops charging (and it tells you so on the display) at certain threshold. On my long toad trips, it is plugged in all the time. Still original battery after almost 2 years (battery is actually from the MR1100v1 before AT&T swapped it with the v2 sans battery, after I complained about the lack of band 14 with v1).

iPhone XR/XS do support band 14, Apple's first devices with band 14 support. So you're good there with the phone. As for myself, lack of band 14 support on Pixel 3 stopped me from buying it. Pixel 3a, and presumably Pixel 4, have it.

posted Hide Post
We use the LB1120 you posted and like it just fine. It serves our home internet (plugged into our WiFi router) and does just fine.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You've probably already thought of this, but if not check into what unlimited really means. IOW, if they start throttling or drop you to 3G after a gig or something you'll need to manage to that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You've probably already thought of this, but if not check into what unlimited really means. IOW, if they start throttling or drop you to 3G after a gig or something you'll need to manage to that.

They said it can be throttled after 22 gigs but rarely is only times of super congestion.
Not sure super congestion is even possible where the cabin is. Plus if I see 22gigs in a month I have serious problems.
Arlos are not continuously recording just upon motion. There really should be almost zero triggers. Only other time when I would be if I pull up the live view.
So someone or something will either have to be on the porch or approach the driveway. Motion detection won’t even come close to picking up the road.

saigonsmugler is there a way to determine if band 14 is even operational at the location? If not I am wasting $100 bucks on the upgraded modem which could go towards an extra camera.
If it is not operational (may not be for awhile) by the time band 14 is operational there might be more options in modems.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
On Android phones, you enter engineering mode and can select from available bands. Not sure how to do it on iPhones but I am pretty sure there's a way.

Yeah I think if your phone receives decent signal right now without band 14 deployed at your cabin then you should definitely save money and buy the cheaper unit.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. I’ll be down there tomorrow hopefully solid signal as that was not the case with Sprint.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post

Looks like I am in business. This is on the porch. Much better signal outside.
Looks like there are antenna ports on the back.
Is there a good antenna I could run from outside to the modem?

————————————————

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
This interests me. We live at the first house past the end of the internet. I'm currently using AT&T with a Red Lion 6000 modem. Can't find in their documentation if it supports 14 or not. I will call them tomorrow.

In the meantime, looking at the MR1100-2A1NAS, I read here and on Netgears site that it supports band 14. Finding one to buy is proving challenging. Amazon has the MR1100-100NAS which according to Netgears page does not support band 14 but in the general description it says it does. Searching for the 2A1NAS sku reveals a company called AliExpress and also an ebay listing. Neither of those inspires confidence.

I guess I will reach out to Netgear tomorrow and see if they can point me in the correct direction.

I could sure use some speed. I typically avg 4mbps with 6 on a really good day...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From AT&T $200 Nighthawk

From AT&T $145 Unite Express 2 (supports band 14 as well)

Band 14 doesn't give great speed though, as noted that it is a relatively narrow band. However you might get decent speed because very few might be on it.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
thanks.

Do you have to dedicate to a band or does it auto search?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does auto search, however you can also download firmware which would allow for locking onto a specific band.

@Black92LX Don't know if these antenna discussion would fit your unit but in this thread (very long) they did discuss external antennas for various units including the Netgear MR1100.

Some external antenna discussion