SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small lightweight binos...any recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small lightweight binos...any recommendations? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
These don't need to be anything special. Just something to see a ways down the road for a get-home bag. Cheap wouldn't hurt, but not the main factor. What do you all have?

BTW, I already have some Steiner 10x50 Police. That's not what this thread is about.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5524 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have had my eyes on this for a while. They also have a version with a mill ranging reticle.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've had a great little pair of Steiner 8x22's that have held up very well for 8 years or so. Very light, nice and clear, just not great for low-light.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of the Leupold BX-1 Yosemite line. They run right around $100, depending on the magnification, but I have seen them for sale in the $70 range at times. I have both the 8x30 and 10x30. Honestly I prefer the 8x30 by a small margin.

Nice glass for the money, good caps, decent case, small, compact. I usually take one with me on travel jobs for looking at the stars, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Steiners are GTG. Admiral can be nice and get more light than what the poster above mentioned

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x32 binos that should fit your needs. I think I paid under $200 for them. Excellent clarity for the money and light weight. You can't beat Vortex's warranty and CS.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
Would suggest the Leupold Yosemite in either 8x or 6x. Another consideration is the vanguard endeavor II 8x32. If money is no object, the Swarovski 8x25cl
is awesome.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss 8x25 terra.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have two pair of the Leupold BX-1 Yosemite line. They run right around $100, depending on the magnification, but I have seen them for sale in the $70 range at times. I have both the 8x30 and 10x30. Honestly I prefer the 8x30 by a small margin.

Nice glass for the money, good caps, decent case, small, compact. I usually take one with me on travel jobs for looking at the stars, etc.

This. Just got a pair and their are nice.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I like the looks of the Yosemite. I'll see if I can find them on sale.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5524 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midway has the Yosemite 8x30 for $69 right now

Posts: 801 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Pentax has some kickass glass in a compact package.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap and lightweight were the 2 things mentioned.

Vortex are out. Great glass, great price: but heavy.

Pentax are out, great glass, lightweight, but costly.

That leaves Bushnell. Don't laugh, they have been making great optics for years at a competitive price. I have a pair of the H2O Bushnell that are real sweet. I won't carry my expensive binos on the boat in salt water.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-...culars/dp/B00SKO44VY

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had these Pentax UCF-Mini 9x21 since 1996 as my small pocketable bins and they have never let me down.

My "regular" binocs are Swarovski 7x42 SLC Neu, Pentax DCF-WP 8x32, Minox BD IF 6.5x32, and vintage Leupold Gold Ring IF 9x35 porros.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Kowa 6 x 30 around $80-$90.

Small, lightweight, excellent clarity and one of the best field of view you could want.

They have replaced my Vortex Vanquish 8 x 26's as my favorite take along binoculars.

https://www.ebay.com/i/1225267...id%253D1231908239805

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd do the 6x30's mentioned above. Good exit pupil of 5mm for low light and under $100.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Nikon Aculon T01 10x for a great price. Very good glass for the price.

The Aculon W10 are waterproof and 8 ounces. If the optics are as good they are nice for the price.

Posts: 558 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post