SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley-Davidson LiveWire - The Review
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley-Davidson LiveWire - The Review Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the video!

As a rider, is that "whine" audible? I ask, as I've been around a few of the Zero motors (off the chassis) and they exhibit a whine as well. I haven't ridden Zero yet, but I'm told that the whine one hears as a bystander isn't noticed as a rider. Curious....

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
IMO ,I don't see the appeal whether in a motorcycle or a car. Guess I'm a happy fossil fuel consumer.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
IMO ,I don't see the appeal whether in a motorcycle or a car. Guess I'm a happy fossil fuel consumer.

I'm not a fan of electric vehicles either. However, in this situation where a Harley isn't going to be 98% of owners daily transportation, and may sit in the garage more than not. The electric makes a lot of sense, no bad/aged fuel issues to deal with. Also the instant torque of electric makes a lot of sense for a bike also.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you for the video!

As a rider, is that "whine" audible? Curious....

Vthoky,

That camera was mounted to the handlebar and 2-3” forward. So yes, the rider can hear the motor sound. Now I’ll admit I’m usually playing music with my Sena 30K. The other problem I have is I’m deaf in my right ear and use a hearing aid on the left, which is taken off with the helmet. I did check with my buddy who went with a ride when I picked up the bike. He confirmed that the bike does make the turbine sound.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

Thank you. Being sort of "in that industry," I'm very curious about that particular aspect of the drivetrain.

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you for the video!

As a rider, is that "whine" audible? Curious....

Vthoky,

That camera was mounted to the handlebar and 2-3” forward. So yes, the rider can hear the motor sound. Now I’ll admit I’m usually playing music with my Sena 30K. The other problem I have is I’m deaf in my right ear and use a hearing aid on the left, which is taken off with the helmet. I did check with my buddy who went with a ride when I picked up the bike. He confirmed that the bike does make the turbine sound.

I Like that sound.

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I do, too! When we light one up on the test station, you can hear it all across the area. We finally had to build an acoustic foam-lined box around that area.

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I saw a LiveWire last night in Greensboro. It’s smaller than I was expecting and pretty sporty looking. My mother in law walked by the display and didn’t even realize it was an electric bike! She said something like “oh wow this is a neat looking Harley, is it an older one?” She was legitimately shocked when I informed her it was a brand new electric bike. Big Grin

Overall, I don’t hate the bike but I liked Victory’s e bike concept more. The HD looks cool but I don’t like the iPhone looking dash. The Victory was actually an e-bike that made serious attempts to feel like a internal combustion engine moto. Due to its astronomical entry price and performance specs that landed it firmly in the camp with my used $2500 SV650S it didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

I get that HD is trying and this is definitely interesting tech but it’s not the bike I wanted them to build. I wanted to see them make a challenger to the Ducati Street Fighter or Panigale. I wanted to see an American made bike that could throw down with those glorious twins and V4s from Italy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I saw a LiveWire last night in Greensboro.

Don't test ride one, you'll want to add it to the fleet, instant throttle response is a speed junkies dream... Big Grin

If you can get 150 miles it's not outside of a weekend warriors riding range, much less a weeknight cruiser. We'll do 40 to 50 on Thursday nights (bike night) just going out for a light cruise. Livewire would do that easily.

Frankly my big self doesn't fit the bike, its not the concept and execution as far as technology and it's ability to perform, it's just not my style, like a speedo on a fat guy, it doesn't work....

Now if they come out with a eHeritage or eGlide.... larger lower cruiser, then maybe... So as with most HD riders I'm into the style, maybe a carbon fiber frame to cut weight, more batteries, a cruise mode for distance,

Then HD needs to setup beer and sammich locations with fast chargers and a speaker on the bike that makes that potato potato sound.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The HP, torque & weight are pretty darn close to my SV1000’s stock specs. The HD has a little more torque but the SV has quite a few options to modify and improve the bike. A GSX-R front end swap with a carbon fiber wheel will shave weight and greatly improve braking and handling. A 2-1 exhaust with CF can will improve HP & torque and also shave a ton of weight. It also makes the bike a sleeper because it would then look like a SV650 instead of the twin can SV1000.

E bikes are going to have to provide a bit more performance than a SV650 or SV1000 before I will even consider dropping that kind of money. It is a cool concept for sure and in no time I’m sure they will be mind blowing in the performance category. That said the sound of even a bottled up 90° twin is a glorious thing to experience again. I don’t know if the sound will ever be an area where e bike will be able to catch up. The turbine like whine is neat but the howl of flat plane crank inline four or 90° twin at high rpms are both IMO just incredible and a huge part of the rush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep Vtwins are the best sounding, JMO, and there are lots we can do to the bikes we have to make them run better,

One day our grand kids will be riding up on ebikes and asking us to tell them about the good old bikes with 'explosion engines"....

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...hannel=peeterpolomaa

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post