SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me not screw up my steak…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me not screw up my steak… Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I have a bone in, 4 pound, about 4 inch cowboy ribeye that I plan to reverse sear this evening.

I’m staying at a cabin with an electric oven that is unfamiliar to me and then going to sear it over the coals of my campfire.

Thinking about 225° in the oven, until I get to about 100° in the center. Any thoughts on that or projected time frames?

NSFW - Language

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Good reverse searing a thick slab of beef pretty much requires a thermometer. You want to get the middle to about 120-122 before you go sear.

I like to heat it up in an oven or grill (indirect heat) at about 250-275, and when the middle hits 122, I sear it on my face-of-the-sun hot searing burner.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Quote:
Good reverse searing a thick slab of beef pretty much requires a thermometer.
——————————

Agreed! I forgot to mention that I did bring my Thermo pen with me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've never smoked at 200 so I can't predict time.
quote:
4 inch cowboy ribeye
By that do you mean 4" thick? If so:
  • that is going to have cooking times similar to a roast as thickness has more impact than length.
  • I'd advise changing your plan to switch from slow to sear at 100. I usually switch to sear when it's about 10 from final temp (e.g. I like medium rare so I switch at 120ish).

I reverse sear steak nearly every week, but I do it at 235 to 250 and I've never done thicker than 2" (35 to 45 min). I've reverse seared sirloin roast, tri-tip, etc. at 235 to 250 too (1.5 to 2 hours).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Big Stack
    posted Hide Post
    I usually switch at 105. But I'm not doing 4" thick (probably more like 2").

quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I've never smoked at 200 so I can't predict time.
    quote:
    4 inch cowboy ribeye
    By that do you mean 4" thick? If so:
  • that is going to have cooking times similar to a roast as thickness has more impact than length.
  • I'd advise changing your plan to switch from slow to sear at 100. I usually switch to sear when it's about 10 from final temp (e.g. I like medium rare so I switch at 120ish).

I reverse sear steak nearly every week, but I do it at 235 to 250 and I've never done thicker than 2" (35 to 45 min). I've reverse seared sirloin roast, tri-tip, etc. at 235 to 250 too (1.5 to 2 hours).
  •  
    Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Subject line

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Go to 125 degrees and let rest for about 10 minutes.
    Get that grill piping hot and sear it to your desired internal temperature.
    Medium rare for me at 140 internal.
    Thermometer is your friend here with something that big.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Subject line

Sorry boss.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I think I would let it go a little further than 100 degrees especially with it that thick.
    Why not reverse sear it also over the campfire too for some more smoke?
    You might even cook it directly ON the coals ~ I never have tried it but that is the true Cowboy way and something I want to try.
    Otherwise it sounds like a great eat. Cool

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    I'm no chef but I do grill steaks a couple times a week (not reverse seared). I've never grilled one 4" thick though because let's face it...that's a roast. Razz

I'd say that pulling it at 100F and then searing would result in ribeye tartare except at the edges. I'd go much higher in something that thick. Probably closer to 130 for me and a good hot sear.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    For a ribeye I’d put it on the oven rack with a drip pan under it at the lowest temp you can manage - 225 or 250. Cook it to 110 internal flipping now and again. Either salt it a few hours before you start or right before you cook.

Rest the steak for at least 10 minutes after it hits 110 and it should carryover to at least 125. I think ribeyes are more tender around 125 than a bit less.

Get the grill as hot as humanly possible while the steak rests and then sear flipping often. Don’t forget the edges!

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joatmonv:
    Go to 125 degrees and let rest for about 10 minutes.
    Get that grill piping hot and sear it to your desired internal temperature.
    Medium rare for me at 140 internal.
    Thermometer is your friend here with something that big.

This sounds good to me, but I'd target 135ish rather than 140.

As someone else mentioned. If you have a fire going I'd do the initial cooking on there, then finish in a pan or grill on high.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    First things first, a steak that thick you'll need to pull-out of the fridge 2hrs prior to cooking. Get the meat up to room temp or, close to it, it'll make cooking much easier and you're not starting out from the deep cold.

I think you're spot-on with reverse searing, then finishing over a fire. I'd pull it out of the oven around 100, then fire it. Make sure you've got a good thermometer, hint-hint, Thermopen.

Read, watch, then execute
    The Food Lab: The Reverse Sear Is the Best Way to Cook a Steak, Period

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Love my Thermapens, but I use one of THESE as well when I am cooking what is essentially a roast.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    crazy heart
    Picture of mod29
    posted Hide Post
    Cut it in half. As already noted, a 4" thick steak is actually a roast.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fi - 1775
    Picture of Ronin1069
    posted Hide Post
    Forgive the lack of pics…

I pulled it from the fridge and let it sit for about an hour-and-a-half…heavily rubbed it with Montreal steak seasoning.

Put into 200 degree oven for 1 hour and checked the center with my ThermaPen. We were up to 80 degrees.

From there I turned the oven down to 175 degrees (I had no desire to rush this) and it took about another hour or so to reach 105 degrees center. (Which was what I was seeking)

I covered in tin-foil and let rest while I went outside and adjusted the campfire so that the grate I had was sitting about 4 inches above a VERY hot bed of coals.

Layed the steak across the grate and used a piece of cardboard to ‘gently’ fan the coals and get some flamage.

Flipped a few times - both sides had about 2 minute of direct searing campfire.

Smothered with homemade garlic butter…

Cut into it to find an absolutely PERFECT pink all the way through.

There is a reason I rarely order steaks ‘out’. They never taste as good as I make them at home, and I have yet to find a kitchen who believes me when I say “pink”.

As an aside, this is some of the best beef I’ve ever tasted. There is a Farmer’s Market in Minneapolis (I know I know) that is attended by a farmer whose cattle are just this side of amazing. Expensive as hell, but well worth it if you are going for perfection.

Thanks for all of the tips, you guys!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ronin1069:

I pulled it from the fridge and let it sit for about an hour-and-a-half…heavily rubbed it with Montreal steak seasoning.

Put into 200 degree oven for 1 hour and checked the center with my ThermaPen. We were up to 80 degrees.

From there I turned the oven down to 175 degrees (I had no desire to rush this) and it took about another hour or so to reach 105 degrees center. (Which was what I was seeking)

I covered in tin-foil and let rest while I went outside and adjusted the campfire so that the grate I had was sitting about 4 inches above a VERY hot bed of coals.

Layed the steak across the grate and used a piece of cardboard to ‘gently’ fan the coals and get some flamage.

Flipped a few times - both sides had about 2 minute of direct searing campfire.

Smothered with homemade garlic butter…

Cut into it to find an absolutely PERFECT pink all the way through.

There is a reason I rarely order steaks ‘out’. They never taste as good as I make them at home, and I have yet to find a kitchen who believes me when I say “pink”.

As an aside, this is some of the best beef I’ve ever tasted. There is a Farmer’s Market in Minneapolis (I know I know) that is attended by a farmer whose cattle are just this side of amazing. Expensive as hell, but well worth it if you are going for perfection.

Thanks for all of the tips, you guys!

Glad it turned out the way you wanted it.
    Reverse sear is the way to go with bigger cuts IMO.
    Sometimes you gotta treat yourself to good cuts of meat to truly appreciate it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    sounds fantastic,

I was worried that you would follow the 120+ degree advice and have it too done,

and this thread needed not only pics,, but a Quarter as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Frown

Sounds like a great cook! Cool

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    A 4" thick steak?

On purpose?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post