SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    London roads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London roads Login/Join 
posted
Watching the news on the attack in London, I noticed a number of roads that had what looked like painted lane markings that had been put down by a drunken painter! They were more or less lined up, but consisted of short sections that angled back and forth with no obvious sequence I could discern. Having never driven in the U.K., what the heck do those roadway markings mean? Just curious. Thanks.

Posts: 1221 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
These zig-zag lines indicate to United Kingdom motorists that they are approaching a pedestrian crossing. It is an offence to stop a vehicle within the lines except when stopping for pedestrians using the crossing.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The zig-zag lines also indicate "no stopping there to sit or park" under any circumstance.

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The "zebra" stripes indicate pedestrian crossing. We just call them crosswalks here. No stopping in the crosswalk, unless you are stopping for a pedestrian (don't want to force the pedestrian to leave the crosswalk to go around your vehicle).

The "Zig Zags" leading up to the "zebra" indicate that a pedestrian crossing is coming up. No parking or waiting in the Zig Zags, because it may obtruct vision to the pedestrian crossing. Also, no passing in the zig zag zone.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post