SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dimmer switch problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dimmer switch problem Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi guys,

We have recessed lighting in our kitchen. This morning when I turned them on one of the bulbs blew. I replaced it, and now the dimmer function on the wall switch does not work. The lights just stay on full brightness. Could the blown bulb have caused the dimmer switch to fail? Perhaps I just need to change out the dimmer switch? Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Chopper" switches replaced rheostat dimmer switches because they waste less energy and when the "chop" function fails, the light(s) is fully powered.

Rheostats shunt power away from the bulb to "dim them" and create heat in the process.

The "chopper" style dimmer cuts the top and bottom of the AC wave and more or less "time" power is to the bulb changes the brightness.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What kind of lightbulb. Newer led and CFL don't play well with dimmers not designed for them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
They are all PAR30 halogen bulbs.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "chopper" style dimmer cuts the top and bottom of the AC wave and more or less "time" power is to the bulb changes the brightness.

Called an SCR. The surge current when the bulb blew probably fried the SCR...shorted so now it sees the full power.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I hate those damn things. One just blew while changing a chandelier in the dining room.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You need to look at the rating of the dimmer switch. You may be over loading the switch.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
They are all PAR30 halogen bulbs.

You ought to change those to LED's pronto, better light and much less electricity and HEAT.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Dimmer switch failed, if you're using halogen then no other answer. Just replace it.

If you were using LED then it could have been compatibility issues. I hate those freaking things. I get so many calls for electrical problems from these. Go there show the person they are using non-dimable lamps or the wrong lamps for their dimmers. People are amazed that the bulbs fail since it says they'll last 22 years right there on the box.

Guess I shouldn't complain, they help pay my mortgage.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post