SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you think candidate ads actually matter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think candidate ads actually matter? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I could see ad campaigns for particular issues/especially ballot referendums, but I wonder if the “orange man bad/senile man bad” ads really have any effect, other than making money for the folks who raise funds and manage campaign ad... er, campaigns...

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, no, but I do know that in 2012 the ads Claire McCaskill ran against that idiot Todd Akin after his remarks about abortion took her to victory.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Part of me would say I’d be surprised if it alters anyone’s predetermined opinion. However I should know not to be surprised.

That is in regards to the presidential election. I think in local and state elections it has a HUGE impact. It’s proven when people don’t know anything about either candidate they will pick the name they recognize.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes.

There were a couple of ads that really did changes at the polls.

The Willie Horton ad in Bush vs Dickakis was a major turning point in the polls.

Lots of controversy at the time.

Here is a good analysis of the ad and the case the ad was based on.

https://anncoulter.com/2018/12...he-willie-horton-ad/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't think they are changing anyone's minds, at best they keep.people motivated to vote, got to remind the people how bad orange man is, so people come out to vote against him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, it matters to the uninformed / gullible.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ads absolutely matter to the TV stations. Big money!

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I read an article this past month that most swing voters don’t vote on issues they vote on whether or not they like the guy/gal. I think the ads are targeted at those imbeciles.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23282 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have the ability to make a difference,
They just choose not to offer the information that would actually make a difference.

From my perspective,
Spending money on radio and tv ads for what they are offering is like tossing the money in a shredder.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54656 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:

Hmmmm, sometimes. Political ads on Radio/TV pay the lowest rates even during the peak rate drive time periods. All the candidate has to say is "I approve this message", to get the lowest rate. One plus for radio/TV stations is Political ads are prepaid.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, not that they change minds as a general rule, although that is possible (see Willie Horton).

But they do motivate people to go out and vote. Which is very important.

In local races they may be more important by building familiarity with candidates who are otherwise unknown.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
TV political ads were effective once upon a time, before the internet, cable TV, social media, cell phones, etc. Back in the day, the only way for one to get a audio/visual experience was network TV, three channels of information.

People are so jaded and over saturated with information, and with DVRs in most households that watch cable, I don't think these ads do much at all.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Come on, there are a lot of you out there old enough to remember the infamous Goldwater ad that got Johnson reelected.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:

Hmmmm, sometimes. Political ads on Radio/TV pay the lowest rates even during the peak rate drive time periods. All the candidate has to say is "I approve this message", to get the lowest rate. One plus for radio/TV stations is Political ads are prepaid.

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day here at SIGforum. Thanks.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If the question was, 'do they matter to me,' the answer would be no, but in general yes ads matter.

If nothing else, relative frequency sends an implicit message. If someone sees 25 ads for Brand X and zero for Brand Y, independently of content that leaves an impression, and it's not favorable for Brand Y.

So some spending is defensive. It is a zero sum game though- can't spend the money in two places - so Brand Y may just be giving up on viewers of that particular show/network to saturate somewhere else that they think will yield better results.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Yes, in some cases. But likely not a lot. People do hear and repeat sound bites even if they are BS.

Just this week I had someone say to me that they would vote for Biden because Trump lies. About what I asked... "Everything" Roll Eyes

After 2016... A lady explaining to me why she voted the way she did.
"He was the only one I had heard of" You imbecile, just stay home.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A particularly good one - or at least one that 'goes viral' - can be effective at the margins. Other than that they can only build name recognition, either for or against.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131 said it best. And I do believe there are people who vote solely on what they see in the ads.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do not work on me, but evidently somebody does.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
They must work, otherwise NBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, NYT, WP et al, wouldn't waste all of their airtime/print space acting as non-stop commercials for the DNC.

Posts: 8626 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post