SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If Sarah Sanders Were to Smack the Press
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If Sarah Sanders Were to Smack the Press Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Brent Bozell
February 16, 2018

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders is constantly hammered by "Gotcha!" questions from reporters in the briefing room. This was dramatically underlined when the story broke about former White House staff secretary Rob Porter being accused of domestic violence by two ex-wives, one of whom even brandished a picture with a black eye.

By the time it was over, Sanders had one, too. It didn't look good, and nothing Sanders said from the lectern was going to be good enough. The same outlets that couldn't muster more than one question regarding former President Bill Clinton's alleged rape of Juanita Broaddrick seem to ask 27 questions a day about Porter.

So we wondered: How much would reporters like it if Sanders were to question them as aggressively as they question her? We know the Trump haters erupted when Sanders merely asked reporters to share what they were thankful for alongside their questions as Thanksgiving approached. Imagine an exchange like this:

NBC reporter Peter Alexander: "Sarah, how could you possibly not know about these charges, and how could Porter be praised as a good man? And why can't you offer us more transparency on the vetting process?"

Sanders: "OK, let me ask you: How could you at NBC possibly not know about the accusations of Matt Lauer aggressively propositioning women, even having a button under his desk that he could press to lock the door behind female employees? He worked at the top of NBC News for two decades, and nobody knew these women were suffering?"

Alexander: "Stop distracting. That's none of your business. We're a private company. We're not accountable to the public like you."

Sanders: "Why don't you try that defense at a Comcast shareholders meeting? 'We don't have to be vigilant about our female employees. We're a private company.' And while you're demanding transparency, how transparent was NBC in letting everyone know how it investigated Lauer's misdeeds? How transparent was NBC in investigating Brian Williams' lying on talk shows about all his amazing adventures in war zones? Next question."

Jim Acosta, CNN: "Hold on! Aren't you and the president putting democracy in danger when you try to undermine the respectability of the press corps?"

Sanders: "Jim, should we revisit the respectability of CNN? Your network accepted Saddam Hussein's claim that we bombed a baby-formula factory in Iraq. Your network's founder, Ted Turner, went to North Korea and then told Wolf Blitzer he didn't see any brutality, just thin people riding bicycles. Are you serving democracy with this kind of journalism?"

Acosta: "That's not fair. That happened long before I got here."

Sanders: "OK, Jim, how about the fact that your network let Hillary Clinton have some town-hall questions in advance of a presidential debate so she could ace the test? Or that three reporters had to resign from your network for spreading 'fake news' about Anthony Scaramucci having a secret meeting with the Russians? Your 'Facts First' apple is looking wormy and bruised."

This would probably drive the media further around the bend than they already are. But this is why Trump backers think it's smart for the president to avoid 27-question press beatings. Trump backers remember when CNN senior White House correspondent Jeff Zeleny, then a New York Times reporter, asked President Obama at the 100-day mark of his presidency, "What has ... Enchanted you the most from serving in this office?"

We didn't invent that quote. Reporters will angrily deny there's a dramatic double standard in what they call "holding public servants accountable." Not even they believe it.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Right on!

There is a stock (meaningless) response usually trotted out when reporters themselves are asked to uphold standards - usually its chants of 'chilling effect' with no mention of the consequences of not maintaining such standards.

Or, for that matter, of the problem with a bit more chilling. Some environmentalists seem to think chilling is in order these days. Wink

Posts: 15156 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Trump backers remember when CNN senior White House correspondent Jeff Zeleny, then a New York Times reporter, asked President Obama at the 100-day mark of his presidency, "What has ... Enchanted you the most from serving in this office?"

We didn't invent that quote. Reporters will angrily deny there's a dramatic double standard in what they call "holding public servants accountable." Not even they believe it.
Yeah, and if this litte prancer didn't have his asshole greased up just waiting for Barry to bugger him after the press conference, I'd be very surprised.

Disgusting behavior. My God.

This fraud's own newspaper buried the story. That really tells you something. They buried it almost as deep as this guy wants Obama's dick buried in his ass. Almost

Posts: 109154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You don’t want to abridge the freedom of the press, but nothing says you can't criticize the press as severely as their antics warrant when they exercise it. Some might react by “speaking freely.”

Just like keeping and bearing arms, or sny other of these rights, if you abuse it, there are ramifications.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at how sexist, mean and downright misogynistic the MSM/Left is to Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Apparently it's OK to make fun of appearance and weight if you are a woman who works for President Trump, but these same people are seething with rage if anyone on the conservative side were to do the same for a liberal woman.

The double standard is just sickening.

"A slightly chunky soccer mom"

A skit on Chelsea Handler's Netflix show, Chelsea, mocks Sarah Huckabee Sanders' appearance in a parody makeup tutorial.

Posts: 34641 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don’t want to abridge the freedom of the press, but nothing says you can't criticize the press as severely as their antics warrant when they exercise it. Some might react by “speaking freely.”

Just like keeping and bearing arms, or sny other of these rights, if you abuse it, there are ramifications.

Yeah,but where is the part about press being accountable for the accuracy of their stories?!?

Are they exempt from libel/slander laws? Why are they not held accountable by their employers?

Press credentials should not equate to a license to steal.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Yeah,but where is the part about press being accountable for the accuracy of their stories?!?

Are they exempt from libel/slander laws? Why are they not held accountable by their employers?

The press is nearly exempt from libel and slander, especially when covering public figures, public newsworthy issues. One must show actual malice, requiring “that the plaintiff in a defamation or libel case, if that person is a public figure, prove that the publisher of the statement in question knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity. Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty of proving the defendant's knowledge and intentions, such claims by public figures rarely prevail.” Wikipedia, New York Times Co. v. Sullivan.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
doesn't their history of bias and lying, collusion with each other, and the democrats meet the definition of malice?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53838 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Physically slap those wankerz?

I'd buy a $200 Pay-per-View ticket to see that.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32046 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sarah is like Trump however. She doesn't give a shit.

I like her style in answering the questions. She moves her lips and the words come out to answer the question but everything else about her is saying, "Are you kidding me with the shit? Now here's the answer so you can GTFO."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see her expel the next POS 'journalist' that tries to abuse her

have him/her/it forcibly removed by the Secret Service and have their credentials seized and left on her podium

that would be 'must see tv'

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53838 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love her, if I saw her on the street I'd probably give her a big 'ol hug...and I'm a total introvert.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I got to say, she's one of the best WH Press Secretaries in all the years I've been following politics. She drives the commie maggots nut.

Q

Posts: 27602 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

The press is nearly exempt from libel and slander, especially when covering public figures, public newsworthy issues. One must show actual malice, requiring “that the plaintiff in a defamation or libel case, if that person is a public figure, prove that the publisher of the statement in question knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity. Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty of proving the defendant's knowledge and intentions, such claims by public figures rarely prevail.” Wikipedia, New York Times Co. v. Sullivan.

Time to pass a new law than, one as important as immigration to keep the Commies from committing any further atrocities on the air or on paper.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
doesn't their history of bias and lying, collusion with each other, and the democrats meet the definition of malice?

Nope. See my post above, “One must show...”

The opinion explains how all this fits together, First Amendment etc.

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I like her Smile

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sarah Huckabee Sanders is plenty tough and she keeps her cool while dealing with a room packed with unruly kindergartners. I don't think we could do any better than her.

Also, the shameless way the leftists ridicule her appearance is the apex of hypocrisy. Here we have a woman in a prominent position, essentially a spokesman I SAID SPOKESMAN for the President of the United States and all these puerile hypocrites can do is make fun of her looks and her manner of dress. This is perfectly illustrative of why we refrain in this forum from ridiculing the appearance of others. I'll not be like these people and I'll not associate with anyone like these people.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any idea what Sarah Huckabee Sanders gets paid, but it is nowhere near what she is worth! She is the perfect person for the job!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I am amazed at how sexist, mean and downright misogynistic the MSM/Left is to Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Apparently it's OK to make fun of appearance and weight if you are a woman who works for President Trump, but these same people are seething with rage if anyone on the conservative side were to do the same for a liberal woman.

The double standard is just sickening.

"A slightly chunky soccer mom"

A skit on Chelsea Handler's Netflix show, Chelsea, mocks Sarah Huckabee Sanders' appearance in a parody makeup tutorial.

Without double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawgster:
I don't have any idea what Sarah Huckabee Sanders gets paid, but it is nowhere near what she is worth! She is the perfect person for the job!

I think it's 165k but maybe 175k now. Not enough for the shit she puts up with from the dumbass crowd.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post