SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoked Marie Calendar’s Pot Pie (cooked the right (only) way)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Marie Calendar’s Pot Pie (cooked the right (only) way) Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I love pot pies. Marie Calendar makes a decent one you can buy at Costco for super cheap. I don’t really care if they’re healthy, processed, gluten free, keto, type2 friendly, low cholesterol, paleo, whatever… they taste pretty good. But they always seemed to be lacking a little goodness.

So a while back I buttered (Kerrygold Irish burger) the hell out of those frozen little bastards, and threw them on the smoker at 225 for a couple hours. I figured they might turn out okay.
They were amazing. Magical. Like Lucky Charms the leprechaun rode in on a unicorn and gave them all the Irish love he could.

So my wife had cataract surgery today. I made her some Udon soup as that’s what she really wanted. I buttered and threw these little bastages on an hour and a half ago. They still have some time to go, but here is the progress so far.

I’ll update with some final pics when they are done.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I wish there was such a thing as smell-o-vision so you guys could smell the amazing goodness.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Oh DAMN!

I'm a simple man with simple tastes, and you put a couple pot pies in front of me and I'm perfectly happy.

Never would have thought of buttering and smoking them. Sounds and looks like a real delicacy.

I'm getting ready to break a 10 day fast and I can't begin to describe what you are doing to me right now. I can smell and taste those pies from here.

Screw using a fork and spoon...I'm ready to face plant into a couple of those pies and eat them, ala` pie-eating contest style. Wink

Seriously, nice job of coming up with a delicious twist on some classic comfort food.

Thanks for sharing your gourmet secret.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We indulge in those little pies now & then.
I add a little butter or a bit of Ya Mama for a bit of dramatic flavor, but YOURS look fabulous.

I've never thought to run them thru the Weber....

look delicious.

Going to do that soon. Just smoker pellets or a bit of low charcoal for a while, after thawing?

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Those look amazing. I’m definitely going to try this soon! Thank you for sharing.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I like those.

But I'd REALLY like to know the udon recipe. I've not been able make a decent one myself.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Looks tasty! A couple of those pies once in a while really hit the spot!
Now I'm hungry Smile

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long in the smoker Bean and what wood did you use?
I buy these quite often being single and love them. Smoking them never occurred to me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I love those pies and that’s some creative thinking right there those look delicious. I would have never thought of doing that and that’s coming from a guy who’s smoked Cheetos!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I quit eating those years ago, way too many peas, got tired of shoveling them out. But kudos to you for coming up with a different way to cook them!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Well... it takes longer than the 10 minutes in the microwave I usually subject them to, but they come out of there tasting pretty good. I can't imagine how much better yours must be!

Thanks for the tip!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
How long in the smoker Bean and what wood did you use?
I buy these quite often being single and love them. Smoking them never occurred to me.

I run them for two hours at 225°.

This time I used the Costco pellets in my recteq. They are oak, hickory, map,e and cherry. They’re okay. I don’t care for the oak that much.

I usually use Traeger blend of maple, hickory, cherry.

quote:
The “lol” thread

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

I quit eating those years ago, way too many peas, got tired of shoveling them out.
My wife likes to add peas to her pot pies. And gravy. More gravy makes the pot pie more better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Those look great. I love pot pies, too.
Every once in a while my wife makes a large one From scratch when we have leftover chicken.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Those pies look great but are totally lacking in Tabasco! Cool

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
LOVE the Creamy Parmesan Chicken ones. Yeah…those look GREAT! Good job doting on the Mrs…hope she gets well soon.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
To be sure, they were frozen when put in the smoker?

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
To be sure, they were frozen when put in the smoker?

Yes. Out of the freezer. Rubbed with warm-ish butter that stiffened up as it froze to the crust.

Two hours at 225°. Only reason the lid was ever opened was to take pics for you guys.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That sounds delicious

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post