SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery recommendations for 1995 Wrangler with heavy winch and radio use.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery recommendations for 1995 Wrangler with heavy winch and radio use. Login/Join 
posted
My Wrangler is in need of a new battery. The one that's been in it is a blue top Optima with light grey body; they advertise this as their starting and deep cycle battery. I got seven great years out of this battery, and three more years on the struggle bus, for a total of about a decade. It won't hold a charge at all anymore. This vehicle does not get driven regularly, but, when it does, it sees regular winch use, and serves as a powers source for an amplified VHF/UHF radio. I was admittedly not disciplined about keeping a tender on the vehicle, during this battery's tenure; I intend to be better about this moving forward. The vehicle does not have any other accessories; no stereo, no extra lights.

I was initially going to replace it with another of the same, as I have had a very good experience with this battery. However, I am seeking alternative suggestions, and I am leery of potential changes in quality of the Optimas. I don't know that they're any different, but it's not unusual for stuff like that to be "not made like they used to be", and the price has certainly gone up (though likely not disproportionately to anything else nowadays).

Does anyone have more recent positive experiences with Optima? Are there suggestions for other brands? Can I get away with a decent battery for my needs without spending $350? I do not want to make significant compromises, in the name of spending less, but I am definitely open to something that does 80% of the performance at 50% of the cost (as an example).

Let me know if I am forgetting to mention anything that would impact the decision making.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard Optima quality has gone down hill. I would look at Odyssey as I have used them in the past. Had one in my last Wrangler (2017) until I sold it. And my vehicle used to sit weeks at a time between uses.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re gonna spend Optima $$$, I’ve had very good use out of X2 Power from batteries plus. You can usually get a code for some % off.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Not sure I'd worry about what battery before I replaced some cabling (on a '95). Not just the main power and ground but the cable that supplies you fuse box(es). I make my own using a solder plug (you can get them at NAPA, and then a vise to cinch the connector well while it's still hot. Welding cable works really well for this. Use red heat shrink to mark the ends.

You might be amazed at the amount of corrosion inside the cable jackets or just plain hiding in other spots.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much of the battery-related cabling was replaced when all the winch and rear power plug stuff was installed, about ten years ago. I am unsure about fuse box supply. I'll look into that; thanks.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as the engine is running when you’re operating the winch or radio system (it should be), the battery doesn’t have to be anything special.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Odessey. The one I had lasted about 10 years.

With wet batteries your lucky to get 5 or more years out of them.

Consider this...
$250 for a decent wet battery over 5 years is $50/yr.
$480 for the Odessey AGM over 8 years is $60/yr.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17003_2003_07.htm

If your running a battery to dead, a deep cycle type might be a consideration.
They can handle that abuse better than a normal battery.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I put an Optima battery in my car it did not even last 2 full years. I've never had a car battery last such a short time. No Optima battery for me ever again.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe I will steer clear of an Optima. I'll look into Odyssey. They've got a lot of options; maybe I'll contact their CS, and see if they can give me a recommendation for my application. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I do try to keep the vehicle running, when using the winch or other accessory, but I have used the winch with the vehicle off a few times in the past. I can't remember why the circumstance favored that approach, but I'd like to retain that option, if I can.

posted Hide Post
The absolute best AGM battery is Lifeline. Odyssey would be next.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
As long as the engine is running when you’re operating the winch or radio system (it should be), the battery doesn’t have to be anything special.

This is especially true if you have a high output alternator. No harm having a strong battery too.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If it is within your budget, Dakota Lithium batteries.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No personal experience but I've heard good things about Hawker batteries.

https://hawkerbattery.com/

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'm still using an Optima red top that I got in 2011. No problems so far...

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If it is within your budget, Dakota Lithium batteries.

From what I’ve read, LiFePO4 batteries don’t do well with the heat in a car’s engine bay. They also have a different charging profile than lead acid and can cause problems with a car’s alternator.

Using one as a secondary battery not in the engine bay and charging it with a DC-DC charger could be a solution. It would be an expensive one though with no real benefit for a seldomly used vehicle.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
For that vehicle I would just go to COSTCO get the highest CCA-rated battery that will fit.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering an Odyssey ODX-AGM24. $410 darn dollars.

I am going to have the local mechanic do a sort of overall inspection of the vehicle as well, with a focus on things that might be problematic in a thirty-year-old vehicle.

Aside from the battery installation, the suspension bushings is the other big-ticket item. Based on my research, it seems I'll be on the hook for another few hundred; I hope he can find a bit cheaper route.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I ended up with the Odyssey due to recommendations here. We'll see how it works out. I expect to get years of good service out of it.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you could also benefit from a dual battery system and a beefier alternator.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
beefier alternator
That is something I have considered as well.

posted Hide Post
My plow truck with a Myers plow used to eat batteries every year or 2 until I put in a high output alternator, going on 4 years on the same battery now.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post