SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
When I quit smoking I started an Excel spreadsheet to track my progress. Years later I'm still updating the spreadsheet every couple of months. I'm also keeping up with current pricing to keep the sheet fairly accurate. I was a heavy smoker. This month I passed the mark for not smoking 100,000 cigarettes. Savings is $31,332. Now if I could just give up the hookers and blow.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
non smokers around you , thank you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good job! Congrats!

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Great job. I just passed the eight year mark without the cancer sticks

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I probably averaged a pack a day for 30 years, from 1954 to 1984.

Quit cold turkey in 1984. I wonder how much I would have spent if I had continued the pack a day habit.

Your $31,322.00 saving is nothing, compared to the health benefits that you have realized.

And, you have that much more left over for hookers and blow!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nice. I wish I’d kept track now too.

I’m a few months shy of 8 years right now.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Outstanding

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Here is one of several apps that monitor one's quitting cigs -- SilkQuit Meter

I'm at just over five years, 73,000+ cigs not smoked. As I vape, not expecting any superlatives but my body can tell a huge difference and instead of untold tens of dollars a week, pennies now. I can't factor in the price hike for cigs over the last five years, I conservatively estimate $15,000+ saved.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Here is one of several apps that monitor one's quitting cigs -- SilkQuit Meter

I'm at just over five years, 73,000+ cigs not smoked. As I vape, not expecting any superlatives but my body can tell a huge difference and instead of untold tens of dollars a week, pennies now. I can't factor in the price hike for cigs over the last five years, I conservatively estimate $15,000+ saved.

My wife gave up cigs for vaping. Our checkbook seems a lot thicker since she gave up the cigs.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Now if I could just give up the hookers and blow.

What? Seems to me like one otta have a reason to have that extra cash and improved cardio health Wink

But seriously, congrats!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Let's see - I smoked about a half a pack a day until about 1988. 10x365x21=217,665. Wow.

Too bad I blew all the money on hookers and blow.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Sheesh I just did the math it's over 540,000 for me. I spent the money saved and then some on guns and ammo

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
First, CONGRATULATIONS!

I quit in June of 1976. So, round that up to June, 2019...that's 43 years or 15,695 days in round figures. Ignoring the likelihood of "ramp up" we'll use the pack-a-day habit I had when I quit, so that's 313,900 butts not smoked.

No way to estimate the cost accurately, but as mentioned, the health benefits have been priceless.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Five years, eleven months and counting here.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I quit in '05. Ran the numbers, turns out we must have quit about the same time.

I realized the savings at first, after awhile you don't notice anymore. Neat to think of it though, $15k is impressive. As others mentioned, savings (monetarily and health wise) is probably a great deal more.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
I was smoking between two and three packs a day when I quit! Haven't had a cigarette since 10/1/71.

Quitting was my wedding present to my bride of 47+ years!

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit a heavy smoking habit in Oct. 28, 1994.....the day I had my triple bypass surgery. I haven't touched one since.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who don't smoke, and congratulations and kudos to all those who have quit. It's better for you and for the rest of us through our health insurance rates, second hand smoke, and general nuisance.

Between the ages 8 and 12, I watched my beloved but 2-pack-per-day grandfather waste away and die. He was 62 years old. I said then that I would never smoke a cigarette.

Considering that most kids in my high school who smoked started around age 15, that means I've saved almost 41.5 years of smoking. At his two packs per day, that would be just over 600,000 cigarettes.

And I haven't missed one of them.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were discussing how expensive smoking is today and were wondering how some heavy smokers can afford it at today's prices. Does anyone know just how much a pack of cigarettes costs in NYC today?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I quit cold turkey 2 years ago. Tired of feeling and smelling like crap. I doubt I would ever go back. I sure don't miss worrying about having enough cigs around the house, or stopping at the store everyday....If I could go back in time, I never would have started.

Now, If I could get my youngest brother to quit! I am 8 years older and have warned him about the damage smoking causes you can't undo.....I wish he would make a change, especially since he has a young child and another one on the way.....I'll keep busting his balls.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post