SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New (to me) firestarter to add to my repertoire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) firestarter to add to my repertoire Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I once got stuck out in the wilderness for a few days with no means to start a fire. I vowed then to never let that happen again, and I haven't. I always have at least three methods of starting a fire with me at all times when I'm out and about. Vaseline impregnated cotton balls in a film canister, BIC lighter, potassium permanganate and glycerine in their own (separate) bottles, magnesium shavings, Firesteel(s), flint and steel, char cloth, etc.... Always at least three in case two of them fail.

I'm perusing the Youtubes today, this video came up, and I thought it was a cool idea. So I made some.

I did change the recipe some. I used the same cotton rounds and paraffin, but cut way back on the lighter fluid. They were still rather soft, and stinky from the lighter fluid, so I coated them in beeswax which worked great to contain the smell, stiffen them up, make them more waterproof, and increase the burn time.

I tested them out by breaking/tearing in halfish, and it only took one hit from the Firesteel and I got a solid eight minutes of healthy burn from each little puck. Not bad at all!

They are the perfect size to stick a couple in a plastic Skoal can (or some other container) and tuck into the possibles bag.

My only concern is them getting too hot and melting some whilst in the get-home-bag that lives in my truck. That's one of the reasons I coated in beeswax as it has a little higher melting point than the paraffin. I'll test it out for the next few days and see how they do.

Just thought I'd share.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I went with the parafin and jute twine in a plastic soap box or emptied pill containers for easier stashing.

I always take them out and show off in front of my young nephews when we camp or do outdoor stuff. They think I'm some kind of outdoors guru, but I'm just a bored lazy old man who doesn't want to struggle starting fires.

I never thought to soak them in lighter fluid before immersing in wax though.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living in western MT, I also have 3 different methods for fire. My recipe for this type of use is gas/diesel/acetone/lighter fluid and polystyrene. Packing peanuts works great, doesn't really matter though. Mix with dryer lint, and pack in Copenhagen cans because they are cardboard and wax. Shelf stable, if you can call it that, to at least 100F in the truck. Easily burns for a couple of hours. Light it with whatever you have, including fire rods.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny stories with my experiences...

About 7 years ago, I bought a "mixed block" of wax from a candle maker. They dump leftovers into a bucket, so it is a mix of everything. This block contain a large amount of apple scented wax that was a pale green color.

I made several of the cotton pad firestarters, placing six in a ziploc bags to give to the homeless living in the woods near my house. One man immediately took one out an tried eating it. He thought it was some sort of new cookie. Now, I place notes in the bag in Spanish & English that these are firestarters and NOT food.

I tried the lighter fluid, but it was very smelly, and messy to work with. The cotton works well enough alone.

However, for starting a larger log, I use a bathroom sized paper cup with a wick. Stuff it with sawdust, lint from a dryer, etc. Then fill it with wax. The homeless friends love this type as it burns longer. The pads only burn about 5 minutes, the cups at least 15 mins. I have to have notes with the cup style too as one almost burned their tent down. They thought it was a candle for light.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1584 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did learn a tip recently from my homeless friends....

Expired hand sanitizer still has enough alcohol remaining to use as a refill for sterno cans. Since covid lock down, gaylords filled with the bottles are expiring faster than being used. This leads to cheap fuel for them.

Posts: 1584 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Not a fire starter per se, but a startable fire:
Small metal coffee can
Roll of toilet paper
Bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Put toilet paper in coffee can for safe storage, you never know when toilet paper might come in handy. Leave rubbing alcohol in bottle, it's good for some first aid type things.

Need a fire? Dump the rubbing alcohol in the can and light it up.

For those that like videos: (not my video)

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I use cardboard strips with gulf wax in a Altoid can. The lid also allows you to put it out quickly.

For car camping I use a mix of wood shavings from my chainsaw and diesel fuel.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve got about two cases of 16oz bottle of gel hand sanitizer left from da ‘Rona.

Keep one or two in my cars as well as a lighter and can always come up with paper or other items to light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here, all you need is the bic lighter. Lots of wood, and even when it's raining hard, you can find dry kindling.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post