SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kubota / compact tractor guys. Potential buy for me. UPDATE pg2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kubota / compact tractor guys. Potential buy for me. UPDATE pg2 Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Thinking of scratching an itch...
Saw a toy tractor for sale near me Big Grin a Kubota BX 2200 with loader. 2003 year model but has only 420 hours on it and from the photos it looks to have been be indoor kept. Haven't seen it in person. No paint faded etc. Seat is even good. Hardly any paint worn off the bucket. Hydro trans. 4 wheel drive. 22 HP. No mower deck, I have no idea how the 500 hours got put on it. Current owner, I think, is the second owner but has had it ~10 or 12 years and claims it is fully functional.

Guy wants 8k for it. My research puts that right at its value. The comparable tractors I priced out new would be double that at least.

I need it for gravel drive way maintenance and some landscaping on 3 of my properties for water drainage etc. Biggest property is 4 acre. Also the wife wants a garden again is I would likely add a tiller if I buy it. I will be buying both topsoil and gravel to spread.

I have a commercial Zero turn to mow with and nothing to bush hog so no cutter needed.

Opinions please!

Seller's Description
2003 Kubota BX2200 Diesel 4WD
Tractor has power steering and only 420 hours. All fluids and filters have been changed and everything is greased. Comes with the LA211 front end loader with bucket. 22hp 3 cylinder diesel motor. Machines weighs 2,600lbs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound bad for 500 hours with a loader.
As long as they have documentation.
Also being in Mid-TN, I've seen stories & heard about a lot of reselling of stolen equipment.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
you will always want a bigger tractor. But for what you describe it would be fine. Just look it over good. Do the grease zirks look greased? Make sure no rodents have got in it and made a nest or chewed things. Should be good to go. Seems like it is a good buy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
As long as they have documentation.
Also being in Mid-TN, I've seen stories & heard about a lot of reselling of stolen equipment.

Ya, I'll ask for a title... I have a request sent for viewing.

We built a house for a couple once... less then a year later he was busted for dealing in stolen tractors. Eek He was a nice enough guy to deal with for us though.
I think he lost the house and went to jail for a while IIRC. That was 30 or 40 years ago so nothing new I guess...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
you will always want a bigger tractor. But for what you describe it would be fine. Just look it over good. Do the grease zirks look greased? Make sure no rodents have got in it and made a nest or chewed things. Should be good to go. Seems like it is a good buy.

Will do... and look for welds and paint re-sprays. I was told by a tractor dealer once that if abused those mini tractors have been known to break in half (or at least crack the frame) due to their light weight framework.

The small size will be an asset for some of may planned work. Regrading a small tight yard for drainage. I just hope it has enough ummpf to dip gravel or dirt from a pile. I also need to cut a swag to channel water around my shop. Maybe 250 feet ling but only 6 inches to a foot deep. That might require ripper teeth on a box blade or something. I saw one guy do it with a root-tiller. Listen the soil then scoop up and move.

I had a budget of about 12 grand in mind but good deals on good compact tractors are few and far between her in slightly larger tractors.

I thought about a rental and have done that before but it runs into big bucks pretty quick.

posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with Kubota. My first one was
much like the one you're considering.
It as well as a larger one I bought were absolutely
fantastic. I longer I had them the more I appreciated them.
The larger one I wound up selling it to a good friend about twenty-five years ago.
I suspect it's still in fine shape.
If I was you I weouln't hesitate buying the one
you're interested in.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's a decent price for that unit.

It's easy to spend more than that and wind up with a lawn mower, not a tractor.

In my (limited) experience, people who buy BX's tend to take care of them and treat them like really expensive toys.

Pending inspection (check fluid levels and condition) and test drive, I'd be comfortable with that unit at that price.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I just hope it has enough ummpf to dip gravel or dirt from a pile.

You didn't mention a 3 point hitch at the rear, but I'm sure it has one. You will definitely need counterweight for moving buckets full of dirt/sand/gravel. Some guys fill their rear tires. You can buy a "weight box" from Kubota or aftermarket for the hitch. I made my own from a blue plastic barrel filled with concrete, buried a 3 point drawbar in the barrel, and set in some large pvc pipes for tool carrying. But you do need some sort of counterweight or you will be nose down quickly when scooping a bucket full. I get close to the pile, put it in 4WD low, lower the bucket to just above the ground, and goose it into the pile while lifting the bucket. It takes some practice.

For a counterweight, get the lift capacity of the FEL and aim to make the weight about the same poundage. Here's mine, about 800 lbs for my FEL's lift of 750 lbs, on a slightly larger 30hp Kubota. The counterweight is the key to FEL lifting.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Nice set up!! I have a L-39 and also use ammo boxes for tool storage. Smile

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the tractor is in good shape and not "hot" that is a good price with those low hours. Trying to look up the weight on that unit seems to come up with a bunch of different numbers. No big deal but 2600 lbs. seems a bit high for that unit unless it has added weights. They can do more work than you might think.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Trying to look up the weight on that unit seems to come up with a bunch of different numbers. No big deal but 2600 lbs. seems a bit high

I don't know where he got the 2600 lb number. I hope it is high.
I found the bare tractor should be 1600 and the loader close to 500.
The tires should hold about 120 in the rears, maybe another 50 in the front. I don't see any weights.

My trailer is rated to carry 23 or 2400 I think so close to it's limit, but I will not need to move it very often.

We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pretty nice tractor given the age and the price. Can’t tell if it has the 3 pt hitch or not but I assume it does. Any chance it’s a grey market machine? If so parts can be hard to get sometimes. Sounds like it would fit the bill for what you want. Plan on making several passes with a box blade but it will work. Also nice to have the Ag tires as well for your plans. Good luck and be safe.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

For a counterweight, get the lift capacity of the FEL and aim to make the weight about the same poundage. Here's mine, about 800 lbs for my FEL's lift of 750 lbs, on a slightly larger 30hp Kubota. The counterweight is the key to FEL lifting.

Photo doesn't show for me...
A box blade at ~400 pounds would go a long way toward enough counter weight.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
Can’t tell if it has the 3 pt hitch or not but I assume it does. Any chance it’s a grey market machine? If so parts can be hard to get sometimes. Sounds like it would fit the bill for what you want. Plan on making several passes with a box blade but it will work. Also nice to have the Ag tires as well for your plans. Good luck and be safe.

Yea 3 point hitch, cat 1 I, but a drawbar was strangely an option so it may not have that.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure you know this but when you have the bucket loaded and are moving, keep it low to the ground. These things can tip over on bumpy ground or when turning with a high loaded bucket.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I feel that's a fair price, especially in today's market. There should be a manual for both the tractor and loader. Something to check, BX series don't have a lot of ground clearance and there's a fan underneath which cools the HST that is pretty easy to break, and my understanding a bit of a job to replace.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kubota BX 23S new a couple years ago.
The dealer had a sales package with a trailer. I upgraded the trailer and added a 60" mower,forks,stump ripper,and a post hole digger along with some smaller extras like a trailer pulling attachment and upgraded 3 point hitch.I also had the rear tires "loaded"

As has been said before, Its like a Swiss Army knife. It does many tasks but non as good or better than a dedicated piece of equipment. For me its great, I'm in no hurry and it dig's holes much better than me with a shovel. It cuts grass good enough for my needs.
It let me down last Winter with snow removal.The very small Kubota fuel filters clogged up from the fuel gelling. It stopped outside my garage in the alley. It is no light weight and getting it back into the garage was a hard task. I will be changing the fuel filter system before cold weather, bad design on Kubotas part.

As far as price for the one your looking at,I have heard that all farm equipment especially the small BX line are hard to find. Many Dealers are very short of inventory and if you find one I doubt you will find any "deals".
If you find the price reasonable buy it.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Kubota dealer will be happy to run the VIN to check for reports of it being stolen, recalls, etc. Bought mine new in 17, still about my favorite toy. If you can justify it, a backhoe is very useful, and makes a great counterweight for the scoop of gravel.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can go to ironappraiser.com, enter the hours and options on the tractor and get a normalized market value in your region for $20.00.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I had a 2200 for about a decade. Wonderful machine. The loader is a bit anemic, but the mower is a super hero.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post