SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell service cell phone question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell service cell phone question Login/Join 
posted
Why can't we get two cell phones on the same line ?

So either one of us can answer the call ,text, or email.

Two people,two cell phones , 1 line.
Like the good old days.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54497 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I don't know about 2 phones, but my iPhone and my iPad are set up like this. They both get the same calls, text's, etc. So I don't see why it wouldn't work. Its been a few years since I set it up but I think I chose to clone my iPhone and its number when I setup the iPad.
The iPad does still have an different underlying phone number but the cloned number overrides it. I do still have to pay the monthly fee for both devices though.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Don’t quote me on this but I think Google Voice does that.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I know you can enter the same email addresses into different iPhones and send or receive from either phone.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Have you tried searching on things like "two cell phones on one number"?

In short: It's possible, depending. I don't know if the various solutions work the same as two phones on a single landline, though. E.g.: Both phones ring. Can both pick it up, or does the first one to grab it win?

Or what happens when one phone wants to call the other? E.g.: z If you call the shared number, does the other phone ring, or is the number regarded as busy?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When wired correctly the old land lines could call each other.

I think you only dialed four numbers

Posts: 54497 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Don’t quote me on this but I think Google Voice does that.
Yes, it does.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Nonsense.

At a business, where they have a PBX (Private Branch Exchange, aka: "phone switch") or Centex (Central Office Exchange) service: Sure. But on a single POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line, which residences almost invariably had? No. There is no way, either in the central office switching equipment or the customer premises telephone sets, to provide for that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the Apple Watch cellular and iPhone can operate on the same number without being in proximity to one another I suspect it can be done. I do know you have to pay for another service line (on my carrier at least) but it would appear to be possible. Not sure about calling between them though.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We wouldn't need to call one phone to the other

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How 'bout using two cell phones, each with its own number.

Add a Google Voice number (free) and set it to ring both cell phones.

Now, when anybody calls the Google Voice number, both cell phones will ring, the call can be answered from either one.

The cell phones can call each other.

Very flexible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose call forwarding would do the job for the OP? It's easily done on cell phones.

I do this from time to time on our cell phones and also do it with my Vonage number to my cell occasionally.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with two cell phones when I gave up my landline. Works fine. I use one number for PITA types who insist on me providing my number to them in order to conduct business. I never answer it but check the voice mail once a day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I went with two cell phones when I gave up my landline. Works fine. I use one number for PITA types who insist on me providing my number to them in order to conduct business. I never answer it but check the voice mail once a day.

You can do the same thing with a dual SIM card and it's much more convenient.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Nonsense.

At a business, where they have a PBX (Private Branch Exchange, aka: "phone switch") or Centex (Central Office Exchange) service: Sure. But on a single POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line, which residences almost invariably had? No. There is no way, either in the central office switching equipment or the customer premises telephone sets, to provide for that.

I believe It was 9191 (for a constant ring) or 9190 (for a regular ring). You’d dial the 4 numbers and held the hangup button down until the ringing stopped signaling another phone in the house was picked up. We called it intercom mode.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Nonsense.

Remember this movie? “Check the children.”

Oh God, this goes back a lot of years... my friends and I had much discussion about how this was possible.

There was a "test number" that you could dial, and then hang up, and then it would ring your own number, and everyone would pick up the phone and you could talk.

Unless one has a sperate FAX line or other line like for a business, that test number is the closest thing that we can could up with at the time. Of course, this movie pre--dates the era when separate FAX lines to a home were common. A separate "business" line, perhaps.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I believe It was 9191 (for a constant ring) or 9190 (for a regular ring). You’d dial the 4 numbers and hold the hangup button until the ringing stopped signaling another phone in the house was picked up.
That's called a Ringback number

It's not really meant for customers to use that way, but, of course, those numbers were bound to get out there and be used that way.

Still wasn't a way of one phone to call another, per se.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How 'bout using two cell phones, each with its own number.

Add a Google Voice number (free) and set it to ring both cell phones.

Now, when anybody calls the Google Voice number, both cell phones will ring, the call can be answered from either one.

The cell phones can call each other.

Very flexible.
This. In fact pretty much any SIP provider (AKA VoIP) can do this. I use VoIP.ms, and can recommend them highly. There is a minimal per-minute fee but they are much more capable and flexible than Google Voice.

Posts: 6396 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post