SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can anybody ID this old automobile?... family pic...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anybody ID this old automobile?... family pic... Login/Join 
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted
On several occasions I have told my wife that the answers to most questions can be determined on the Sig Forum. She is now calling my bluff and wanting to know what brand/type/name automobile this is that her grandfather is leaning on. Would love to hear any knowledgeable opinions, thanks!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It appears to be a Ford model T, without the Ford emblem on the radiator. The number of spokes is the same, the front frame and headlights are the same, it just has a truck body on it probably originally sold as a work truck but someone was using it for camping? With the soft top on the back.(can’t tell very good as I’m on a tablet)

Definitely an early model as the wheel spokes are wooden and they were phased out fairly quickly.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It appears to be a Ford model T, without the Ford emblem on the radiator. The number of spokes is the same, the front frame and headlights are the same, it just has a truck body on it probably originally sold as a work truck but someone was using it for camping? With the soft top on the back.
^^^^^^

what he said. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat photo. Side note.....no front brakes! Safety third, Henry.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The Family Truckster from National Lampoon Vacation 1920.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It appears to be a Ford model T, without the Ford emblem on the radiator. The number of spokes is the same, the front frame and headlights are the same, it just has a truck body on it probably originally sold as a work truck but someone was using it for camping? With the soft top on the back.(can’t tell very good as I’m on a tablet)

Definitely an early model as the wheel spokes are wooden and they were phased out fairly quickly.
I'm guessing early-mid '20s Model T, also. The painted radiator cowl makes me think that, and the transverse-leaf spring pack is also a highly identifiable T feature. I think it's a TT.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I don't know the vehicle but the man looks a whole lot like my father did as a young man. Picture is a bit fuzzy to be sure.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Picture is a bit fuzzy to be sure.

Camera was same vintage as the vehicle.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted Hide Post
The most shocking part is that it took 10 minutes to get the answer
You guys are slipping.

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool photo! The T looks like a huckster or an express body with side curtains. What’s the story with this picture? Where was he and what was he doing? Curious about the boots.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I Googled Ford Model TT. Here is an example image and info.
https://www.classicautomall.co...del-tt-1-ton-flatbed

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
THANKS for everyone's help, and I think the Sig Forum has nailed it, as usual. My wife will be impressed.

The man in the picture is William DeWalt, and it was taken in 1925 on his honeymoon when he 21 years old. His father ran a plant nursey, so it makes sense they would have a work truck, which William probably borrowed for his wedding trip. William's uncle was the original DeWalt of DeWalt tools, having invented the radial arm saw, and the company went from there.

Thanks again!

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
More importantly is that I’m not a car guy....but as soon as I saw it I knew, looked at a google pic of a model t and started counting spokes...my grandmother she often of her family’s first car and showed pictures to us of them on trips...the wheels are what did it for me.

IIRC, Ford started the Kingsford charcoal business by using the wood scraps from making the wheels....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post