SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Customer gave a $65 tip and an airplane. What do I have, and how do I learn to fly it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customer gave a $65 tip and an airplane. What do I have, and how do I learn to fly it? Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You'll have to become a Naval Aviator if you want to do cat shots.

And yeah, I'd have taken the others. Emblems can be painted over.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
RC flight simulators are great. I used one called Real Flight for a couple of months in the winter and when spring finally arrived, I just flew. I also had the help of my brother who’s flown for years.

Enjoy the new hobby.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From what I recall, the hardest part with RC was perspective. When it coming toward you L is R & R is L. Took some sim time to get it down from anything that wasn't flying directly away.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15398 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This summer will be my 37th year flying R/C. Everything from small electric prop planes to turbine powered jets.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Ok guys, we're gonna need a nickname for Skins if he's going to be a naval aviator. Maverick & Goose are already taken.
Ideas? Razz

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
This summer will be my 37th year flying R/C. Everything from small electric prop planes to turbine powered jets.

Can you suggest an inexpensive controller? Any info on this specific plane? How about a cheap trainer?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20849 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

Ok guys, we're gonna need a nickname for Skins if he's going to be a naval aviator. Maverick & Goose are already taken.
Ideas? Razz

Trojan?

Oxford?

Seriously, though- cool customer to offer that up. Good luck with it!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know tequila shots, vodka shots, and whiskey shots, but how in the blue blazes do you get a cat into one of those little glasses?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I could fly that toy like it's nobody's business!

I flew them for 10 years and keep a flying toy around at all times.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34148 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I could fly that toy like it's nobody's business!

I flew them for 10 years and keep a flying toy around at all times.

Well then, help me out. What the heck do I do with this thing?

Buy controller, go all out, try with no experience and crash during take off or shortly after?

Buy some kind of simulator as others suggested. If I do how does a simulator work?

Buy cheapo similar thing to crash to learn first?

Find hobby club/forum (and how/where to look)?

Throw the damn monkey paw away before it costs me everything?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20849 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:

Can you suggest an inexpensive controller? Any info on this specific plane? How about a cheap trainer?

I have been flying R/C since 1976, so yeah, I've been at it a while! Since the airplane is labeled as having AS3X stabilization, it is obviously a JR/Spektrum based airborne system. For an inexpensive transmitter I'd recommend the Spektrum DX6E. I have one for flying simple electric models and it is a fantastic radio for little money!

While most people would recommend a tricycle landing gear arrangement for a first trainer (nosewheel and two mains) over a tail-dragger setup, it would be really hard to go wrong with an E-Flite "Timber". It is an STOL model of 1.2M span, electric powered, big-ass tundra tires on articulated sprung landing gear that'll fly off of practically any surface, full lighting already installed, very rugged EPP foam construction, bind-n-fly radio already setup including AS3X stabilization AND automatic flight attitude recovery (user can turn this off after they learn to fly; I never had it on since I already knew how). Also includes leading-edge slats which will give you take-offs and landings in as little as 3 feet (literally), and flaps already installed and setup (don't have to use them until you learn to fly, unless you just want to). Cost is $249.00 out of the box, practically ready to fly; very minor assembly required. All you need to add is your transmitter and battery pack for the motor (3S 2200-3200mAh LiPo). I typically fly right at 10 minutes on the 2200mAh packs with plenty of reserve, but I also fly gently per full-scale practice, using full-throttle ONLY on take-offs. All cruising is done at 1/2 power or less...

I absolutely LOVE my Timber and fly it out of local school yards most of the time off of unused soccer fields or other grass surfaces. I've even flown it into a light pole at one school due to not paying close enough attention, and the damage was minor!

Oh, and I almost forgot... it also comes with floats so you can switch over to flying off of water once you learn how well enough, and they're NICE floats too, with retractable water rudders and everything!!!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/timber-bnf-basic-efl5250

Posts: 4613 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend you find an R/C club near you. Almost all of them have a training program of some sort. That is the best insurance for actually soloing without a disastrous crash. Absolutely the best ways to have the answers to the multitudes of questions you have and will have.

One of the best combinations out there for new pilots to learn on is the E-Flite Apprentice:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/a...B-technology-efl3180

The Academy of Model Aircraft offers a search page to find clubs in your area:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/club-finder?code=63303

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Ahh, I forgot about the Apprentice! Definitely a better training option than the Timber!

Posts: 4613 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My thoughts would be it’s free. Is this something you want to do?
If so, get it up in the air. What’s the worst that happens? You crash a free plane.
Then you take the parts and build a new one.

Not something you care to do, take it out and put some tannerite on it. Kamikaze!!!!

You should have taken all three. So what if they had swastikas. Noting a can of rust-o-leum wouldn’t have covered.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RC types seem to be very friendly and helpful.

I wanted to practice taking pictures of birds, but the birds wouldn't cooperate. I went to our local RC club and asked them if they minded if I took pictures.

They said "Sure!"

Every few minutes or so, someone would come over and talk to me. Ask me what I was doing, and if I would want to try out their hobby.

I thanked them profusely, and told them I already had a few addictions er hobbies, and I knew how this would go....I'd get hooked, and broke at the same time.

They kept offering, and the showed me how easy it would be to fly.

Really nice group of people.

Enjoy your new hobby.

Best,

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
My thoughts would be it’s free. Is this something you want to do?
If so, get it up in the air. What’s the worst that happens? You crash a free plane.
Then you take the parts and build a new one.

Not something you care to do, take it out and put some tannerite on it. Kamikaze!!!!

You should have taken all three. So what if they had swastikas. Noting a can of rust-o-leum wouldn’t have covered.

Shooting #8 at it with a 12 gauge would be more fun than the tannerite……...but you're right all 3 planes would give you 2 options to figure out whether you want to shoot down the third plane or blow it up. Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post