SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I have chicken pox (shingles related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I have chicken pox (shingles related) Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
Recent threads on the shingles vaccine have me wondering. I was born 1 of 4 in the 70’s. My mom couldn’t remember if I ever had the Chicken Pox. I don’t have any scars.

I’m wondering if I can get a test to find out. That way I can rule out getting the vaccine, right?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
If you never had the chicken pox, you won't need the vaccine. I did have them when I was 4 years old, so I went ahead and had the shingles vaccine. My mother and my uncle both got a case of the shingles, and it was horrible for them. I mean, just horrible.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10863 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, an ELISA will show if you have antibodies. If you haven’t had chicken pox, and you’re an adult, (clearly) I’d consider getting the chicken pox vaccine, or at least talking to your doc about it.
It can render adults sterile, and the virus hangs out forever, iirc, in the trigeminal nerve.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5507 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I had chicken pox as a kid and I had the older shingles vaccine about two years ago. I came down with shingles recently and was prescribed Valtrex. My episode wasn't as bad as many.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
The new Shingrix vaccine is 90% effective. I had my second (of two) shots last week. I had a slightly sore arm for a day. No big deal. Trust me, you do NOT want shingles. Get the vaccine.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post