SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What motivates you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What motivates you? Login/Join 
posted
What motivates you? It can be a song, peom, or phrase. Perhaps more practical, like wanting to live the good life or provide for your family, so you work hard.

Many of those things work for me overall, but lately, I have been worn down into a tired funk mood.

Two things sparked me up again for doing things I have been putting off. First was a comment from a co-worker a while ago, saying "You might as well do that task now. You will have to address it regardless of when, so do it now and get it done!". The second, of all things, a fortune cookie saying something to the effect of...."The smallest deed is better than the greatest intention".
So, I started small and before long, I'm going full speed ahead again.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
What motivated me when I was working and owned my business was a goal I had for the future.

When I got there, I slowed down and ultimately retired.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Money !

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Cash incentive is a good motivator, but it can get very complicated when you think of other forms of motivation.

Still everything goes through a basic cost/benefit analysis. What do I get? What do I lose/pay?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I get motivated by being able to make things happen.

Not really bothered by obstacles as long as progress is being made.

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pride and I guess to some extent ego. I guess both of those things contribute to work ethic.

I’m only good at a few things. And I try to excel at what I’m good at. My career is highly specialized these days and I do a job that few people understand or have a care that it gets done. But, I believe in it and look at things from the big picture of Is society better at the end of the day.

What I don’t have is an idea or belief that I’m something special for doing it. I have a guy that I’m training in hopes that when I’m gone, he ll take over and keep up the good work. He’s younger, but I see the same work ethic in him.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Having an empty nest after 20 years and finally kicking the black hole of misery that is my ex outta my life I can finally concentrate on just that.
I think of opportunity I either missed or passed up while living my life in a way that didn't make sense to me so long and it makes me want to get up and simply get after whatever happens to lie ahead.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
First and foremost I am motivated by growing up the youngest of 4 boys with an alcoholic father who gambled (what money he had left after beer) away and being poor. Often times we ate food from a rescue mission my Mom volunteered at and not I didn't get any new clothes until I was a teen and my 2nd oldest brother joined the Air Force and bought me new clothes. I will never forget the kindness my brother showed me and 3rd oldest brother by buying us clothes and other items with some of his 1st paychecks after joining the Air Force.

I am also motivated by being a better father to my children than my dad was to me. My boys are now 15 and 16 and live me with me. We don't always get along but I tell them daily how much I love them and how proud of them I am. They are both close to getting their temps/license and a job; and perhaps in a few years move out(one can hope Big Grin.) Hopefully they will take the lessons I've tried to teach them and be even more successful than I have been.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Fear. No greater motivator than fear --- at least for a while, until the fear turns into plain old stress.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was employed, I learned that you can indeed put off things indefinitely.

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Pride.

I like to be proud of my accomplishments.

I will sometimes draft an email, then go back and read it and think to myself, "Damn, that is a good email." I like that feeling. It's what I go for.

You'll see that motivation reflected in non work related projects. How's the sear on that steak? How about that screw, is it snugged down just right? How about that knife, want to see how sharp I got it? Did all the threads on that spark plug get an even coat of anti-seize?

Go big or go home.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Having become a consummate cynic and nihilist, I can only find true motivation in small doses by doing things well whenever possible.

It's a crummy way to live. I hope to one day find a way out of it that lets me stay alive.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I set myself very high goals in high school, and refused to fail!! I got set-backs, but never quit. I did reach my goals, and I am pleased with myself. Sometimes I think maybe I should have stopped to "smell the roses", but I didn't.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Pride and I guess to some extent ego. ...

This

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Money, return business, "thank you" or any other genuine praise from a customer. An honest to goodness "thank you" from my customers go a long way with me.

They can (and are, occasionally) assholes, which is when money is the motivator.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Another one for taking pride in my accomplishments.

When I was younger, if something broke or just did not work any more, I just replaced it or paid someone else to fool with it. Not anymore. I really do enjoy fixing things to get them working again. Oh, I'm not always successful but that doesn't matter. I still take pride in the effort.

Also, this has lead me to learn new things, like welding and soldering, small engine repair, actually understanding how an electrical Multimeter works.

I have learned a lot of new things over the last few years and I really like that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
God. My bills. My fleet of vehicles. My k9. At work, my members. Gym, every night, fighting the old man that is coming with everything I have. Been self motivated my whole life because nobody else is going to do it for me!

Currently it’s the house. Trying to wait out this remodel fiasco pricing. I want to get it done so I can enjoy the home for 5-7 years, get some more appreciation and get the fuck out of the suburban/city area and go hardcore rural with a metal building with a 4000 sq ft garage, at least 20 acres, and away from most humans. Will take staying on point for years on end to achieve.

Nobody else believes in your dreams but you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post