SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contribution to SigForum cookbook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contribution to SigForum cookbook Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

With apologies to anyone from Louisiana Razz

My wife's take on Chicken Gumbo.

Boil whole chicken with onion, celery, carrots etc.

Mix in large pot:

2 quarts of strained chicken broth from boiling the boid.
Tennis ball-sized onion, chopped.
3 sticks of de-stringed celery, chopped.
1/2 to 2/3 of a can of plain diced tomatoes (not with the other veggies or seasonings mixed in)
Salt and Pepper to taste.
1/2 cup of mild Ortega salsa (more to taste as it nears finish cooking, and the hot stuff if that's your thing.)
As much pulled chicken as you like.
Chopped peppers. My wife likes to use the red/orange/yellow/green bell-type peppers for the color.

Bring mixture to boil, add 1/2 16oz box of your favorite pasta. We like Ditalini.

Cook at low boil until the pasta is done, stirring often enough to keep the pasta from sticking.

When pasta is done, add about a cup of frozen Okra (WalMart has it) simmer 10-ish minutes at low heat until okra is done to your preference. We like it a little crunchy. Obviously, if you're lucky enough to be able to grow it, use fresh okra.

Our usual sequence is:

Boil the bird, strain and save the broth.

Day One: Chicken Breasts in Lemon sauce with boiled potatoes and a veggie. Pick the rest of the meat off the carcass and save.

Day Two: Rappy Pie. (A French-Canadian delicacy, details upon request)

Day Three: Chicken Fajitas

Day Four: Chicken a la King

Day Five: Chicken Gumbo.

Day Six: Anything but chicken...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
rappy pie??

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
rappy pie??

From the French(Canadian) It is sometimes referred to as "rapure pie" or "râpure". Its name is derived from the French "patates râpées" meaning "grated potatoes".

Basically a potato pie with bits of chicken in it.

1. Wash and peel about a 5 pound bag of potatoes.

2. Chop the potatoes up into small enough chunks to go into a food processor.

3. Grind them up in the processor to about the consistency of runny oatmeal.

4. Using a linen towel (we bought a pack of cloth diapers for this step) squeeze the water out of the potatoes until they are about the consistency of damp sawdust.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all the potatoes have been processed.

6. "Reconsitute" the potatoes using the chicken broth from boiling the bird. You want them to be about the same consistency as when originally ground.

7. In a suitably sized pan, layer about half the potato mixture in the bottom.

8. Add a layer of pulled chicken. A mixture of dark and light meat is best, avoid putting too much in.

9. Layer the rest of the potato mixture over the top.

10. Using a cheese slicer, peel strips of REAL BUTTER off a stick and lay them on top of the mixture.

11. Bake @ 400° for about 2 hours.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
gonna have to try that one,

sounds tasty!

Thanks

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Has your wife ever started off the gumbo by making a roux (i.e. the base of gumbo)?

For example, Louisiana Chef John Folse starts his gumbo off with 1 cup vegetable oil and slowly adds in 1.5 cups of flour until he has a golden roux.

Then, he adds "the trinity" (onion, bell peppers, and celery) along with garlic and sautees until veggies are wilted.

Then you can add in all of your chicken stock and seasoning. Bring to boil then turn down til a simmer

Add in your meats and other veggies (okra, mushrooms, etc).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Has your wife ever started off the gumbo by making a roux (i.e. the base of gumbo)?

Nope, but I'll mention it to her. We've just started working with it, so plenty of room for improvement.

She's allergic to garlic so that's out, but the rest sounds good.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No roux or filé... and pasta?

I don't know what that is, and it sounds kinda tasty, but it ain't gumbo. Big Grin

Spicy chicken noodle stew?

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Nope, but I'll mention it to her. We've just started working with it, so plenty of room for improvement.

The main components of gumbo are the roux and the trinity. After that, it's completely open to your imagination. I mainly make chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, but you can add all manor of seafood and combinations of meats. My buddy from Louisiana makes a fantastic "kitchen sink" gumbo (essentially every land based and sea based meat he can get his hands on) and right at the end he poaches a couple eggs in the simmering gumbo (the spicy eggs are delicious).

BTW, I'm a flagrant cheater when it comes to gumbo. Since I'm too lazy to brown the flour I use Dogout's Roux (a different friend from Louisiana turned me on to this), Savoies Light Roux, a powdered gumbo base (e.g. Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's), or Bayou Brothers Gumbo Starter (this is the laziest but still good).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No roux or filé... and pasta?

I don't know what that is, and it sounds kinda tasty, but it ain't gumbo. Big Grin

Spicy chicken noodle stew?

Roux is the essential starting point for gumbo. Sounds like a good soup, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
How does a Cajun make ice cream ?

Well, first ya' make a roux . . . Wink

God rest your soul, Justin Wilson Big Grin

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's allergic to garlic so that's out

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17192 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh man! That's tragic.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:

Oh man! That's tragic.

Yeah, I honestly feel pretty bad for her reading that. There’s so many foods I simply can’t imagine enjoying without it.

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Irreconcilable differences on the divorce papers. Big Grin

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
How does a Cajun make ice cream ?

Well, first ya' make a roux . . . Wink

God rest your soul, Justin Wilson Big Grin

Dats about right, cher. I garontee.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post