SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Atmos ceiling firing speakers 101, please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atmos ceiling firing speakers 101, please. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Can someone please explain in simple terms what’s the deal with the angled speakers that aim for the ceiling?

As distance to the surface and bounce angle vary, i fail to understand how these fancy speakers are supposed to work.

Thank you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, up firing need to have relatively low ceilings to work well.
With varying angles and heights, a good AV receiver can make the necessary time/delay adjustments so they get to the listener on time.
They utilize a mic and calibration software.
Better to have down firing for Atmos but that is not always possible.
Still, it can be challenging to correctly align for proper or optimum sound.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Up firing speakers, that are designed to hit the ceiling, and bounce the sound back down, are not the ideal choice for Atmos. What is, per Dolby’s own specs, is ceiling mounted speakers firing down at you, or what I did, on wall, front and rear, aimed at the MLP. I run 7.2.4. My 4 Atmos speakers are full range. They are mounted at the top of the walls and angled down towards my MLP. 2 in front and 2 in the rear.

IIRC, ceiling mounted, if doing 2 speakers only, mount them over the MLP. If doing 4, mount 2 in front of the MLP, and 2 behind the MLP.

MLP = Main listening position

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Can someone please explain in simple terms what’s the deal with the angled speakers that aim for the ceiling?

As distance to the surface and bounce angle vary, i fail to understand how these fancy speakers are supposed to work.

Thank you.

0-0

They largely don't. Atmos isn't really very effective without at least four Atmos satellites anyway. I have a 7.2.4 Atmos system in my basement with ceiling speakers. Keep in mind that your source material has to have an Atmos track for it bring them into play in the first place (most new releases in 4k do).

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8798 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In our last home, I had a 7.1 speaker system powered by a Denon AVR-X3600H receiver. I added two atmos speakers to a shelf above my TV to shoot sound at the ceiling. After simple calibration with the Denon's remote microphone, I noticed no real difference. But it was cool to say I had a 7.1.2 system.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More designed for object based surround sound which is becoming more common at the house. I’ve found upward firing speakers don’t do much. I have 6 down firing front, side and back heights. I also have an acoustic tile ceiling which prevents reflection. Every room is different

Here is a good article

The people at Trinnov are doing some cutting edge stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I live in the land of rare and expensive and just noticed none of the local offerings are under $1200 for said Atmos speakers.
Doesn’t make much sense compared to other regular shaped boxes, no technological breakthrough added to the components inside. Yet they charge a lot more for these.

Most buildings are made of brick and concrete. Little chance of finding in-wall speakers outside some fancy boss office or meeting room.

I’m a strong believer of the more than he merrier when it comes to speakers but in the real wirld space is really limited. An Atmos source material that really interests me to the point of such a large (for me) investment is very hard to come by.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Apparently Atmos is being forced on the music industry. Or they're forcing it on their producers. So it will be the way music is formatted in the future for a lot of artists.

I don't plan on updating to it, though.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I live in the land of rare and expensive and just noticed none of the local offerings are under $1200 for said Atmos speakers.
Doesn’t make much sense compared to other regular shaped boxes, no technological breakthrough added to the components inside. Yet they charge a lot more for these.

Most buildings are made of brick and concrete. Little chance of finding in-wall speakers outside some fancy boss office or meeting room.

I’m a strong believer of the more than he merrier when it comes to speakers but in the real wirld space is really limited. An Atmos source material that really interests me to the point of such a large (for me) investment is very hard to come by.

0-0

None of my height speakers are “atmos certified” (pretty sure that’s an additional expense to label them as such) All work just fine. A mix between focal dome and almost 20 yr old monitor audio radius 90’s

With as good as the built in AVR calibration programs are, I don’t worry about “matched” speakers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post